Holland / Venetian Blinds

Does anyone know where to get affordable custom made Holland / Venetian blinds in Melbourne ? I need to install the blinds for my IP about 17 in total.

i know in newcastle i get a lot of mine at curtain wonderland ... their cutdown (to size) price is fairly reasonable ... bunnings is cheaper to buy off the shelf, but their cutdown price is really high.

you might have a curtain wonderland in melbourne

I just checked the curtain wonderland website but there isn't any branch in VIC :(. Bunnings is dearer with their custom-made blinds. I guess I just keep googling.

Thanks for your reply Lizzie.

There are plenty of spotlight stores around melbourne!

They're good stuff, and when the blinds are on special, they can be around ~30% iirc. You can ask the girls working there when the next special is on, i've found they've usually got a rough idea.

I just put 10 wooden blinds in my reno in Melb. I looked at Bunnings, Ikea but in the end the 20% off on Golden Oak 45mm wooden slats at Spotlight is always the best buy. On average $30-$60 cheaper then the others on offer.

I have used them in every reno over the last 8 years and never had to replace them. it is really easy to adjust the length as well. Just dont loose the plug at the bottom - speaking form experience.

Check out lasoo.com.au for the latest spotlight catalogue I am pretty sure they have 20% off now until Sun.

Good luck. hope this helps
Jane

Spotlight (on special now in Sydney).
Big W (also on special now in Sydney).
Spotlight a little cheaper. PVC

Aluminium more expensive but also on special.

They sell a little cutter thingy to cut the width if too wide (I don't know how good it would be). I'd imagine it wouldn't be easy to get them exactly the same length.

Spotlight 40% off sale on dark oak timber venetians . I did my entire 3 bed rental 14 blinds in total for about $1100. Great value I think.

Thanks all (Minxdamanx, vincenzo, Buzz, travelbug and devo76) for sharing your experiences & ideas :). Much appreciated. Now, I need to get some quotes from spotlight before the sale ends.

Hellllpppp!!

I'm still confused what to choose & I need to make this decision on Mon.
2Br IP, a unit, currently has vertical blinds that requires replacement. We also re-paint and re-carpet. PM and friends recommend roller (holland) blinds for more modern looks, I agree. The IP has 2 balconies with sliding doors, one in living and one in main br. Now the blinds person told me this is not a good choice due to this reason:
1. Due to sliding doors, more drilling requires as there will be 3 roller on each sliding doors, this is prone to wall cracking & there will be 3cm gaps between each roller.
2. The roller blind to be mounted outside the frame because lack of space inside the frame. This will give another 2cm gaps from the wall, which will add to more light can get in when closed. All the gaps will reduce privacy.

Could anyone advice if we just go back to chainless vertical or go ahead with roller blinds with the above 2 disadvantages. Blinds are to be done on next saturday.

Thanks all in advance.

I mean about the looks with the consideration given by the blinds person. I need to decide if I go against the advice of the blinds person and just look at all the benefits of roller blinds, and it is also the trend nowadays.

Venetians well everyone has them!! It's your place go with what you feel is right there only giving advice which costs 0

2Br IP, a unit, currently has vertical blinds that requires replacement. We also re-paint and re-carpet. PM and friends recommend roller (holland) blinds for more modern looks, I agree. The IP has 2 balconies with sliding doors, one in living and one in main br. Now the blinds person told me this is not a good choice due to this reason:
1. Due to sliding doors, more drilling requires as there will be 3 roller on each sliding doors, this is prone to wall cracking & there will be 3cm gaps between each roller.
2. The roller blind to be mounted outside the frame because lack of space inside the frame. This will give another 2cm gaps from the wall, which will add to more light can get in when closed. All the gaps will reduce privacy.

Could anyone advice if we just go back to chainless vertical or go ahead with roller blinds with the above 2 disadvantages. Blinds are to be done on next saturday.

Thanks all in advance.

The Blinds Consultant is absolutely correct. Roller Blinds do not work over sliding doors. There would be unsightly gaps between the blinds and they would be a pain to roll up and down when going through the sliding doors.

Best method over sliding doors are vertical blinds with wand control and sewn in bottom weights.

Just noticed the roller blinds would need to be mounted on the outside wall. Not a good look at all.

I suggest you go with vertical blinds.

muStangman.

Thanks heaps Stangman. I'll go for vertical blind then. I can sleep better tonight than thinking about this again.

Sorry to BackSpace for hijacking his thread, I just realise that this thread is holland vs venetian.

We always used Spotlight and their 25mm PVC venetian blinds when on special.

Last special all sizes were $10...!
Bought a heap.

Can do a whole house for around $100 at that rate.

They last a few years, it's tenants we are talking about so why pay overs?

Easily fitted and just as easy to replace.

Nice when new, especially the white ones, brighten up any place.;)

Thanks all in advance.

Another option is what we did, put verticals just on the sliding door and roller blinds everywhere else in the house. I think it still looks good. Just make sure you get the same colour for both so it ties in.

Back