Hong Kong Democracy Protests

what about millions that didn't? why do thousands think they can decide for millions?
Why does one party think they can decide for millions?

Hong Kongers simply want to select their own leaders. It is their life. Let them decide what they want to do. I can't understand the mentality of some people (who live here) who is happy to deny that.

what about millions that didn't? why do thousands think they can decide for millions?

Those millions that want to elect the China candidates are able to so in the ballots even if the protestors are successful. The thing is that the thousands do not decide for the millions, the millions do. That's the beauty of democracy isn't it?

Still don't understand how you can link between Australia Hong Kong democracy and sharia law. For those countries they overthrow a dictator leaving a power vacuum. It's different. So you saying if liberal government got rid of elections you won't protest because you are afraid of sharia law? Great analogy there.

Too many 'western' commentary on this topic.

Totally agree with Deltaberry, if only because many of my non-mainland Chinese friends think likewise.

Hong Kong has been stable, its been a good place to make money.
Life is never perfect, things could be worse, a stable place to make money over-rides democracy for democracy's sake.

Its not just Deltaberry who thinks like this.
Many Chinese do, especially those who have passed their teenage years.

Does your non-mainland Chinese include Hong Kong people? If it does then it's kinda weird. Why should people in Hong Kong think like mainland Chinese? It's like asking Western Australia people to think like Victoria, and let's elect someone from Victoria to govern our state. Maybe if they are corrupted enough divert all the money from wa to Victoria. We shouldn't protest for fear of sharia law.

Those millions that want to elect the China candidates are able to so in the ballots even if the protestors are successful. The thing is that the thousands do not decide for the millions, the millions do. That's the beauty of democracy isn't it?

Still don't understand how you can link between Australia Hong Kong democracy and sharia law. For those countries they overthrow a dictator leaving a power vacuum. It's different. So you saying if liberal government got rid of elections you won't protest because you are afraid of sharia law? Great analogy there.

you are correct i wouldn't protest. because there is no significant difference between liberals and labor, and no one else has a chance to come to power and be able to change something.

i bet you if elections weren't compulsory we would only see about 30-40 percent attendance anyway cause most people don't care

you are correct i wouldn't protest. because there is no significant difference between liberals and labor, and no one else has a chance to come to power and be able to change something.

i bet you if elections weren't compulsory we would only see about 30-40 percent attendance anyway cause most people don't care

Lucky for you that can't be measured because you'd probably lose the bet. In America the voter turnout has averaged around 60% for the last century or so, we'll above what you're saying

average for the century is very good measure :rolleyes:

i lived in countries where people don't have an option to vote. trust me, they don't suffer at all

average for the century is very good measure :rolleyes:

i lived in countries where people don't have an option to vote. trust me, they don't suffer at all

Well find a better measure then, even over the last 20 years your figure is way off, there is no evidence to support it unless you can provide it?

I've also lived in non-democratic countries and believe me, people do suffer. Maybe not directly, but indirectly - from the massive corruption, complete lack of accountability, cronyism, petty corruption, complete lack of human rights for the poor, etc.

Democracy isn't perfect, but it at least forces governments to be somewhat accountable to their people.

Why does one party think they can decide for millions?

Hong Kongers simply want to select their own leaders. It is their life. Let them decide what they want to do. I can't understand the mentality of some people (who live here) who is happy to deny that.

Well said. We just want to elect our own leader. It does not link to the living standard of HK or happiness level of HKese.

Especially the last 3 appointed leaders from China were so against the view of the majority. They ignored the feeling and lives of people in HK because they do not to get our votes to take that seat. All the leader need to do is to please the China government and officials to secure his power. Therefor, if there is democracy in HK, at least the leader represent us, the Hong Kong people.

Does your non-mainland Chinese include Hong Kong people? If it does then it's kinda weird. Why should people in Hong Kong think like mainland Chinese? It's like asking Western Australia people to think like Victoria, and let's elect someone from Victoria to govern our state. Maybe if they are corrupted enough divert all the money from wa to Victoria. We shouldn't protest for fear of sharia law.

As a citizen of HK, obviously my view doens't count.

As a citizen of HK, obviously my view doens't count.

Of course your view should count. But the ironic thing is that based on the direction Hong Kong is taking and the chances of getting a positive result from the occupy central movement, your view wouldn't count for much going forward (unless you are one of the higher ups). Well maybe it's best that way as at least it will save you the trip to the ballot box.

That's pretty short sighted to give up democracy because there is no good candidates or good parties now. And one of the reason why liberal and labour policies are similar because they are both pandering to the masses for fear of backlash in the polls. That maybe flawed itself cause what the majority wants may not be the best, but at least the majority still can decide in what they want and have an opportunity to change it if it's not right.

if the majority is only offered a choice between green apple and red apple, what do you do if you want an orange?

Start your own political party and see if you get popular support. Plenty of them to choose from.

The two main political parties are successful because they are the closest to representing the views of the majority of the population.

Start your own political party and see if you get popular support. Plenty of them to choose from.

The two main political parties are successful because they are the closest to representing the views of the majority of the population.

That's my goal if I ever hit around $800m. Otherwise, I'll just keep laughing at Clive and Kim (Dotcom).

Back