High Yielding Shares Again

I use the VAS ETF too. Vanguard also has a higher yielding EFT (VHY), which is currently forecasting 5.5% @ nearly 90% franked. If you can stomach the volatility of the share indices, which iron themselves out in the long run, these make an excellent low-effort, high-return, tax-effective income streams.

Mix in some leverage at around 40% LVR then the 9.5% - 10% long term market return becomes close to 16%-17% . Not a bad return for passive investment.

Cheers,
Oracle.

MTR, if I was in your position, I would forget trying to pick individual shares and go with an Index Fund. Vanguard have a High Yield ASX Fund.

You can check out their range of funds here:

https://www.vanguardinvestments.com.au/retail/ret/investments/managed-funds-retail.jsp#fundstab

Too many people have mentioned Vanguard, so I need to investigate this further. As I mentioned in one of my posts, I tread lightly with managed funds, ie fees, no control. Also I have memories of SS members getting burnt some years ago with Macquarie Fund, this fund apparently protected the initial asset base, but it went pear shaped. I never invested in this product but I am sure there are those still recovering.

I like what China has to say, at some point you just have to jump in.

Anyway, I am going to check this out today.

With Vanguard if anyone was investing with them I was wondering...

Why the High Yield fund over the ASX300?

Managed or ETF and why?

I invest in ASX300 ETF. Mainly because it tracks the ASX300 index which has historically produced around 6-7% CG and 3-4% dividend yield (+franking credits). Resulting in 10-11% long term returns.

I am still in my accumulation stage so income is not as important as CG. And total returns are much more important then individual returns of CG or dividend.

Reason for using ETF is it is easy to setup margin loan with broker and buy ETF just like you buy shares in individual companies. Also, structure of ETF makes them more tax efficient compared to index funds, because units in ETFs can be created/destroyed without triggering CGT to the ETF holder. The CGT is beared by the market makers responsible for managing the creation/destruction of units.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Good thread MTR.

i think a combination of RIPs and high yielding securities with a small proportion of TDs is going to be my income stream when i pull the pin. the % split between these classes is yet to be determined.

Yes, I cant just continue with resi property, its incredibly high maintenance, I recently offloaded old properties and now building/developing, however still have tenants etc to deal with. I had 2 trashings this year, where the tenants left all their goods behind, anyway enough of my ranting and raving.

The point is share market is perhaps more volatile but I guess if one can have a balance it could work out well, blue chip shares and quality resi properties.

Cheers
MTR:)

Yes, I cant just continue with resi property, its incredibly high maintenance, I recently offloaded old properties and now building/developing, however still have tenants etc to deal with. I had 2 trashings this year, where the tenants left all their goods behind, anyway enough of my ranting and raving.

The point is share market is perhaps more volatile but I guess if one can have a balance it could work out well, blue chip shares and quality resi properties.

Cheers

It is always sad to hear about bad tenant experience, luckily enough, so far, I have never had any issues in this regards.

But I think shares would have its own intangible problems
As with any form of investments really

Income in favour of capital growth.

Doesn't seem to be a huge difference and the growth pretty much tracks each other looking at a chart

They have different MER's also and as John Bogle says, costs matter

A managed index fund is an oxymoron: if it's indexed to an indice, what exactly is being 'managed'?.

ETFs are lower cost (eg 0.15% for VAS) but are slightly more complex to buy as you need a trading account.

Hi Homepage, if you go the website you will see Vanguard Australia offer Retail Managed and Wholesale Managed

There would have to be some kind of management, the index funds may not be as 'active' as others ;)

Vanguards Aussie Index is only the top 300 and a number of their other funds are specific (i.e. the high yield and property funds), all would see some companies drop in and out over their lifespan?

I am personally staying in the "property related" field with

1. listed property companies/stapled securities

2. unlisted property trusts

The Y-man

As I mentioned in one of my posts, I tread lightly with managed funds, ie fees, no control.

Vanguard has traditionally very low fees, due to being an Index Fund. It depends on how much you want be involved in the whole process. Personally I think purchasing shares because they have a high yield is akin to buying just any property because the rents are high. It's not a great strategy.

