Home Issues

W

WebBoard

RENTING OUT THE OLD HOUSE
Date: 8/11/00
Time: 10:04:43 AM

Hi All

Just a quick question for anyone in the know. If my house is paid off and I rent it out and I buy another house with a loan of course, would I get any tax benefits or not? Because the tenant of my old house would help pay off the existing loan on the new house? Thanks in advance !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew G

Reply: 1

Re: RENTING OUT THE OLD HOUSE
Time: 11:57:19 AM

What is the purpose of the loan? That is the question the tax man will ask.

If it for a personal residence then no. If it is for an investment property then yes.

Without specifics it may be worth selling the old house to your mum/dad/wife/kid/dog etc and then buy it back again with a mortgage that will be a deduction as it now for an IP. Alternatively put the property in to an entity (the rent is then taxed at only 30% which is good if you are paying a marginal rate above this) then the entity can buy the new property and rent it out (and by golly if this happens to be you well fantastic what a winner).

I have no idea of you situation so as always check it out with someone who knows your situation in detail and does this stuff for a living.

Andrew

P.S Just to beat Les to the jump, there is a handy little book at the ATO site that will help you out. (When you download it don’t forget to put in Les’ referral number....he needs that dollar ;-)

marina

Reply: 1.1

Time: 6:34:32 PM

I quite like the idea of selling our house to mum and dad and then buying the house back again. The only problem I can see with this is my parents would need to approach a bank to borrow $200K and I don't think they would feel comfortable with this. Any ideas?

Andrew G

Reply: 1.1.1

Date: 8/12/00
Time: 3:26:21 PM

“I don't think they would feel comfortable with this. Any ideas?”

Don’t die wondering (translated: ask them)

Ideas: Ask someone else (that you trust).

Andrew.

Owen

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Time: 1:39:32 PM

Hi Andrew G,

How about a few of those specifics, specific to no-one of course. You said "Alternatively put the property in to an entity (the rent is then taxed at only 30% which is good if you are paying a marginal rate above this) then the entity can buy the new property and rent it out (and by golly if this happens to be you well fantastic what a winner)." Very interested in this.

By an entity I assume you mean a trust or a company. If this is done I assume stamp duty still has to be paid but is offset buy the long term tax savings. If the entity then buys the new IP and it is negatively geared, me as an individual cannot get a tax saving out of it. Is that correct? Of course if it is earning me money like it should be then the tax is lower. I would still have to pay the balance of the tax if I was to use any of the money though wouldn't I?

As you can see I may or may not have any ideas about trusts and companies but would be interested in some basic structures and the benefits/pitfalls of them. Once my IP's go positive I need to save some of that tax somehow!!!

Owen

Andrew G

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Date: 8/13/00
Time: 2:05:57 PM

“How about a few of those specifics, specific to no-one of course.”

I didn’t make myself clear here I meant with out William’s specifics. I didn't know if it was just in his name, wife's name, if he had a wife etc.

“By an entity I assume you mean a trust or a company”

Yes.

“If this is done I assume stamp duty still has to be paid but is offset buy the long term tax savings.”

Yes.

“If the entity then buys the new IP and it is negatively geared, me as an individual cannot get a tax saving out of it. Is that correct?”

Yes. For some stupid reason and artist can be structured this way and claim a loss but the rest of us can’t. I guess we don’t contribute to the culture of the country. I suppose I’d better become a bad painter who can’t sell any of his work…hang on I am one of them already. I can’t paint and on one would buy them that’s for sure.

“Of course if it is earning me money like it should be then the tax is lower.”

Depends on your tax bracket.

“I would still have to pay the balance of the tax if I was to use any of the money though wouldn't I?

Yes, I think. I’m not too sure what you are asking.

Owen you would have seen my posts on another forum about investing/operating as a company. I hope this helps a little.

Andrew.

Terry A

Reply: 1.2

Time: 10:58:16 AM

Andrew, I wouldn't think the cost of setting up an entity would sufficiently offset the tax savings (up to 18% depending on tax bracket) compared to loan establishment costs, stamp duty, interest, accountant's fees, compliance fees, etc. Especially for one house.

I own several IPs and it is not worth it for me to transfer them into another entity as I get bigger deductions on my tax rate. You are right that a company would pay less tax if your marginal rate was 47% but if the property has any deductions for capital allowance and furniture depreciation then maybe the taxable income will be in the 30% bracket anyway.

As with all things everyone must do their own calculations to find the right fit but one of the biggest mistakes I made was to try to avoid tax on a profit. If you are making a profit and it is taxed then that is a great situation to be in. The profit can be used to invest in more IPs or shares, remember compounding and don't forget negative gearing to use the profit and pay no tax.

Andrew G

Reply: 1.2.1

Time: 3:08:23 PM

Terry,

You are talking to the wrong guy about negative gearing. Can’t sell me on that one I’m afraid.

