Holsworthy/Wattle Grove/Hammondville

Any of you guys got any thoughts on the above areas?
I am looking to buy a house and they seem pretty affordable with median prices around the $500-$550 mark. Good connections to the city via train (I work Sydney CBD) from holsworthy given the distance.
Went for a drive out there today and it's pretty decent place. Its green, the river is close. Unsure of schools as yet.

I thought wattle grove was a bit of a recently planned town with a shopping centre and no real high street. I find this makes a place lack character but it is not a deal breaker IMO. I really liked Hammondville as it had a nice little strip of shops and had a bit of a better feel about it.
I found Holdsworthy was pretty much just the train station.

I know they want to build the a massive logistics centre at moorebank which would put some strain on local traffic and possible air/light pollution issues. Outside of this are there any other down sides (or up sides) I should consider?

Appreciate your help
Nick

I also know the barracks are at Holsworthy. I guess the issue here would be noise from artillery exercises. Anyone got any idea of the frequency and severity of the exercises?

Hi Nick,

I live at Hammondville. I have been in the area for about 12 months moving from the Sutherland Shire. My partner bought a PPOR which we have renovated.

The area itself is fine. It does lack substance when it comes to "lifestyle", however Nicole Kidman did visit recently. The local shopping centres are at Holsworthy (Coles and approved buy yet to be built Aldi) and Moorebank (Woolworths) otherwise you are going to Liverpool (Westfield). There are both public and private (catholic) schools up around Heathcote Road. Bus connection through those suburbs regularly up to Holsworthy train station.

I travel to North Sydney each day via the train and can from home to work take an hour and a half. Heathcote Road is a bottleneck up to the train station in the morning and afternoon. The local politicians are fighting hard to fix this mostly to do with the influx of army personnel using the same in and out as train commuters.

There is very minor noise from the army barracks that can be heard at Hammondville - maybe more noticeable around Holsworthy particularly if you are buying around the train station.

I think it is a good place to raise a family and will in time get the "lifestyle".

I hope that goes some way to helping ...

Hi Nick,

I live at Hammondville. I have been in the area for about 12 months moving from the Sutherland Shire. My partner bought a PPOR which we have renovated.

The area itself is fine. It does lack substance when it comes to "lifestyle", however Nicole Kidman did visit recently. The local shopping centres are at Holsworthy (Coles and approved buy yet to be built Aldi) and Moorebank (Woolworths) otherwise you are going to Liverpool (Westfield). There are both public and private (catholic) schools up around Heathcote Road. Bus connection through those suburbs regularly up to Holsworthy train station.

I travel to North Sydney each day via the train and can from home to work take an hour and a half. Heathcote Road is a bottleneck up to the train station in the morning and afternoon. The local politicians are fighting hard to fix this mostly to do with the influx of army personnel using the same in and out as train commuters.

There is very minor noise from the army barracks that can be heard at Hammondville - maybe more noticeable around Holsworthy particularly if you are buying around the train station.

I think it is a good place to raise a family and will in time get the "lifestyle".

I hope that goes some way to helping ...

Thanks SWS that is great info.

You mentioned Coles. Is this the Coles that is attached to the shopping centre at Wattle Grove in the same complex as the pub? Or is there another one at Holsworthy?

Hammondville seems pretty peaceful. Outside of the noise from the barracks do you get get alot of noise? Note: I am living in marrickville and get planes, trains and automobiles around the clock so I am looking to get away from that a little bit.

I saw at place at Meehan st and it was pretty close to where the m5 & heathcote road meet. There was a bit of noise. I assume as you move into the suburb in a more SE direction the noise would reduce and you get closer to the station also which is a bonus. Would it be pushing the firendship to ask what St you live in? Or you can PM me if prefereable. No dramas if not.

Finally, do you have any concerns about the logistics centre being built over near Wattle Grove. It looks to be about 2.5km away as the crow flies so on the surface it does not seem too bad.

I used to live in Holsworthy for a few years and working in the city. It is quite good, basic lifestyle. Trains are a hassle as there is usually no seats in the morning and parking is full after 8am

school is only average, shops are just the grocery, anything else will have to drive

investment wise will face stiff competition from the nearby glenfield, where lots and lots of land to be developed, and trains with seat!

Thanks all for your responses
MrT - I have not as yet - my search is in its early stages. I will head out there and check it out though. Any chance you could point me in the right direction as far as good street, locations etc.

I used to live in Holsworthy, it's a typical quiet suburb, we never noticed much noise from the army training exercises but we lived near the swimming pool and high school. The areas closer to the train line might have had more noise, not sure.

I don't know about the private schools, but the high school there wasn't all that good, no idea if that has changed in the last 10-15 years.

The main thing is that it has train access and it's not a "drive through" suburb, ie it's off the main road and if you're driving through Holsworthy it's probably because you live there. Heathcote Road used to get pretty busy, I don't imagine it's got any better with time.

Back