Remember, you are buying a piece of a business. A business that by all intents and purposes might not be there in five years or something happens and they have to cut their dividends or a myriad of other issues. If you don't know much about the market, best to suck up the cost of having the professionals manage it for you so you can concentrate on other things.

Vanguard has traditionally very low fees, due to being an Index Fund. It depends on how much you want be involved in the whole process. Personally I think purchasing shares because they have a high yield is akin to buying just any property because the rents are high. It's not a great strategy.

Remember, you are buying a piece of a business. A business that by all intents and purposes might not be there in five years or something happens and they have to cut their dividends or a myriad of other issues. If you don't know much about the market, best to suck up the cost of having the professionals manage it for you so you can concentrate on other things.

I hear what you are saying and agree with this. So what I want is a good business to start with that also provides high yield, is this not possible? For example bank shares CBA??

Personally I think purchasing shares because they have a high yield is akin to buying just any property because the rents are high. It's not a great strategy.

Remember, you are buying a piece of a business. A business that by all intents and purposes might not be there in five years or something happens and they have to cut their dividends or a myriad of other issues.

Amen.

10characterlimit

Hi MTR. I don't know, I don't invest in the banks. Like Wazza says 'If you don't understand it, don't invest in it'.

Edit: MTR, I read a book by Peter Lynch a few years ago called One Up On Wall Street. In my opinion, the best book ever written for non-professionals that want to invest in shares. In the book, he says that you shouldn't consider buying any shares in any business until you can give a five minute rundown to someone off the top of your head as to why it's a good business to invest in. That made a heck of a lot of sense to me then and still does now.

Hi MTR. I don't know, I don't invest in the banks. Like Wazza says 'If you don't understand it, don't invest in it'.

Of course.
I think have had some great feedback from SS to start my little journey down this road. Keep posting everyone, the more the merrier, something will stick eventually.

Cheers

I was told that some property listed funds are returning as much as 9%. Very attractive.

I had a work colleague who was heavily into LPT's, or REIT's they were doing great but they suffered badly when the GFC hit. I'm not sure whey sit now or what his asset allocation was but it was heavily geared towards income and dividends at the time, I believe some funds also were frozen for a period

A 90% drop needs a 900% recovery just to get back to even

You can check out the S&P/ASX 200 A-REIT chart here

I had a work colleague who was heavily into LPT's, or REIT's they were doing great but they suffered badly when the GFC hit. I'm not sure whey sit now or what his asset allocation was but it was heavily geared towards income and dividends at the time, I believe some funds also were frozen for a period

A 90% drop needs a 900% recovery just to get back to even

You can check out the S&P/ASX 200 A-REIT chart here

I can tell you from experience those with LPTs or REITs during the GFC were brutally hit. they have recovered some what but it wasn't pretty.

these funds were generally highly geared and when push came to shove they had to sell or write down assets at huge losses.

If you have property assets outside of your PPOR I'd not allocate anything to LPt's or REITs. yes the yield can be good, but a LPT is not like owning a property....

What happened to Australian LPTs also happened to hundreds of banks around the world, their leverage made them vulnerable and share prices dropped 80%+ or were wiped out.

LPTs have lower leverage now and many have consolidated back into Australian assets since the GFC. Many have recovered nicely. I would consider them lower risk than Australian banks.

Enjoying this thread.

I have found it prudent to do a considerable amount of research on individual companies. Checking balance sheets, vision statements, management structure and style (passive/aggressive) etc. Just as you do when contemplating an IP purchase.
Having a cash reserve, if possible, allows the investor the opportunity to purchase stocks when the market drops/ crashes.
I hold shares in only 4 companies, directly. Initially, adopted the strategy of dividend reinvestment along with dollar cost averaging by topping up monthly.
Different circumstances now, so take dividends to raise passive income level.

Hi MTR, we own COH (Cochlear).

I think it is undervalue. It is the market leader in its industry and it has been approved by European and FDA, so they have big market.

I would suggest, to understand the stockmarket, you have to be in it. So just buy shares in some companies. Don't wait until the newspaper report the crash. By the time you read the news, the big investor would have snapped them.

I am still learning too....
I bought QAN....am still learning...it's very cheap considering they have huge asset. They just need to replace Joyce and the shares will go up.

Back