In William’s situation I have next to no information to work with so I was guessing. But he did say he had no debt attached to the property so as a result all income from it is taxed at his top marginal rate (less a few deductions). By restructuring he will then have a deductible debt as opposed to none.

Avoiding tax is a crime and I wouldn’t do it…however I am very interested in reducing my tax burden. Making a profit and being taxed is not a great situation to be in, making a profit and not being taxed is a great situation to be in. I am also well aware of the power of compounding.

Andrew.

Terry A

Reply: 1.2.1.1

I AGREE
Time: 4:12:56 PM

Andrew I agree with you that making a profit and paying little or no tax is a better proposition and you are correct that there was little detail to go on. I probably didn't have my brain engaged properly when I fired off my response.

After a little thought I think what some people miss is that in this case if they sold to a third person (parents, wife, siblings, trust, company or whatever) they reserve the principal residence exemption for capital gains but when that third person sells back to them then there will be capital gains to pay and selling at a loss will attract the taxman's interest.

A trust or company also loses the 50% capital gains exemption that an individual has on any capital gain. The advantages and disadvantages need to be weighed up before a decision is made.

Peter L

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1

Time: 4:46:11 PM

Restructuring? What do you mean by this? If its selling to mum and dad or friends I think this is a lousy idea. I have put this idea forward to friends and family but it is something that they do not feel comfortable with.

We own our own home and we would like to remortgage it so we can buy a brand new property debt free and claim the old house as a rental deduction.

We are still confused about how to do this and we do not think that setting up an Entity would be tax effective for us.

Andrew G

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1

Time: 2:07:47 PM

“Restructuring? What do you mean by this?”

By restructuring I mean the way your investments are held and your income is earned. You could be “structured” as a trust, company, individual or much better still a combination of these.

“If its selling to mum and dad or friends I think this is a lousy idea. I have put this idea forward to friends and family but it is something that they do not feel comfortable with.”

Is that the only reason you think it is lousy? If it is then it’s more a problem of how you have pitched it to them than the idea itself. Why are they uncomfortable with owning your house for about 10 minutes? I can handle you telling me it is lousy but at least tell me why.

“We own our own home and we would like to remortgage it so we can buy a brand new property debt free and claim the old house as a rental deduction.”

This will not be possible if you are borrowing the money to buy your own home. It is the purpose of the loan that matters not the security involved.

“We are still confused about how to do this and we do not think that setting up an Entity would be tax effective for us.”

In the “Empire Strikes Back” Luke Skywalker is training with Yoda. Yoda tells him to use “the force” to lift his crashed craft out of the swamp. Luke says “O.K. I’ll try” Yoda then replies “Don’t try, DO!”

I thought that was excellent and it can be adapted for other situations. For example “don’t think, find out.” 9 times out of 10 when we say “I don’t think that….” it really means that “I don’t know if….”

Personally I think the action that follows these two statements are very different. The first we just continue to think about it with the lack of information we already have, the second approach means we get that information and then make an informed decision from knowledge rather than guess work or at least admit that we actually don’t know. It is the difference between the door being shut and it being slightly ajar.

Andrew.

Peter L

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1

Time: 8:19:31 PM

By reading Gary's post #16 you will get a clear and accurate understanding of why it is a "lousy" idea, not to mention the fact that my parents just told me that there is no way in hell they are going to the bank to borrow $200K.

"we own our own home and we would like to remortgage it so we can buy a brand new property debt-free and claim the old house as a rental deduction."

I KNOW that this is not possible because the PURPOSE of the loan is to buy a private residence.I am very clear on that. What is not clear at the moment is re-structuring, setting up trusts companies etc. This is a whole different ball game and I know that this will take a lot of time in educating myself and finding out how it can work to benefit our family situation.

It took my wife (marina) and I 3 years of reading, seminars and talking to people about wealth creation, shares and property to finally be able to put our plan into action.

We now have 2 IP'S plus our principal residence (THE OLD HOUSE) and at the moment we are searching for our 4th property.

The second step is as you say "restructure" and we are trying to learn, that is why we are on this web site.

Apologies if we do not know much about this area.

Any help without sarcasm would be appreciated greatly.

Andrew G

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1

Date: 8/14/00
Time: 2:19:12 AM

Peter

Are you claiming I was being sarcastic in my previous post to you? If you are, you are wrong and I don’t understand this accusation. I may be very direct (and I do my best not to be blunt) but I don’t bother using sarcasm in the written word as it gets way to confusing. Please check my other posts to this forum (or any other for that matter) and I doubt you will see the use of sarcasm in any of them.

If you didn’t like my quote from Yoda that is disappointing, only because I personally like it so much. Whenever I catch myself saying “I think…” then I know that actually I don’t know and need to find out, this change in attitude has made a massive difference to me. I just wanted to share it with others in the forum, just like I am happy to share my other thoughts. Perhaps this is not such a good idea

I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Andrew

Gary

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Date: 8/15/00
Time: 10:11:18 AM

The first thing you need to do is to educate yourself on trusts and companies, and their advantages and disadvantages. No one can tell which is 'best' - you have to look at all the sides and make the decision on what is best for you.

