High Yielding Shares Again

Estimated Distribution for April Quarter = $0.6734 + franking credits (Link)

Previous year same quarter distribution was = $0.4076 + franking credits (Link)

That's a cool 65% increase. I like this passive investing. Just collect dividends.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Hi
how do you buy the Vanguard fund? Which broker do you use?
I'm interested in buying Vanguard American index or global index.

So, with most of the talk aimed toward high yield shares, i wonder...

Do any of you guys kick around with options at all? And if so what has been your experience?

I moved from using Etrade late last year to Interactive Brokers (US site) - which offers much more affordable brokerage for options particularly. The unfortunate thing though is that it does not offer margin to individuals.

If anyone is into it at all or wants to chat - hit me up or I guess reply :)

I just offloaded my high yielding banks (they were called away) - so currently don't really own any high yielding shares.

GL in the markets guys.

Common stock for me all the way. Counter-party risk has always been my concern with derivatives, it's all ok until it isn't. I'd rather employ non callable debt and conservative margin than products. Though I understand why some might want to use say installment warrants on the ASX for example. I guess it really depends on how you participate in the market as to if options work for you.

Qantas shares look interesting. Maybe better to chase growth rather than yield. Qantas closed at 3.27.....about 18 months it was about a third that. At that speed Joyce would have a hard time getting his pants up.

Sign up with any of the big online brokers, say commsec for example and buy. Simple as that really.

+1. If you like buying ETF (which are like index funds but traded on the stock market just like your BHP/CBA shares)

You can also directly contact Vanguard and invest in their index funds if you are not comfortable signing up with a broker. Their website address - Vanguard

Good luck!

Cheers,
Oracle.

Qantas shares look interesting. Maybe better to chase growth rather than yield. Qantas closed at 3.27.....about 18 months it was about a third that. At that speed Joyce would have a hard time getting his pants up.

They're still a poorly ran lossmaking company though?

QAN was a good trade opportunity. Doesn't matter how good Joyce or anyone else is, the economics of that industry suck, private enterprise competing against SOE in a capital intensive commoditised business means limited growth prospects at best...I'll pass on that.

Last edited:
Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

Im sure if that was the case you would have updated your thread.

Put me down for 100 you're holding onto a loser.

pinkboy

Thanks for the reminder, I should update that thread and tell others to sell. Give me a minute and I'll find it unless you can post the link to save me time because internet is very slow here in the Amazon jungle. Not holding this one anymore, I take profits unless I get stopped out at 5%.

Yep if you are going to spruik a stock on a tip, at least have the courtesy to inform your fellow wood ducks your exit tip...these blokes don't have a direct line with Keith! :)

Wasn't the majority of the profit from lower fuel prices?

*snip*
Do any of you guys kick around with options at all? And if so what has been your experience?
*snip*

I have occasionally BOUGHT calls when a blue chip was going through an dip; eg, a NAB or a WES had some bad news and was obviously oversold. Way cheaper than buying the underlying and the returns are magnified significantly.

Have also pursued a covered call strategy at one stage; awesome in a flat market, average in a dropping market, and pretty frustrating in a rising market. The biggest drama (for me) was purchasing the "insurance put" which cost (approx) a month and a half or 2 of premiums; if you don't get those first 2 months, it hurts! And the number of times the share price moved above the strike on expiry day... unbelievable!

Haven't been in options for a few years; I don't think the change to 100 shares/contract has really made big a difference. Unless one is holding 1000+ shares (10+ contracts) the brokerage is a very high percentage.

Wasn't the majority of the profit from lower fuel prices?

I believe so, and also the carbon tax refund.

Apart from lower fuel price I'm hearing the lower AUD is also helping QAN. Don't ask me how but the sp is taking off and the talk is four bucks is just around the corner.

DYOR as I'm only going from things I hear, voices in my head are telling me things:eek:

Back