High Yielding Shares Again

Fascinating read in this thread! Thanks to all those who have contributed.

Thought I'd share my experience in the hopes it may benefit others with a similar mindset to my own.

I've been investing in the stock market here, the US and a little dabbles elsewhere for 16yrs. I have always enjoyed it and still do, but have recently come to the realisation that in spite of this, my results speak for themselves - I allow too much emotion to control my actions to perform well in the long term. Some of the posts from China are downright scary (no offence intended) and are exactly how I have felt and acted over past years.

Despite my enjoyment of the market, and track record in picking a lot of good stocks - I have also made just as many poor decisions which have basically resulted in my portfolio treading water for many years. This realisation in addition to the fact that more important focuses in life have emerged have made me acknowledge this and do something about it.

I have embarked on a new strategy in recent months of selling down my various holdings and investing it in LIC's/'funds' with good track records. In these vehicles I will reinvest all dividends, as well as make additional monthly contributions from cash injection as well as leverage.

My strategy is based on carrying this out until 2031 at which point I will assess the position in relation to my other assets with the intention of an active retirement. Even with below average returns; I feel the time frame as well as the additional monthly contributions (which will increase with each passing year) will add up to a nice amount at the target date.

I plan on holding this small collection of funds (at the moment all ASX listed but this may change) and little to no direct companies anymore. I still hold a few residual stocks which at some future point will probably be sold down to contribute more into the funds.

After looking through the available options and ruling out the vast majority one by one due to my personal beliefs of the investment strategies of the managers, I have whittled it down to two main vehicles to date:

Platinum Capital Ltd (PMC) - average annual return since inception of 13.2%, last 10yrs 9.2%. Invested in similar lines to the Platinum International Fund. I really believe in the approach of Kerr and his team and find them extremely insightful. (for those interested, there's always a lot of great insight on their Journal)

Magellan Global Equities Fund(MFG) - newly listed, but will mirror the existing Magellan Global Fund - average annual return since inception 12.3%

I will continue to evaluate new funds as they appear (definitely a fast developing market at the moment) and I'm aware that past results in no way guarantee future performance. There will be some serious market crashes in my time frame - but riding them out, I feel selecting well themed (imo) investment thesis/managers will result in better returns than the market indices which is why I favour my chosen vehicles over index based funds such as Vanguard.

I am firmly in favour to date of the above international focused funds, I don't think Australia will perform brilliantly over next few years compared to other markets/stories worldwide (though I would love to be proven wrong on this note for my other interests outside the market). I do have smaller holdings in CTN, PIC (also new, but based on Perpetuals good track record) and WAX - but I don't plan on contributing more to these at present. I'll hold and re-invest all dividends as these particular funds for the most part are focused on smaller cap, high growth companies which over the long term should also perform well.

I feel for me this is the right strategy moving forward, and I think that's what each investor needs to work out for themselves. If you don't have the stomach/emotional capability of riding the highs and lows of individual stocks, then don't do it. Be brutally honest with yourself (which is not easy), ignore the temptations (and there are plenty) and find what will work for you.

Thanks for sharing Steve
Seems a common thread that investors are looking elsewhere, US economy recovering etc makes sense

Mtr:)

great post Steve.

I'm still DCA into my vanguard high yield shares and commercial property funds and reinvesting all dividends. Loved the dividend payout on April 1. It's not sexy but it works for me.

I have a big exposure to US healthcare stocks through my JOB so I figure I have enough US exposure for now.

Australian and US properties trucking along nicely, thank you very much.

Low risk, simple, easy, set and forget, get on with living......... "automatic wealth"

Big thanks to whoever recommended John Bogle's book. Read 'The Little Book of Common Sense Investing' last week and couldn't put it down.

Definitely an eye opener.

Looks like an old thread.

I like Chinese stocks.

Most blue chips are yielding 4.7-5.5%. ICBC, ABC, CBC, PetroChina, CNOOC, China Rail etc. They all trade on low multiples. RMB will rise over time against AUD. They're all making too much money so they've all doubled in past 12 months, if not quadripled.

Looks like an old thread.

I like Chinese stocks.

Most blue chips are yielding 4.7-5.5%. ICBC, ABC, CBC, PetroChina, CNOOC, China Rail etc. They all trade on low multiples. RMB will rise over time against AUD. They're all making too much money so they've all doubled in past 12 months, if not quadripled.

i dont trust the numbers coming out of china. many companies dont divulge their numbers as theyre classified as "state secrets"

Topped up ANZ this morning @ 34 ish should be ex divie in a week or two. Not an allout bargain but 2.70 in FF divies over the next 13months gives a little margain of safety.

Hi

I have been buying a little bit of shares starting a couple of months ago. I am still on an extremely steep learning curve so no good news from my end yet and probably won't be for many years!

I will continue to buy in very small lots of around $10,000 per month.

I have no intention of selling as I am still learning how to buy and what to buy etc and would like to have invested around $500,000 in 50 different companies between now and 2020. I don't want to rely 100% on my property investments/rentals for an income so thought I should invest in some shares to spread my risk to other asset classes.

