hole in floor: what to do

I have a cheap ip whose floorboards in the kitchen arent great. The tenant has fallen through

Im looking for an affordable fix

Tradie has recommended something from underneath and says it might to be too hard

We are thinking of putting yellow tongue over the top however that would mean having to todo the entire room which is quite large plus since everything would rise the doors would have to be shaved down as well

Is there any other ways or options for a fix??

Is therr such a thing as a sturdy piece of metal thats thin over the hole?
Thanks everyone

:eek:

How did the tenant fall through??

Can you change the floorboards just for the affected spot? Done this with a rotten floor in bedroom before, cost about $350 for 2 x 1m.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone

I just realised we both forgot to consider replacing the actual fbs them selves. Feel a bit dumb. Im going to
As for the tenant falling through...and i quote "shes as big as firetruck"

Depreciator posted his remedy the other day - sheet the floor with Masonite. At least it's only 6mm thick.

so your answer is to sheet Masonite over the hole , if 20mm thick floor boards broke under the weight of a person how do you think 6mm Masonite will go .

Why did the floor boards rot? Replacing the offending floor boards is great, but if there's something else going on that needs to be addressed too.

so your answer is to sheet Masonite over the hole , if 20mm thick floor boards broke under the weight of a person how do you think 6mm Masonite will go .

Just a quick fix not a permanent solution Arms. If you're after strength, sheet the floor with 1.2 mm galv iron. Then som vinyl flooring.

FWIW send a few tradies around to look into it ;)

Last edited:
The Masonite fix was an idea for a long lasting floor solution in a kitchen. It's was an old wood floor with big gaps and not suited to a kitchen. But I wanted something that suited the space.

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108326

I'm still impressed that it's looking good after three years of constant use. TMNT will need to strengthen that floor in places, but Masonite might be good over the whole thing as a cheap and hard wearing option.

Back