Highgate WA: let's build a baby apartment block thread

Also...
Beware that the City of Vincent is now changing their muti-dwelling policy (again) back to what it used to be in relation to the rear set-back and its integration with the rear neighbor. You will need to increase setback on first level (and second level) if you adjoin a lot with a lower density than your lot.

FRUSTRATING!! :confused:

Boods

I tried to submit to council today for DA

tumblr_llaa8gKLgG1qibep1o1_400.jpg

Even though I had spoken with a Planning person about submitting prior to Settlement the overly officious customer service person wouldn't have a bar of it and no one in Planning was around to override her.

Not to worry Monday is another day and I'll submit again.

May the force be with you, Westminster.

Boods

first DAC of the year was 6 Mar, we were all told?

re the MD policy, the current one doesnt say anything about this, but its only if you adjoin a lot of lower density which is actually how the r codes reads and wanneroo have been informally enforcing this for a long time.

not sure why, though. i understand wanneroo....but highgate/west perth/leederville/north perth?

first DAC of the year was 6 Mar, we were all told?

re the MD policy, the current one doesnt say anything about this, but its only if you adjoin a lot of lower density which is actually how the r codes reads and wanneroo have been informally enforcing this for a long time.

not sure why, though. i understand wanneroo....but highgate/west perth/leederville/north perth?

Yeah, apparently they updated their policy a few months ago, removing the need to reduce bulk at the rear, and due to a bit of push back from various parties, they are now working to reinstate to original policy.
I have a handful of projects at council at the moment, with some that need to comply with the old and some with the new! :confused:
It's craziness I reckon...

Boods

it wont fly, alannah mctiernan understands that urban infill sites need to remove the distinction between side and rear setbacks and have it removed, as suggested and upheld in the r codes and expl guidelines.

where did you hear this? i might ask Carlie whats going on.

it wont fly, alannah mctiernan understands that urban infill sites need to remove the distinction between side and rear setbacks and have it removed, as suggested and upheld in the r codes and expl guidelines.

where did you hear this? i might ask Carlie whats going on.

I met with Carlie on Friday and she told me

Boods

ah christ.....why would they do that? it goes against every intention of the r codes.

they must be amending their resi design elements to suit - that document needs a serious upgrade.

still, its not the end of the world - they are granting concessions for extra storeys, so i dont think yield will be an issue.

i might see if dudley maier can give me some insight.

Hmph :(

Computer now says ......... "SUSPENDED"

CofV have put my DA application on hold pending DAC review which isn't until 20th March.

Bugggggggeeeerrrrr. So nothing will happen on it for the next 6 weeks.

Golden time wasted.

Titles have been issued so Settlement is booked for 11th March.

All systems rolling for getting construction loan combined with the land loan which is settling then.

Although having DA approval suspended/on hold is annoying we are still nicely ahead of the game as we have gotten a lot done before Settlement.

what do you think your construction costs are going to be like?

Construction pricing is due tomorrow. I'm hoping my DD wasn't too far out.
I didn't factor in 3 storeys with original estimate but this design has functional form and less complicated engineering.

I shall see. Stiff drink might be required.

Always a stressful time. I just got one back today, $40k+ per townhouse less than I had budgeted, (based on the estimate from another builder).

Its a great day when you save $250k+!!!

Always a stressful time. I just got one back today, $40k+ per townhouse less than I had budgeted, (based on the estimate from another builder).

Its a great day when you save $250k+!!!

Ah Matt - want to share that savings with me?

I'm $125k over my estimate :eek::eek:

I'm strangely calm as it's not the final price and there are quite a few provisional sums in there which will go down.

Hopefully I can scrape back half the budget overrun - then it will be a reasonable 10% over my estimation which is not bad for a back of the envelope estimation done by me :cool:

Ah Matt - want to share that savings with me?

I'm $125k over my estimate :eek::eek:

I'm strangely calm as it's not the final price and there are quite a few provisional sums in there which will go down.

Hopefully I can scrape back half the budget overrun - then it will be a reasonable 10% over my estimation which is not bad for a back of the envelope estimation done by me :cool:

Wish I could. I was there a few weeks ago when the builder I previously used came in $150k over their original estimate.

Have you received quotes from many builders? Perhaps someone else can recommend a WA builder for you? Sorry I don't have any contacts there.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but saved another $50k today! Another great day at the office! QLD laws were just changed so I no longer need rain water tanks or solar hot water! http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/02/14/08/01/qld-dumps-green-home-laws

Back