There is a book called 'Family Trusts' by Nick Renton. Buy a copy and read it carefully. Some of the details are out of date - there have been a lot of changes to the trust laws recently (and if the labour party wins the next election it looks like there will be more to come) but it will give you on overview of what trusts are, how they work and whether or not they may be of use to you.

I think you also need to consider your long term needs. Don't get caught up in a short term strategy to save some tax unless there are also long term benefits, and I'm not talking just about tax here. Rush into a solution today to get around your current 'problem' and you might find yourself with a bigger problem 5 or 10 years down the track.

Consider carefully how far you are prepared to push the tax laws. Personally, I think the long term certainty of having my tax affairs (reasonably) beyond challenge by the tax office is worth a lot more than the temporary saving of some tax dollars.

If an accountant/tax planner suggests something than sounds dodgy to you, get a second opinion, or better still, a private ruling. Just because an accountant says you can do something doesn't mean you can. The best they can do is offer an opinion on what the tax office's opinion will be - you won't find out if that opinion is right until later if you get audited. Use the ATO internet site and search through their legal database of past cases and rulings. Hey it isn't fun, but knowledge is important.

As for your present situation, if it was me I would be selling your present house and using the money to buy your next house with that money. Then borrow against that to buy another house to rent out. Unless there is something really special about your present house that makes it much better as a rental house than anything else you can find.

The disadvantages are that you will have to pay selling costs and buying costs on the new house. The advantages are that it is beyond challenge by the tax office and all your borrowings will then be tax-deductible. As for a trust, the only thing I can be sure about is that you presently don't know enough about them to make an informed decision.

I don't know the borrowing level for your other two rental houses. But to be tax-effective the trust has to be at worst cash-flow neutral - having a trust or company that loses money is not a good idea. But again you need to look at the long term picture. If you look into trusts and decide that long term it is the right thing for you, then you may be prepared to pay extra in the short term for the long term benefits.

Paying more tax for the next 5 years and then paying less for the 40 years after that is probably a good deal. Realise that your situation may change in later years in a way that you may not realise now. Try to be as flexible as possible.

Gary

Owen

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Like your style Gary
Time: 5:01:18 PM

Gary,

Thanks for that really informative reply to Peters post. You answered the entity/trust question in a nice simple way that made real sense.

Many people have said that changing situations require changing the way in which our own investment portfolios should be structured and your post reinforced that in a very good way. Rather than knee jerk reactions to our current situation we should all continue educating ourselves and applying that knowledge in an informed manner as required.

The information that us learner investors often need is not only the how (which is up to us to learn) but often the when. This comes with experience but the ability to learn from someone else's experience can help lessen the blows when we make our own mistakes.

Thanks again, Owen

Gary

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.2

Time: 6:10:06 PM

Andrew, in post 11, you said:
>> Is that the only reason you think it is lousy? If it is then it’s more a problem of how you have pitched it to them than the idea itself. Why are they uncomfortable with owning your house for about 10 minutes? I can handle you telling me it is lousy but at least tell me why. <<

How about because there is a real possibility that the ATO will use part IVA of the tax act on you and declare that the arrangement was an artificial one designed to avoid tax, and therefore illegal. And you have dragged your parents into an tax evasion court case. That should liven up the family Christmas dinner.

Fair enough if you want to take the risk yourself, but I don't see that possibly implicating your family in a tax avoidance scheme is a fair thing to do to them. Most people have a fairly rational fear of the ATO. I don't blame them at all for thinking the idea is lousy - after all they aren't getting any benefit out of it.

Gary

Andrew G

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1

Date: 8/14/00
Time: 2:08:56 AM

Gary

It is very artificial and totally transparent, but it got you thinking didn’t it. The big question is did you come up with an alternative? Do you see a way through their problem?

Now just for fun, what if the parents buy at say $140K (stressed sale you really needed the money) sell it back at $165K and carry the deposit as a second so that you have nothing in the deal. Have you not done this to take all your money out of the deal? Especially if the second was at below market rates, it is a sound financial decision. The folks have just created an asset that will pay them into the future. It would be interesting to get a ruling on that from the ATO.

It goes without saying, it is better to get it right in the first place.

Andrew.

Gary

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.2.1.1

Time: 10:16:11 AM

Made me think about how much creative energy people put into coming up with ways to avoid their responsibilities.

It makes me wonder and how much better off we would all be if that energy was instead put into finding creative ways of making money and building wealth.

Don't take that personally Andrew, its not aimed at anyone in particular, just a general observation.

I don't think that Peter really has a problem that needs to be solved, he just needs some direction as to the way forward from where is he is. He already is way ahead of the majority of people, and that isn't a 'problem'. If he continues as he has, he may end up with 15-20 houses. That one was not bought in the most tax effective manner isn't terribly important.

Gary

Back