Hippies & Health Nuts Please :)

how very interesting TC. handy information to know.

Yeah, I flog off some grain to some pidgeon breeders and racers. I get some beer money and charge them 50% extra. So thats 30c per kilo insted of 20c. They think it's incredibly cheap, as by the time someone bags a tonne of grain into 10 kilo plastic bags and puts it in a shop in the city and make 1000% profit it's a complete rip off.

I don't know what they do with my grain. Hard to believe some pidgeons would eat a few tonnes. Maybe they rip off their pidgeon racing mates too, but I don't care. They can do what they want with it.

Only amounts to a few tonne a year. They come and pick it up in bulk when they do a regular hunting trip up in the range.

See ya's.

how very interesting TC. handy information to know.

He he, just looking at that place above,....

http://www.edenseeds.com.au/content/default.asp

I suppose it's organic, but I notice the barley, wheat and sorghum is all $5 a kilo. It's worth 20c to a farmer [non organic of course]. The sunflower and mungbeans are $9 a kilo and are worth about 50c to a farmer. The chickpeas are $10 and worth 50c to a farmer.

I'd like to see someone grow organic mungbeans. Crikey!!, I grew em 20 years ago and were attact by everything known. They only grow a foot high, so no competition to weeds. The heliothus ended up getting most. Probably worth $9 if they really are organic but hard to believe.

See ya's.

OMFGROFLMFAO, now I'm looking at the green manure section.
$24 per kilo for lucerne. Go out to a lucerne hay farmer and he'd nearly pay you to take away his worthless weather damaged lucerne bales. They'd be perfect mulch for gardens, and would be full of nitrogen and organic matter.

See ya's.

Olly

Try Mei Yu, 14 Lagana Place, Wetherill Park 02 9756 5669
or Po Kwong, 6/4 Lennox Place, Wetherill Park 02 9756 4917

I used to wholesale to these guys a few years back. So check they are still in business. But you will get everything you want and more from these guys.

Kinga

Olly

Try Mei Yu, 14 Lagana Place, Wetherill Park 02 9756 5669
or Po Kwong, 6/4 Lennox Place, Wetherill Park 02 9756 4917

I used to wholesale to these guys a few years back. So check they are still in business. But you will get everything you want and more from these guys.

Kinga

Will check them out tomorrow. I'm only 5 mins from there so it'll be great if they are still there and have what I want!

Got my Eden Seeds catalogue today too. So no excuses for me now!

Thanks
Olly

ooh we do yoghurt and beer at present. yoghurt is great - much better than the shop sh*te - even brands like Mundella etc.

just bought some sprout seeds from a local place here in WA - planning on getting something done over the weekend with the kids.

I think Jamie Oliver has (had?) a link on his site Jamie at Home for sprout seeds.

How hard is yoghurt to do ? Mundella's pretty allright, so very interesting.....

anyone notice that you walk into a supermarket for simple items like, milk, yoghurt, butter and bread and walk out with unidentified ingredients that belong in a chemist or laboratory?

It's appauling!

There is only about 2 brands of milk where the ingredients say "milk" the rest are an array of chemical vitamins and BS that no one asked for.

there is one brand of cream that says "cream" the rest are cream plus gelatine plus other unwanted crap.

there is one brand of butter that says cream, salt.

We make our own butter, I am disgusted with what is out there and the fact that you cannot buy simple basic items without all the unwanted extras.

Yoghurt's are disgusting, skim milk mixed with gelatine and sugar is a dairy type of jelly it is not yoghurt. 99% fat free is not yoghurt. Real milk is 4% fat, real yoghurt should be 4% fat.

we should write a list of recipies for cheese and other stuff mentioned here. Going back to basics without the added chemical crap has to be a better health choice surely.

The scary thing about it Xenia, is that people are starting to not know any better

People belive that's what yoghurt is

I had my eyes opened in Europe in 03 whenI couldn;t get enough of it.. and my cousin told me the quality had gone to the dogs !

We've basically forgotten what "in season" means.... arent apples frozen ?

Talking to a friend in Mildura yesterday, she told me one of her customers is a dairy farmer. They just informed my friend that they are now down to a lousy 9 cents p/litre of milk! :eek: Is this really possble??

anyone notice that you walk into a supermarket for simple items like, milk, yoghurt, butter and bread and walk out with unidentified ingredients that belong in a chemist or laboratory?

It's appauling!

There is only about 2 brands of milk where the ingredients say "milk" the rest are an array of chemical vitamins and BS that no one asked for.

there is one brand of cream that says "cream" the rest are cream plus gelatine plus other unwanted crap.

there is one brand of butter that says cream, salt.

Thing is though, it's all just a market. Anyone in the market just wants to make a profit. So they are providing what the market wants.

You say that no one asked for it, yet everyone buys it, except for yourself. If no one wanted the food your talking about, but did want the pure form, and everyone voted with their wallets, there would soon be a change in what is put on the shelf.