Regards,

alicudi

Anyone doing well trading, buying, selling? Any good stories:)

I bought Nanosonics last year with a small amount of speculative money, and am happy about it :)

Longer term / broader investment - VTS (more recently VGS) been very good to me over the last year or two. Be even better if the AUD keeps falling. Surprising that it didn't fall today after the cut!

Anyone doing well trading, buying, selling? Any good stories:)

All fairly boring, topped up on Berkshire and Johnson & Johnson last week. ASX buys recently PTM, ANZ, CSL, AFI, INA. Nothing sold. Watching Diageo, Chevron, Philip Morris, Walmart.

Hi

I have been buying a little bit of shares starting a couple of months ago. I am still on an extremely steep learning curve so no good news from my end yet and probably won't be for many years!

I will continue to buy in very small lots of around $10,000 per month.

I have no intention of selling as I am still learning how to buy and what to buy etc and would like to have invested around $500,000 in 50 different companies between now and 2020. I don't want to rely 100% on my property investments/rentals for an income so thought I should invest in some shares to spread my risk to other asset classes.

Regards,

alicudi

This is great. Can I ask, how do you feel about managing 50 odd companies? Have you considered ETF and LICs as part of your accumulation?

pinkboy

$500,000 in 50 different companies between now and 2020. I don't want to rely 100% on my property investments/rentals for an income so thought I should invest in some shares to spread my risk

The question to ask is would you find 50 companies that would pay above 6% with add on franking credits,5## 100k parcels in the top asx listed would work better,or just watch the numbers on any top 50 listed companies on the ASX today and see what 50 companies how much they will fall in face value compared to 5..imho..

I don't want to rely 100% on my property investments/rentals for an income so thought I should invest in some shares to spread my risk to other asset classes.

Me too. Last property purchase was about 12 months ago and looking to offload a Sydney property or two during this boom to pay down PPOR and further diversify into shares.

Added AFI and BKI LICs to my stable of ARG MLT LICs.

Thought I'd share my experience in the hopes it may benefit others with a similar mindset to my own.

I've been investing in the stock market here, the US and a little dabbles elsewhere for 16yrs. I have always enjoyed it and still do, but have recently come to the realisation that in spite of this, my results speak for themselves - I allow too much emotion to control my actions to perform well in the long term. Some of the posts from China are downright scary (no offence intended) and are exactly how I have felt and acted over past years.

Despite my enjoyment of the market, and track record in picking a lot of good stocks - I have also made just as many poor decisions which have basically resulted in my portfolio treading water for many years. This realisation in addition to the fact that more important focuses in life have emerged have made me acknowledge this and do something about it.

A really good post Steveadl. Really valuable that you identify your weaknesses and then plan accordingly which you have done.

PMC and MGE are good platforms. I'd also look at MFF which is now trading below NTA.
CIN has performed well but has a very large holding in Amalgamated Holdings so you would need to have a position on that. I'd add CIN but at a larger discount to NTA. I'd give Perpetual LIC the **** though and take a look at AFI/ARG/MLT/BKI for that ASX large cap exposure.

I don't follow WAX/WAM. Pinkboy is keen on some active small/mid LIC's so he might pass comment too.

PS. PIC might be interesting in time but current at 1% MER is a killer. Understand it will go to 0.85% at market cap $1B, but that's a way off and still high. I do like their daily NTA announcements though, and trading at 2% discount currently.

Good luck Steve :)

Hey Erko I mean the Falcon ;) what platform do you use for international shares? Would you recommend it?

I have a full service account with Deutsche Bank, comes with killer multi currency margin rates (lower than variable home loan rates) but its a sophisticated investor only product so minimum balances are not small. Service and research access are pretty good as you would imagine.

Hi all

I will try to reply to all the people asking questions on what I am doing.

I am not directly managing any of the 50 companies that I choose to invest in, I simply do some investigation into which type of companies I want to put some money into and then look at some of the specific companies and then buy them and that is it, time to look for more. I am investing in a little bit of shares solely for the reason that I am not over exposed in the property market. Traditionally I have been concentrating 100% on the property sector which up till January this year were the only investments I had and will still retain.

I have not considered EFT's or LIC's but will in the future, one step at a time for me.

Whilst I do not know if any of the companies I invest in will achieve higher than 6% growth with add on franking credits I dare say I will be much better off than putting the money in a bank term deposit or government bond with the opportunity of investing into a range of businesses that I could not have created or establishd myself due to the high entry costs and the expertise and skills required in some of the businesses I will choose to invest in.

If people think that choosing shares to invest in is to risky, feel free to let me know what other investments I should take a look at to diversify my investment portfolio and mitigate my risk of investing in only one asset class.

PLEASE NOTE: I am an in-experienced investor when it comes to shares so don't follow any of my advice or recommendations. I have no idea and can give no guarantee that I what I am doing will work or is right because the only thing I can feel right now is no Ferrari in the garage!

Regards,

alicudi

Last edited:
Big thanks to whoever recommended John Bogle's book. Read 'The Little Book of Common Sense Investing' last week and couldn't put it down.

Definitely an eye opener.

If you liked it have a read of 'Common sense on mutual funds'. A similar concept but more in depth and updated post GFC. May be a bit of index fund overkill reading many similar books essentially saying the same thing, but i got value out of both.

Back