Homes officially out of reach for under 35's

I feel a high percentage of home buyers that finish high school or uni aspire to take a gap year off to travel around the world or europe.

When the goal of acquiring a home is getting harder esp due to property prices, cost of buildng and labour - motivation and discipline is hard to establish.

So, all the young people spent too much time and money swanning around Europe posting photos to their Facebook page with their new iPhone and can't save a deposit as a result.

This is a scenario you believe to be in some way representative of first homebuyers in Australia?

Really?

Absolutely.

I feel a high percentage of home buyers that finish high school or uni aspire to take a gap year off to travel around the world or europe.

When the goal of acquiring a home is getting harder esp due to property prices, cost of buildng and labour - motivation and discipline is hard to establish.

take the year off I say

One of my mentors sayings is

you can always make more money, but you cant make more time

ta

rolf

take the year off I say

ta

rolf

I think you will many people who don't have a house, have this attitude.
It may include "I want this sporty car now, when I can enjoy it, and not when I'm 40 and dead !!

I want to go away with my friends, because I only see them a couple times a year...

People will always find excuses for not saving, scrimping,living with in their means.

I was reading an ad the other day.
"Young couple want to rent a bigger space, as we want to start our family"

take the year off I say

ta

rolf

Totally agree.

I'm going to have to steal that one :)

My gap year (which turned into three) were some of the best years of my life.

Cheers

Jamie

My first couple years out of school were the best years too, party central free and easy, yet I worked the whole,time too.

I never ever really thought I would ever ever be able to afford a house and was resigned to thinking I'm a renter all my life. Did I whinge about it...never!!

Found out how to save and just worked harder and then focused on making it affordable by cutting back spending and applying restraint the first few years. After that it just got easier and look back and realise that you just have to have a go. If someone else can do it, so to can you.

Think I might be having my gap year now actually....bit late but better late than never!!:D

So, all the young people spent too much time and money swanning around Europe posting photos to their Facebook page with their new iPhone and can't save a deposit as a result.

This is a scenario you believe to be in some way representative of first homebuyers in Australia?

Really?

Not all; just the ones who whine that they can't afford anything.

My first couple years out of school were the best years too, party central free and easy, yet I worked the whole,time too.

Ahh now I see why you reacted to my other post on alcohol. :D If they were the best years why didn't you continue living like that?

Agree with Dazz and others here. Luck has very little to do with it. People choose their own path and, mostly, their results are the outcome of their choices. Most are happy when things go according to their wishes but are quick to blame others when wanted things don't happen or when unwanted things happen. It's tough taking 100% responsibility but that's how many successful people get where they are.

We had better rename the thread.
"Homes are officially out of reach only for under 35's who won't make lifestyle choices to aquire them"

take the year off I say

ta

rolf

Yep. I agree.

I don't want to be sitting back at 50 and wishing I had travelled when I was younger when I would enjoy it more.

A 5 month holiday cost me around 8k. The memories are priceless.

My only response to this is "you cant put an old head on young shoulders"

Ahh now I see why you reacted to my other post on alcohol. :D If they were the best years why didn't you continue living like that?

Agree with Dazz and others here. Luck has very little to do with it. People choose their own path and, mostly, their results are the outcome of their choices. Most are happy when things go according to their wishes but are quick to blame others when wanted things don't happen or when unwanted things happen. It's tough taking 100% responsibility but that's how many successful people get where they are.

We had better rename the thread.
"Homes are officially out of reach only for under 35's who won't make lifestyle choices to aquire them"

My only response to this is "you cant put an old head on young shoulders"

Sure Ev, though we all love talking up wisdom to the younger ones. Sometimes I wonder why I put my 2c in at all. I'm sure it's mostly attachment to my own opinions. :D

Better get off here and go do some work.

Really?

Most of the friends I had at uni did this, sometimes for several years at a time.

Most of the friends I had at uni did this, sometimes for several years at a time.

My Brother did this in his mid 30s, now he wants help for him to buy a house.

If people have their priorities around the wrong way, stuff 'em.

That's the way home ownership works, make sacrifices.

My Brother did this in his mid 30s, now he wants help for him to buy a house.

If people have their priorities around the wrong way, stuff 'em.

That's the way home ownership works, make sacrifices.

So does he blame you and call you greedy for not helping him out?

Travelling and experiencing the world in my mid-20s was the best time for me. But I also saved and starting buying properties in my late 20s/early 30s. I know people who bought when they were 21 and have been stuck in the same old sleepy city ever since. Sure, I may have lost out on some capital gains, but as someone said, the memories I have over these people are priceless.

Travelling and experiencing the world in my mid-20s was the best time for me. But I also saved and starting buying properties in my late 20s/early 30s. I know people who bought when they were 21 and have been stuck in the same old sleepy city ever since. Sure, I may have lost out on some capital gains, but as someone said, the memories I have over these people are priceless.

Some people don't mind being stuck in the same sleepy city. I'd be guessing that it is quite possible your friends who bought are very happy with the path they have taken, just as you are happy with the path you have taken.

Can you tell I'm one that bought early and has been in the same place all my life :p.

I can now travel where I want, when I want... but I'm not that "into" travel. Never was.

Back