Homes of the Future

I think you are missing the forest for the trees with your fixation on 24sqm. No-one said that this singular example is a space suitable for a family.But there are families raising children in spaces a little over twice that size.The concepts of multiple use spaces is of great benefit to those families who can't afford more raw footage where they live. Clever fittings and furnishings will help them maximise their use of the space.

I don't disagree with increased volume, multiple levels etc. But there is a real movement occurring in these cities for clever use of space and reduced costs of living. I'd suggest doing some serious research into small space living and the trend in household demographics before I would be so dismissive of the concepts being presented.

I think the multi use rooms ideas are the real winner ie a guest room (murphy bed) that folds up flat to the wall with say a wardrobe inside and another pannel next to ti that folds out into a study desk office area is way cool. The tenant/owner can have a spare bedroom when required and an office.

I dont think the intent was to say tiny floorspace appartments that require a lot of shifting and moving daily is the way to go.

but a spare room that becomes multifunctional i think is the way to go. beds and wardrobes can rob heaps of space especially in a seldom used (for guests sleeping) guest bedroom. that could be used as an office, kids play area , exercise area, what ever. very useful!

you fold up the desk into the wall and hide the clutter. pull out the bed etc as required. I think the dining table pull out is a great concept but not really that practical same with moving walls and some of the kitchen ideas, cool but maybe not that practical.

but it could be the dishwasher story. been around for ages, only recently 10 yrs ,perhaps, mainstream kitchen addition. I am sure on the brady bunch TV show they had one....

I think you are missing the forest for the trees with your fixation on 24sqm. No-one said that this singular example is a space suitable for a family.But there are families raising children in spaces a little over twice that size.The concepts of multiple use spaces is of great benefit to those families who can't afford more raw footage where they live. Clever fittings and furnishings will help them maximise their use of the space.

I don't disagree with increased volume, multiple levels etc. But there is a real movement occurring in these cities for clever use of space and reduced costs of living. I'd suggest doing some serious research into small space living and the trend in household demographics before I would be so dismissive of the concepts being presented.

i'm not dismissing the notion at all.

i'm simply saying it's a good start but it's not viable long term.

you've gone on to agree with me that famililes need at least twice the space as per the example given to make co-habitation work - my fixation isn't 24sqm - it's the example you provided.

you're effectively now arguing the same point as me.

i was designing micro-apartments long before they were trendy so i'm well aware of trends and traps, thanks. maybe i could point you to the likes of bjarke ingels, nonda katsilidis, annabelle seldorf etc for a true example of restraint in volume and not over complicating simple, small spaces...?

multifunction is great and micro apartments are the way of the future but a funky moving wall gadget thingo does not a good space make. the true key to a well designed micro apartment is privacy and permanence in a small, multifunctional space.

no sense of anchor will leave your micro apartment feeling like a hotel suite. you'll end up sleeping on the couch most nights, eating your TV dinner on your lap.

The future is in vertical housing - ie apartments. Who needs greenspace 24/7? Kids definitely don't (if they ever get their heads out of each other's laptops) - oops, I better rephrase that. ;)

Stand up classrooms??? Nah, you still need somewhere to type until there is decent and reliable voice recognition software. Geez, they will forget how to write, sure they can't spell any more.

The design of units will be all about function - one just up the road from me sold for $1.7m on the weekend (and nothing flash at all). When you consider that the cost of a raw block of land in some established areas now exceeds $500k per unit, I doubt that people will be seeking lower densities in Sydney.

The design of units will be all about function

I saw a report where they sold apartments in New York, tiny little things, big enough for a bathroom, bed and study area.

No kitchen.

Statistically they realised most people ate out and didn't need a place to cook or do laundry (shared/laundry place).

The future is in vertical housing - ie apartments. Who needs greenspace 24/7? Kids definitely don't (if they ever get their heads out of each other's laptops) - oops, I better rephrase that. ;)

Stand up classrooms??? Nah, you still need somewhere to type until there is decent and reliable voice recognition software. Geez, they will forget how to write, sure they can't spell any more.

