High Voltage Power Lines

Hi

Looking at a few places recently and some have been in close proximity to high voltage power lines. As an investor would you stay away from these properties even if in a good location with good services and infrastructure?
Is the risk the potential to sell down the track?
Please share your thoughts / experiences.

1. Agree with dave can affect LMI depending how close,
2. Can affect revaluation
3. Can affect sales price

Depending how close it is to the property.

Leo

I have a friend who has one that backs on to high voltage lines. He never has any trouble renting it at the same rent as those that don't. So I don't think too many people are concerned by potential health hazards. I do think buyers are concerned that other buyers (when they sell) will be put off and that effects the ease and price when selling.

It wouldn't worry me if I could get it at significant discount, intend to hold long term and knew I wouldn't need to sell in a hurry.

What's a significant discount (to similar places with no lines) though?

Ive lived in my house 10 years - only recently realised there are high voltage power lines about 500m away. I've never noticed them. I have probably seen them, they have just not registered as something of concern.

I've got an HV power line easement over the corner of my backyard. Bought my property for $765k earlier this year while others in the area are going for well over a million.
One sold for $1.5M and it's less than 200m from my place.

So it's at least a 30% discount, I would say.

Two of my Coolbellup cheapies are close to lines like this. I have never had a problem getting good rental money for them - comparable to my Coobie places that are not close to such lines. It may be a different story when I eventually come to sell them - but they'll be 4-baggers anyway :D.

cheers

Also depends on the voltage. Big differences between a 66kV "HV" line and a 500kV HV line (very big pylons). And everything in between...

If when you stand outside the house at night, holding up a fluoro tube by one end, and it glows - then you are too close! :)

But actually I just tend to avoid - never seen a decent enough discount to overcome my aesthetic objections...

If they were wind turbines though, I'd be in like Flynn!

Back