Hogs bristle trim

Hi need help

Thinking about painting my ceiling 1/4 Lexicon, walls to be painted 1/2 hogs bristle, and trim hogs bristle on doors and trim.

What do you folks think any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds ... awful :p

Hogs bristle walls and antique white or pure white trim looks really good though.

We have loosely hogs bristle quarter (or an almost equivalent colour from the builder's range) in our current house and white trim, I wouldn't go trim darker than the walls unless you're going for really high impact with black or another very deep, strong colour. Going only slightly darker than the walls won't give you much contrast at all.

please dont shoot me down :) - but HOG BRISTLE is everywhere!! All the display homes, any house painted in the last 3-4 years I have looked at- its there!

HOG on walls and white (or a variation of it) for trims and ceilings is the best way to go if you like that color.

I just had my place painted Hog Bristle - 1/2 walls, and full skirtings and doors. It looks fine to me.

But white may look nicer.

I use Ecru for the walls and Self Destruct for the doors and trim, with white on white for ceilings

I have used it on each property. I believe it looks great plus I can just grab a tin when the place is empty and know I can touch it up in a short time

I took ages to decide on colour scheme in the first place and I now stick to it...makes life so much easier when organising updates from a distance

Chris

We've almost finished painting our reno IP - hogs 1/4 on all walls, white trim, white ceilings. looks good. I'm hopeless with colours hence just going basic conservative. But I figure if hogs bristle 1/4 is everywhere then people must like it (paint place lady was telling me it was "Australia's favourite colour" last year) and should be good for a rental.

We went whole Hog for walls, 1/2 Hog for skirtings and 1/4 Hog for ceilings (looks almost white but not as stark).....rooms feel warm & with definition.......and the dust doesn't show as much on the skirtings or window sills!

Hog bristle on white.

In a very boringly empty house ...

Attachments

• 20110823122516 (1).jpg
    20110823122516 (1).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 26,571
We went whole Hog for walls, 1/2 Hog for skirtings and 1/4 Hog for ceilings (looks almost white but not as stark).....rooms feel warm & with definition.......and the dust doesn't show as much on the skirtings or window sills!
If you like HB then this is a good combo to use

Hi need help

Thinking about painting my ceiling 1/4 Lexicon, walls to be painted 1/2 hogs bristle, and trim hogs bristle on doors and trim.

My main concern (apart from not being a HB fan) is that HB has a definite yellow undertone. It is a warm colour, whereas Lexicon is definitely cool (blue based).

My main concern (apart from not being a HB fan) is that HB has a definite yellow undertone. It is a warm colour, whereas Lexicon is definitely cool (blue based).

I'm going to have white tiles from the kitchen, running into the dinning room to the living room. In the bedrooms its going to have carpet. Any suggestions to what paint colours I should be looking at for Ceiling, walls and trims.

Hi need help

We used hog's bristle half strength on the window and door frames (exterior) of our previous PPoR reno. It was a light contrast to the much darker render walls. This made the hog's look even lighter again, which I wanted.

We actually half-strengthed it to get some of the yellow out of it (I have an aversion to anything that is remotely "nanna-beige"; i.e yellow in hue). We were going to use half hog's on the walls, but it was too yellow for my taste.

In our new PPoR build (and in the previous PPoR reno), we have used "China White" half-strength for the whole interior. Nice and fresh, still warm; but no beige.

In the PPoR reno, we used straight white on all the interior frames and skirts in hi-gloss enamel, and it looked great with the China White Half, but in the new PPoR build we opted for the same colour on every interior surface - ceilings, walls and all window and door frames, skirts.

All the window, door and skirts are in high gloss acrylic, the walls in satin acrylic and the ceilings in flat acrylic. There is just enough of a contrast from the different finishes to give a noticeable contrast even with the same colour.

HOG BRISTLE users - how does it stand to getting dirty etc?

Tossing up between ANTIQUE WHite USA and HOG Bristle light shade for a rental - last week has been all about cleaning!! Want the least amount of work for the next 2-3 years!

Personally I don't like trims, doors, etc to be darker than the walls - it acts like a big outline and makes rooms look smaller. I like vivid white trims, doors(gloss - for easy cleaning) and ceilings to be all the same colour with a darker wall colour. Any more than two colours in an interior room looks too 'busy'.

If you like the warm neutrals, why not try Dulux Self Destruct? It's a darker shade of Hog Bristle and has been around for a while now but, teamed with a crisp white trim it has a real WOW factor.

On the other hand, white EVERYTHING is in again now (especially with dark floors so it's not too wishy/washy) - can't really go wrong as long as you stick to either all cool whites or all warm whites - ask at the paint shop and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Oh..... the differing opinions on paint. Which is correct? Come in decorators .....Jayne!

I used 1/2 strength HB in the bathroom of a IP. Hated it. Fortunately I had bought 4lt of white and decanted half to have tinted to the HB. I used the other half to lighten to 1/4 strength - acceptable but not over wrapped. This room faced south - and light is very relevant to colour choice.

I suspect that I may like HB in a different area of the house which has more light but I generally don't like colours with red in them!! Prefer a slightly sour and cooler colour if that makes sense. I tried many of the off whites when painting the rest of the interior a couple of years later, ended up going with a colour recommended by a Wattle paint shop - Wattyl Pearly gates.

I have Whisper White in my PPOR - my own mix which turned out to be the same formula for Whisper White when they brought out their new range 10 years ago. Not a bad colour but may go for a slightly deeper colour next time.

I'm going to have white tiles from the kitchen, running into the dinning room to the living room. In the bedrooms its going to have carpet. Any suggestions to what paint colours I should be looking at for Ceiling, walls and trims.

You're having white floor tiles?? It does depend on the undertone of your tiles but I certainly wouldn't be going for white on the walls. You need some contrast to warm it up a bit. Go and check out Dulux colours like Ecru, Beige Royal & Linseed. I really like the last 2 in full strength (esp Beige Royal) if you have lots of light. If not, you can go half strength. With trim I like to go the same colour as the walls but gloss enamel. Otherwise half strength of the wall colour & even lighter again for ceilings.
I agree with beachside that colours look totally different depending on the light in the room. If you're really stuck I'd consider paying the $150 or whatever for a colour consultant.

Dulux Limed White goes nicely with Lexicon 1/4. We have used Limed White (1/4 strength inside and full strength on the exterior) on our PPOR with Lexicon 1/4 gloss trim and flat ceilings. It's not yellow like hog bristle- has more of a grey undertone but is very neutral and easy to look at.

I have Whisper White in my PPOR - my own mix which turned out to be the same formula for Whisper White when they brought out their new range 10 years ago. Not a bad colour but may go for a slightly deeper colour next time.

That's pretty cool you made Whisper White; I have it in my place too. China White is a similar shade (cool, greyish) but darker. This might be one to check out.

Back