I'll bet the pure forms have been tried. It's probably gone off on the shelf, or had a funny colour or smell and no one bought it. The market rules, and is always right.

To be honest, when I walk through a supermarket, I'm just amazed at the quality and variety of food. I'm amazed how it's all done and how it's even possible. Our lifespans seem to be increasing at an exponential rate. Surely what we are eating is not that bad for us?

See ya's.

I think many of us simply buy the best that we can find at our supermarkets. I look at the labels and try to avoid "crap". But my kids want "crap" even though my buying habits have not really changed since they were little. I just don't buy much in the way of processed bikkies. If it is not in the pantry, they are forced to eat a piece of fruit :eek:.

Our local Coles has a "natural/organic" section which is growing larger but is still a tiny fraction of the whole store. I have been buying free range eggs for years, but only just read that this section of the egg market is creeping up and is now (I think) 20% of the market. (I know that is not a chemical issue, but a "let's be nice to the chooks" issue, but similar in that slowly people are voting with their feet.)

Before too much longer, I believe cage eggs will go the way of the dinosaurs, and all because people are waking up and changing their shopping habits, slowly.

No way will I eat margarine, but I have no problem with butter from the supermarket. My kids don't eat butter on anything. I avoid "yoghurt" and chose Greek Yoghurt. I think plenty of people are starting to take more notice of what goes in their stomachs. Obviously plenty more don't care, or couldn't be bothered making better choices. Our obesity rate proves this.

We still eat enough "crap" but we try to limit it. Unfortunately, for most people, particularly children, it is only when you mature that you start to think that the old saying "rubbish in, rubbish out" might actually apply to you. My kids still don't think so.

No way will I eat margarine, but I have no problem with butter from the supermarket. .

Well, I love butter, the taste of it. But I changed to margarine for the health benefits. Vegetable oil is not some mysterious concoction brewed in a science lab. It comes straight out of canola or sunflower seed. I suppose there's other 'crap' in there too, but I wouldn't know? As in my post to Xenia, I suppose additives are put in to make it spread better, make it more yellow, more this, more that, but it's the market that decides what goes into the food.

It comes down to the consumer in the end.

Sunflowers and canola are being bred to have health benefits. Like the sunflowers I grew 18 months ago were monos. They had High oleic sunflower oils, which reduce collesterol.

See ya's.

We make our own yoghurt (use one of those kit things, but use J@lna Biodynamic as the starting agent). Love it - took a few times to get it right but now easy as.

Grew my own veggies last few seasons (not this year due to moving) - had a regular swap going on with neighbors of one of my IP's (about 3k away) - they grew enough to be regular market stall holders on a smaller than normal suburban block.

Well, I love butter, the taste of it.

Actually, we eat butter but blended with the oil. It still tastes like butter to me, but I don't like the taste of margarine, so it is taste driven.

In Brisbane we cannot leave butter out of the fridge so we use the blend so we can spread it. We don't use a lot though so it is not like we have half an inch on bread, like many of the older generation used to have. At least, our 90 year old ex-neighbour used to spread it so thickly that I could not eat it.

She used to say "we were so poor we had to eat dripping on bread" and then one day, she let slip that she LOVED dripping on bread :).

Yes I agree that companies are only providing what the market is demanding and JC is correct in saying that people demand those products because they do not know any better.

Perhaps education is needed so that people can make better health choices for themselves??? don't know?

Y-man,

Who is the Natto for? Have you found away too make it smell better?

Normally don't use margarine or butter with jams and spreads unless it is with vegemite. Try to do oil less cooking and definitely no deep frying. the neighbors are always coming over with different strange vegetables from their gardens or surrounding mountains and I have no idea what they are.

Who is the Natto for? Have you found away too make it smell better?

If you grow up with it, you like the smell - I suppose it is a little bit like how some people might find the smell of certain cheese or fermented fish sauce overpowering.

Also, the ones we made at home weren't fermented to the same degree, so they didn't quite have the strength of smell that the shop bought one's have.

I think people have trouble with it because they try to eat it straight. It wasn't designed to be.... :)

Mix a small amount of natto into beaten raw egg.
Add Japanese soy sauce and mustard (NOT wasabi!!) to taste
add some crushed nori
Pour on a HOT bowl of steamed rice - to me, that is the nostalgic smell and taste and texture of breakfast :eek::)

(actually the egg is a bit of a cop out - it's because natto is a bit expensive, so we use it as a "filler")

Cheers,

The Y-man

ps. Just realised you are in Japan! So what I wrote is probably stuff you already know :)

Y-man

The better half and daughter eats it 2-3 times a day. For me its just like some other foods I can do without especially smelly parmasan cheese.

Yes I agree that companies are only providing what the market is demanding and JC is correct in saying that people demand those products because they do not know any better.

Perhaps education is needed so that people can make better health choices for themselves??? don't know?
This is the assumption that I find quite patronising! Maybe, like TC, I've done my research and am comfortable that the ingredients are safe and healthy.

It's the assumption that "natural = better/healthier" that I find... let's say "intellectually lazy".

Back