Homes of multiple occupancy

Hi there,

I am from the UK and have a property there. I waas just looking to see that the rents are in line with the local market and noticed that there are now a lot of student let houses making a nice return due to renting each room out individually.

I instantly looked into remortgaging to see if I could buy one in the area and do the same and it looks like I might struggle to do this due to living here ( although I am making enquiries)

I would like to know if the same opportunities exist here near Universities etc. I am not against the idea of multiple occupants if the returns are greater. Does anyone have experience with this or could point me towards someone who does.

I am not into the idea of negative gearing and I know that neutral and positive gearing is not easy to achieve so wondered if this could be the solution.

Yes it's a viable proposition but is a lot of work.

Renting by the room is common and can increase yield.

You do need to ensure that you don't ever have more than 5 unrelated parties staying otherwise you need a boarding house license.

With renting by the room you generally pay for all utilities (water, elec, gas etc) and wifi. You may choose to do it furnished or unfurnished.

If targetting university surrounds you may have a lot of vacancies over summer break which can hurt the hip pocket.

Back