The design of units will be all about function - one just up the road from me sold for $1.7m on the weekend (and nothing flash at all). When you consider that the cost of a raw block of land in some established areas now exceeds $500k per unit, I doubt that people will be seeking lower densities in Sydney.

You stand up but still use a desk, many offices are already incorporating this into workplaces. I went into a large corporate last week and a few of the partners were using stand up desks. I'm hoping to install them in our office soon.

Definitely agree with you on vertical housing, I think we'll also see a lot more vertical gardens and rooftop gardens too.

article-2648322-1E74ECCE00000578-499_634x475.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...latest-sign-crazy-London-property-prices.html

that one was gold - an exercise in minimalism gone wrong!

Or a uni student trying to save money :D

Agree that multifunctional spaces are going to become more of the norm over rooms for separate purposes. The old formal dining spaces and separate studies (I remember the inordinate amount of space the old Amiga 500 used to take up in our first "3rd bedroom/study"!!) are fast disappearing in modern builds, in favour of communal/open plan living spaces and cupboards/in-built bench areas for laptop space. As technology plays more of a role in society, it's a natural progression that our day to day activities in the home become more portable, so to speak. The biggest beneficiaries from this age surely have to be the physios :eek::D

On a recent visit to our friends home in FNQ, our eyes were opened to how they had transformed their home by having an external kitchen, which they used regularly due to the climatic conditions. I think the region in which you live will play a major role in house design in the future. As for Gizmo's, who knows what the future holds, a new device enters the market nearly daily!

This is the crux of it. IMHO this is definitely the way things will go. Home designs that fit the climate, we have been building silly European style homes in Australia for too long. This is a major way to reduce our carbon footprint. Homes in tropics should have Kitchens outside, open air showers. In Asia the majority of people cook outside. Inside cooking was about keeping warm in a cold climate. it is a greasy, dirty, stinky habit and totally unnecessary in most parts of Australia, even in winter. Mouldy showers! Why? ... ditch the exhaust fan, Wet areas can get wet and should be open to ventilation. I wouldn't put a roof on a shower unless I was feeling very unlucky about being hit by lightning. We built in port douglas and I was really Peed off that council would not approve my roofless shower. Eventually stick in the mud attitudes will change though I remember building my first home and causing a stir by asking for a tin roof instead of tiles:confused: If I build again in SA, ( driest state in the driest continent), I will have a shaded/ not covered, central open air corridor to access living and bedroom areas. On the few days a year it rains, I'll cope because I will have a lush fresh outdoor paradise To travel through at least 340 days of the year.

We have been cooking outside on the BBQ for at least twenty years now and only turn on the oven to bake garlic bread or if it is cold and raining outside and I want to warm up the house without turning on a heater. But then again, I am weird.

This is the crux of it. IMHO this is definitely the way things will go. Home designs that fit the climate, we have been building silly European style homes in Australia for too long. This is a major way to reduce our carbon footprint. Homes in tropics should have Kitchens outside, open air showers. In Asia the majority of people cook outside. Inside cooking was about keeping warm in a cold climate. it is a greasy, dirty, stinky habit and totally unnecessary in most parts of Australia, even in winter. Mouldy showers! Why? ... ditch the exhaust fan, Wet areas can get wet and should be open to ventilation. I wouldn't put a roof on a shower unless I was feeling very unlucky about being hit by lightning. We built in port douglas and I was really Peed off that council would not approve my roofless shower. Eventually stick in the mud attitudes will change though I remember building my first home and causing a stir by asking for a tin roof instead of tiles:confused: If I build again in SA, ( driest state in the driest continent), I will have a shaded/ not covered, central open air corridor to access living and bedroom areas. On the few days a year it rains, I'll cope because I will have a lush fresh outdoor paradise To travel through at least 340 days of the year.

Sounds like a plan Jasa. My wife and I moved from the NSW north coast to Wonga Beach in 2000 (work related move). Wonderful winters but simply too wet in the summer, and found the beaches not of the same quality. Moved back to MNC of NSW in 2009 and virtually live outdoors. BBQ every night and rarely venture inside only to sleep. The beach is our second backyard.
I have no idea how people can live in a city apartment. Smog, traffic and over population don't do it for me!

Back