Home Price Guide - new layout - thoughts??

G'day all,

I've been monitoring "HomePriceGuide" for a few years now. An interesting twist (has been introduced within the last month) is an "Annual Growth Over the Last 10 Years" figure.

THIS latest one bowled me sideways. And, yeah, I guess it is all "damn lies and statistics" - but, in some ways, it sort of fits (????)

The "bowled me sideways" bit comes from the figure for our GC Hinterland property (yes, I KNOW we've done well from it), but it is almost DOUBLE the growth from any of the other IP's we hold in Bne itself. It shows as 21.x% - while our other IP's (Bne, various areas) range from 8% to 11.5%).

That's a HUGE difference in anyone's language.

But what's my question? Well, I'm not too sure, but something along the lines of:-

1. Have you checked out www.homepriceguide.com.au recently (look for "Postcode snapshot" - for free - on the RH side, near the bottom of the page) - and, how do YOU see it's data? Believable? Stretched? Useful? Not useful?
I know our Hinterland suburb almost "topped the poll" with 59% growth in 2003 - but, a 21%+ increase over TEN years is close to unbelievable...... (using the "rule of 72", this doubles in value every 3.5 years - BRING IT ON!!!)

2. Did YOU get any surprises with the latest release of the HPG figures? What did you make of them, relative to YOUR IP's?

Interested in all thoughts,

Rgeards,

PS in case you're interested, this was our "hinterland property mid-2003" when we bought it - http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9317&highlight=paradise

Last edited:
I found the 'Long Term Trend' bars completely meaningless as there are some errors in the key (is a top 10% suburb a 1 or a 5?). The user interface is also terrible for the explanatory notes.

The areas I'm interested in had several 'SNR' indications, which limited its usefulness.

Peter

The long-term trend data definitely looks like rubbish to me.

Days on market seems to volatile from one quarter to the next. Something seems to be wrong.

Can't find anything clearly wrong with the rest of the data.

Cheers,

Back