Hmmm..R M Williams

Recently I bought a pair of R M Williams trousers from a Salvation Army Store for $30. The pair was showcased at the front of the store and not on the racks where the cheap $8 trousers are located ( I hardly ever buy those cheapies)

Anyway, I was quite impressed by the quality of R M Williams clothing. Strong, durable and nice looking. The only problem - too baggy. I want the skinny leg.

So I checked their website out and was amazed at the range of not only clothing but acccesories, seat covers, boots, stickers, wallets etc.

I know they are expensive, but I figured if I spend say 2K on apparel etc, that it would last maybe 10 years or only $200 per annum for smart durable clothing.

I've got a fascination all of a sudden for R M Williams.

Anyone out there use R M Williams?

Cheers!

PS I dont work there or have any association with them. I did get a glimps of them on an ABC program a while back. Maybe they sent subliminal messages to buy their products lol.

Our work uniform is now RM Williams (I work in the ag sector), and you really can't beat it for quality, although a lot of there cheaper stockyard range is made overseas. I still wear jeans that's I've purchased 10 years ago, and I find a lot of the gear never goes out of style ..
Check out the factory outlet stores to save some cash, or find someone who's entitled to the discounted rates.

I still wear jeans that's I've purchased 10 years ago, and I find a lot of the gear never goes out of style ..
Check out the factory outlet stores to save some cash, or find someone who's entitled to the discounted rates.

Thanks PJ, I'll do just that.

I had the feeling that their clothes last a long time. Not like some other brands that just fall apart after a while.

First of all I need to state that I am a very happily married woman... but I LOVE the look of a man dressed in that RM Williams gear. Very nice. Don't know what it is but I know it's a look on men that I like. Maybe it's the fact that the clothing they sell looks very masculine, and in a world of men 'feminising' their looks (shaved chests for eg :( ), it's definitely a look on men that I like. Mmmm... :D

I've often wondered why they don't sell overseas (or maybe they do but I've never seen their gear). It's great quality and has a signature style that I think would appeal to a lot of 'Pitt Street Farmer' equivalents.

I've often wondered why they don't sell overseas (or maybe they do but I've never seen their gear). It's great quality and has a signature style that I think would appeal to a lot of 'Pitt Street Farmer' equivalents.

Funny you mention that, since when I first joined SS I was known as Pitt St (where I worked, btw), and now I live in rural / regional NZ (and I work on a farm too atm).

And, fwiw, RM Williams is very popular with the rural set in NZ.

The boys (and a couple of girls) who work "in the field" so to speak tend to wear John Bull boots.

But the RMW tan leather boots are the preferred farmers dress boot and just about required uniform for the professionals who liase with farmers (eg. bankers, stock reps, chem & fert reps).

For work I wear a "lesser" boot to the RMW which I bought 9+ years ago for $NZD 200 (these days $NZD 300). The RMW boots retail for around $NZD 400 but it doesn't dent their popularity.

Last edited:
I have a couple of pairs of moleskins which have been in my robe for over 15 years and only showing some wear around the pockets. Best heavy duty trousers available.

Pair of 'cheap' RM boots as well have about 3 years on them. Next RM boots will be the signature craftsman boot ($625/pair), then get them resoled prior to wearing them for extra longevity.

When I was a kid, my good RMs used to only go on my feet once I was on my horse at a show. Their polished soles never touched the ground.

Yep - have a few RMW shirts and accessories.

Great quality and fit.

I'm a bigger guy, so its convenient to have the larger sizes.

I have failed miserably at buying my hubby gifts over the years...if I buy technology I have removed all the good out of 'boy shopping'

Buy clothes, he says stuff like 'I already have a sweater' why do I need more jeans, I have a pair

A skydive.. He's over it

BUT RM Williams boots!!! ... We have been together for 20 years and these boots (oh and a Mont Blanc pen) are the only things I have gotten right, EVER

He wears them every single day, to the office, around the dirt tracks all over PNG looking at mobile towers, on his motorbike. He cannot destroy them!!! A REALLY good polish when he is back here is the only care they get and they still look good!

The pros, he would have gone through 6 pairs of leather office shoes in the timeframe (almost 3 yrs)

The cons, it's gonna be bloody ages before I can use that idea again ;)

For those who like RM Williams, check out Ebay at the moment. My daughter has a heap of brand new, with tags, men's RM Williams jackets selling cheaply.

Shameless plug, I know, but hey, I'm not giving her username away, so you even if you do buy something, it may not be from her.

For those unfamiliar with Ebay, you can set your search for 'buy it now' instead of auction, select new, and I always select, at the top, the cheapest price including postage, for any item I'm looking for. I love auctions in real life, but hate them on Ebay.

I read a while ago that R.M.W is set to target the high end fashion scene in Europe ect. I love RM stuff, favorite is a Long Horn signature Akubra hat. But Im only allowed to wear it x number of kilometers out of the city says my partner ....It must have magic powers cos I put that hat on and I just feel like getting stuff done!

Back