Holiday Rental

I haven't been here for a while, and as many might know, we have been gearing up to use our PPoR as a short-term holiday rental over summer/Easter etc - which we have recently completed..

The last 12 months has been a monumental project to get the gardens done, purchase all the correct furniture for each bedroom, linen, crockery and so forth.

Many, many hours in the mud and dust for me, as well as other inside projects needing to be completed - locks on cupboards not being used by tenants and so on. Up at dawn, outside until dark and all weekend most weeks, but finally got it finished the day before the first tenants arrived.

My wife has been absolutely fantastic - on the Ipad every spare minute to search for items online/Ebay/Gumtree etc, lots of traveling to pick up items, etc.

We ended up with two groups for a week each over New Year and first week of Jan, which allowed us to go away for a fully paid and well-deserved 3 week holiday to Victor Harbor, and made a profit over the enterprise as well, which has covered all the set-up costs we incurred (quite a bit of money borrowed from the In-laws and the SIL to get us over the line, so we can pay them back now).

Giving it another crack over Easter for 2 weeks, and then for 4 weeks over next summer.

Here's a couple of pics of the back yard - retaining walls, handrails with sail wire, lots of soil fill and grass.

The handrails were made from cut-up tyre racks at the workshop, so cost nothing other than some grinder wheels and time. The paint was left over from the house build so it cost nothing as well. Sail wire and attachments etc was approx $450 and a few drill bits to drill the holes in the steel.

The soil was given to us by our neighbors who are having a pool dug at the moment (stroke of luck there!) and moved into place by one of our customers, as well as paying for some of the sleepers for the retaining wall - who owed us money for some work done.

We were quoted approx $10k for the retaining wall by the guys when the house was being built - we did the whole thing, including grass, water system etc for about $4500. Still hurt our very stretched pockets though.

Attachments

• Back yard 6.jpg
    Back yard 6.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Back yard 5.jpg
    Back yard 5.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Back yard 4.jpg
    Back yard 4.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 146
more pics

More pics of yard

Attachments

• Back yard 1.jpg
    Back yard 1.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Back yard 2.jpg
    Back yard 2.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Back yard 3.jpg
    Back yard 3.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 146
Welcome back. I was wondering about the rental. Good that it went well.

Good that your facebook business page is getting some updates. A business page needs to keep reminding people that the business is still there.

Yes, good to see you back, BV.
I was also wondering how the holiday rental experiment went. Glad it all worked out - much easier next time without all the set-up costs.

Scott

Welcome back Bayview,

How are you advertising the property for holiday rental? If things got really tight would you consider having the property permanently on the holiday market and renting locally for much less?

We just got back yesterday from a week in Sorrento which we booked via Stayz. 30 seconds after our enquiry we got offered a great deal if the week was paid in advance, it was a scam email so they have clearly hacked the system.

Was a ripper apartment so it was worth the hassle.

You have done a great job on the place.

Great to have you back ... a few of us were wondering how things were going.

The house looks great, and fantastic to hear it was rented over the hols - good luck with Easter and next summer. Is there much demand for "out of season" or is it very summer seasonal?

I know it isn't a permanent holiday home, but (to answer a previous question) I imagine it's similar to holiday homes on the coast where my fil lives (north side of Port Stephens) - they rent for usually only Christmas/Easter and then nothing for the rest of the year ... no good for covering rent if you're relying on it as "not main residence" mortgage payments.

We can also sympathise with you regarding trying to get a property ready ... our tourist cabins finally - after 6 months since exchange - settled 2 days before Christmas ... with the next occupancy being the 28th! :eek:

Some very very long and sweaty days in between ... so we kinda missed Christmas this year.

How's the tyre business going?

I know it isn't a permanent holiday home, but (to answer a previous question) I imagine it's similar to holiday homes on the coast where my fil lives (north side of Port Stephens) - they rent for usually only Christmas/Easter and then nothing for the rest of the year ... no good for covering rent if you're relying on it as "not main residence" mortgage payments.

I've often wondered about this and whether you could cover some costs by leasing it as a furnished longer term rental for the 6 months between Easter and the start of the summer period, even if you rented it for a slightly lower amount than the surrounding permanent rental market to ensure you had a tenant for that 6 month, anyone done this?

Also well done BV, glad to hear it all worked out.

Welcome back Bayview,

How are you advertising the property for holiday rental?
Thanks for that.

We are advertising it through "Holiday Shacks" rental agency (search "Bay Belle" and you will see our house). We are quite pleased with how they've handled it and run a very professional operation.

If things got really tight would you consider having the property permanently on the holiday market and renting locally for much less?
Have considered that, but from what I can gather the holiday rentals/short term rentals is limited to mainly Xmas, Easter and possibly Aus Day and Melb Cup weekends. We had an enquiry for this weekend, but knocked it back - the logistics of packing up again (with 3 kids) and finding somewhere else to live at short notice was virtually impossible to do for us.

Probably wouldn't cover the rent on a cheaper joint or create a surplus in the wash-up to move out permanently and holiday let it.

You have done a great job on the place
Thankyou.

Great to have you back ... a few of us were wondering how things were going.

The house looks great, and fantastic to hear it was rented over the hols - good luck with Easter and next summer. Is there much demand for "out of season" or is it very summer seasonal?
It is mostly the main holiday season for rentals. There is still the possibility of random rentals throughout the year, but to move out is a bit of a project for us.

We can also sympathise with you regarding trying to get a property ready ... our tourist cabins finally - after 6 months since exchange - settled 2 days before Christmas ... with the next occupancy being the 28th! :eek:

Some very very long and sweaty days in between ... so we kinda missed Christmas this year.
Glad to here you've got it done now.

How's the tyre business going?
Umm...nope.

Place looks good BayView, congrats on getting it done.

How's the shop going?

Have you tried any other ways Rent it out like airbnb or stayZ?

Your place looks amazing, I really like your idea of letting out over holidays to produce income/pay for holidays. It's an interesting idea I'd like to explore a bit more myself I think. Hope you had a fantastic time in beautiful Victor Harbour.

Not so suitable for Stayz- but if there is a spare room, AirBnb could be a go. You have it visitor proofed to some extent. AirBnB is great for letting out a spare room.

I have been in an AirBnB in Australia where we didn't get to see the owner. There were locked bedrooms, other than that we had the use of the house.

Not so suitable for Stayz- but if there is a spare room, AirBnb could be a go. You have it visitor proofed to some extent. AirBnB is great for letting out a spare room.

I have been in an AirBnB in Australia where we didn't get to see the owner. There were locked bedrooms, other than that we had the use of the house.

I haven't used stayz for years, why would it be unsuitable?

There's nothing wrong with Stayz whatsoever. But they play more in the standard accommodation and corporate spaces.

BV has his holiday bookings well handled. But Airbnb would be a good option if BV had a room to spare, and if he wanted to go in that direction. Airbnb deals a lot with sharing a room in a house.

Place looks good BayView, congrats on getting it done.

How's the shop going?

We also looked at Stayz, but the clincher was the recommendation from one of my wife's colleagues who has been renting their place for a few years now through HS.

Their house is a similar style and accommodation set up to ours as well, but in Mt.Martha.

The shop is no better.

We booked our holiday house rental through Stayz while ours was being rented.

We have just this week booked a place to go to for next summer's rental season through Gumtree, so there is that one as well.

Last edited:
Back