Honeymoon suggestions

Hi all, was lucky enough to get engaged 2 weeks ago and have set the wedding for 16 March 2013!! Going to be a big wedding so there will be a lot of work getting it organised within 5 months so I'm looking forward to having a relaxing honeymoon afterwards!! Just looking for some ideas from people.

Was thinking Maldives but from what I see you pay 10 times the price just so you can say "I've been to the Maldives". I'm now thinking somewhere like Thailand, Fiji, etc.

The only musts are that it must be on the beach and needs to be fairly relaxed and quiet and don't want to travel much further than about 10 hours.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Congratulations Jack!

My wife and I went to Fiji on our honeymoon four and a half years ago, and I thoroughly recommend it. It certainly was relaxing and nice and quiet - until we got to the airport!

Fiji or Cook Islands- been to both and they are lovely, laid back, reasonably priced and white sand with blue water... Ah Bliss :D

We did a five week trek around Europe, it was fantastic! I can also vouch for Fiji but make sure it's a decent resort.

Think about the things you like doing most together, then go somewhere that facitiates those activites.

Alternatively you can just spend the entire time locked in a hotel room :)

Congrats!

5 months to plan... :eek: You're getting married three weeks after my fiance and I tie the knot. Good luck with the planning, it's a nightmare.

Personally we've gone down the Thailand route, as we just wanted something relaxing and simple, with good food and nice scenery. It's been a long time since we have done a holiday, so after work + wedding planning, it seemed like a natural progression.

How about Hawaii? I haven't been but it looks like it has a bit of everything - nice beaches but lots of other stuff to do as well.

When my wife and I were planning our wedding/honeymoon we decided to wait for a great deal to come along (for one of many locations we wanted to visit) rather than picking a specific destination. I guess we are a little practical like that :D

Ended up going to Japan (2 for 1 Jetstar deal) and although not the most romantic of locations for a honeymoon we still had a great time and I would do it again.

So I guess you can pick your destination and probably pay a premium to ensure you can book the right dates, etc or you can just look out for great deals over the next few months and lock in where your budget will go the furthest!

Forget 'romantic' and go somehere fun.

I've been to the Maldives (when it was cheap), and I think for Maldives money there are better things to do.

Congrats!

5 months to plan... :eek: You're getting married three weeks after my fiance and I tie the knot. Good luck with the planning, it's a nightmare.

Personally we've gone down the Thailand route, as we just wanted something relaxing and simple, with good food and nice scenery. It's been a long time since we have done a holiday, so after work + wedding planning, it seemed like a natural progression.

We've had a pretty good run so far - church, reception & priest are all available on the day we hope for so we have the big 3 locked in! But somehow I think it's going to be all the little things that are the most frustrating.

I'm liking the look of Thailand, certainly seems best value for money.... Whereabouts you staying, I've heard good things about Koh Samui?

I've been to the Maldives (when it was cheap), and I think for Maldives money there are better things to do.

I'm starting to agree with you VY, just got to convince the fiance now... As long as there's a beach and a pool so I can relax after a stressful 5 months then I'm happy!

We did a five week trek around Europe, it was fantastic! I can also vouch for Fiji but make sure it's a decent resort.

Think about the things you like doing most together, then go somewhere that facitiates those activites.

Alternatively you can just spend the entire time locked in a hotel room :)

Thanks PT_Bear. We've both done a lot of travel through Europe and we also have a month there next August so just looking for a place to chill for the honeymoon!

How about Hawaii? I haven't been but it looks like it has a bit of everything - nice beaches but lots of other stuff to do as well.

I'm surprised at how many Aussies go to Hawaii. It's a LONG way for beaches that aren't stuinning (compared to the southern hemisphere).

There are some beautiful islands in Thailand.

One of my daughers went to Aitutaki in the Cook Islands (lots of honeymooners). She loved it. Another daughter just got back from hayman and Hamilton. She said Hayman was a bit quiet but loved it.

How about Phuket, Thailand? For sure you will enjoy the relaxing ambience … southern Thai architecture, villa-style hotel on absolute beachfront. Experience the traditional Thai spa treatments.

Hi all, was lucky enough to get engaged 2 weeks ago and have set the wedding for 16 March 2013!! Going to be a big wedding so there will be a lot of work getting it organised within 5 months so I'm looking forward to having a relaxing honeymoon afterwards!! Just looking for some ideas from people.

Was thinking Maldives but from what I see you pay 10 times the price just so you can say "I've been to the Maldives". I'm now thinking somewhere like Thailand, Fiji, etc.

The only musts are that it must be on the beach and needs to be fairly relaxed and quiet and don't want to travel much further than about 10 hours.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pearl Beach or Pretty Beach central coast. Great beaches, very private and relaxed. About two hours from you by plane and car.

We've had a pretty good run so far - church, reception & priest are all available on the day we hope for so we have the big 3 locked in! But somehow I think it's going to be all the little things that are the most frustrating.

I'm liking the look of Thailand, certainly seems best value for money.... Whereabouts you staying, I've heard good things about Koh Samui?

Fantastic! As long as the main things are out of the way, you should be fine. Everything else can be adjusted if something isn't available.

We're staying just south of Phuket at Karon Beach. Most people I know who travel to Phuket regularly suggested it would be a good idea, as it's away from the bussle of the nightlife so you can have the relaxation, whilst only being a couple minutes up the road. It also seems to have a lot more resorts and restaurants targeting couples, as opposed to partying 18 yr olds.

I've heard a lot of good things about Koh Samui also, but a number of people have also said in the end they prefer Phuket as it does has a bit more on offer if you get bored of laying around the beach.

Bula!

Hi jackbak,

Fiji is fantastic. Very lovely people and culture.
I have been a couple of times, once with a group of friends and the second time with my partner.

Make sure you visit and stay on the yasawa Islands.
We stayed at the Nanuya Island resort:
http://www.nanuyafiji.com/
It was about a 4 hour boat ride from the main island but well worth the trip. The movie the blue lagoon was filmed there. So relaxing and peaceful. Very quite and not may people. Make sure you book bure 11 as it has the best view
Maybe 5 days max here to unwind.

On the way back stop at a octopus resort: http://octopusresort.com/
Fantastic snorkelling on the reef. A few more people on this island and more activities to do. You can get a beahfront bure and here the waves as you fall asleep.

We booked everything on line and emailed the resorts direct. We love Fiji and will be back All the best!
Bula!

Congratulations!

I'm getting married the weekend before you. We decided on Vietnam/Thailand for our honeymoon in late April/Early May for three weeks. We went to Fiji late last year and to be honest it wasn't as cheap as I'd imagined.

Back