Hong Kong Democracy Protests

devank
Now you caught me out, I was too busy shopping to bother counting:p
Let me guess, perhaps more than 3,000 but most definitely less than 500,000.

To me as an observer seems a very nice, friendly protest for the moment, what happens next, we will see.

Protesters threatening to start protesting in Government Buildings, I just don't see it escalating to this level. I think the protesters will run out of steam.

Perhaps, water canons next???

MTR

Last edited:
The west only wants Chinese money, but slags all over China whenever they can
This can be seen from very early histories, won't go into details

What you choose to believe is up to you, whether it is media influenced or not, but at end of day, the aim of improving living standards is what a successful government does

Well said. I don't see living conditions improved in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Egypt. So much for USA democracy.

devank
Now you caught me out, I was too busy shopping to bother counting:p
Let me guess, perhaps more than 3,000 but most definitely less than 500,000.

To me as an observer seems a very nice, friendly protest for the moment, what happens next, we will see.

Protesters threatening to start protesting in Government Buildings, I just don't see it escalating to this level. I think the protesters will run out of steam.

Perhaps, water canons next???

MTR

Not this protest. I was responding to a post about protests many months earlier, where Occupy Central organisers exaggerated the amount of support they had.

Anyway, tonight the Anti Occupy Central force (ie the rest of the Hong Kong citizens) are coming out. We'll find out see who has more people.

You only had 3000 people on the streets. Don't make things up please. The half a million is a figure the protest organisers made up. Everyone in HK knows.

As I said you are entitled to your opinion but please be respectful. I don't need to make thing up in the Australian investment forum about the HK protest. Also, I don't understand why you always need to present yourself in such an arrogant way. We can have different political views but do you need to point your finger at someone else as " spoilt rotten kids" or "making thing up"?

The protest organiser said there were half a million people and police said there were 100,000. You can pick anything in between the figures to believe but not 3,000.

Have a read
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_1_July_marches#2014_protests

As I said you are entitled to your opinion but please be respectful. I don't need to make thing up in the Australian investment forum about the HK protest. Also, I don't understand why you always need to present yourself in such an arrogant way. We can have different political views but do you need to point your finger at someone else as " spoilt rotten kids" or "making thing up"?

The protest organiser said there were half a million people and police said there were 100,000. You can pick anything in between the figures to believe but not 3,000.

Have a read
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_1_July_marches#2014_protests

Most people who are occupying Admiralty, cwb and mk are kids born in the 90s, spoilt with iphone6s and ps4s, never worked an honest day in their life, and trying to impose what they think is best for the city?

In the meantime, not everyone in HK shares your view.

http://time.com/3460072/occupy-hong-kong-central-protest-pro-china-backlash/

What a telling picture of what the Occupy Central group comprises of. See the picture of the kids at the image at the bottom.

that's what everyone thought about ukraine, until they started throwing molotovs at police

that's what everyone thought about ukraine, until they started throwing molotovs at police

Hong Kong's pretty different because, as I expected, the citizens are now out in numbers cracking down on the students. Most HK people share my view. The police don't need to do anything.

Of course, we'd never hear this in western media as they gear up for their containment, ahem, "engagement" strategy with China.

l am intrigued that there are actually anti-Occupy protesters out there beating up on the pro-democracy protesters.

They are doing what the governments of HK and China would really like to do - harass and move on the pro-democrats - but cannot officially do.

I have to wonder whether the anti-Occupy protesters are really hired goons of the government.

i'm not a fan of them.

what i'm saying is that whatever comes after them as a result of these fights for freedom is usually 100 times worse

l am intrigued that there are actually anti-Occupy protesters out there beating up on the pro-democracy protesters.

They are doing what the governments of HK and China would really like to do - harass and move on the pro-democrats - but cannot officially do.

I have to wonder whether the anti-Occupy protesters are really hired goons of the government.

Would be interesting to actually see where there coming from , I suspect bused
in from the mainland.

i'm not a fan of them.

what i'm saying is that whatever comes after them as a result of these fights for freedom is usually 100 times worse

In the short term that is invariably true. Life after the French Revolution was hardly a bed of roses either. France had to go through decade after decade of alternating and often brutal government but in the end it's people wanted it strong enough and gained their own freedom.

Democracy is a long game and it's benefits will only really be felt by future generations.

Which is why the sacrifice of those pursuing it today is all the more laudable - and important. It represents the best of humanity when compared to the selfishness of those who currently govern them.

it's hard to be wrong here, it's the same scenario repeated again and again.

1) students protesting, with lots of media coverage and support from certain 'democratic' countries
2) police tries to disperse them
3) things heat up, lots of clashes with police, more people get involved
4) unidentified snipers appear and kill some of the protesters and possibly police
5) the whole 'democratic' world blames it on government and
6) things escalate further and the government gets overthrown
7) radicals come to power and people who thought they were fighting for freedom realise they are in deeper **** than they were.

you can throw in an optional invasion with or without UN support

Providing good quality living is the most important thing for any government, and the HK Government has done that well. Speaking from the perspective of a Hong Kong permanent resident/citizen too mind you.

Living a life of oppression is not living, Deltaberry. Besides having to accept only Beijing-approved candidates for HK govt election, the students can see that their children will not be able to learn their mother tongue, Cantonese, in schools in the future, but will be forced to mostly learn only Mandarin as an official language. Wipe the language out, you wipe the culture and identity out as well. Hong Kong people are majority Cantonese people who migrated from Southern China, Beijing is Northern-centric. But you should know that, you are a Cantonese person, aren't you? :rolleyes:

You have a choice to live or not to live in HK. HK people mostly do not have a choice. You are PR in Australia, but doubtless that you and your family have commercial property both in Melbourne and Hong Kong. Are you afraid that the contagion of protest will threaten your commercial holdings in Hong Kong?

it's hard to be wrong here, it's the same scenario repeated again and again.

1) students protesting, with lots of media coverage and support from certain 'democratic' countries
2) police tries to disperse them
3) things heat up, lots of clashes with police, more people get involved
4) unidentified snipers appear and kill some of the protesters and possibly police
5) the whole 'democratic' world blames it on government and
6) things escalate further and the government gets overthrown
7) radicals come to power and people who thought they were fighting for freedom realise they are in deeper **** than they were.

you can throw in an optional invasion with or without UN support

Strannik, I know you are deeply suspicious of the US and the west, its modus operandi and I think you have some right to be cynical, given some of the recent wars, invasions on the pretext of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) etc etc
but I don't think you understand the history of Hong Kong
Hong Kong is not an independent country and has never been an independent country. It was just a British colony for 100-150 years. During that time, many Southern Chinese from Guang Dong Province or Canton migrated to Hong Kong to eke out a living and seek their fortune. Cantonese speaking Southern Chinese have a distinct language and identity from Northern Chinese who speak Mandarin. Hong Kong people got used to administration by Britain and western style democracy.

But Hong Kong is a now a province of China, a Special Administrative Region (SAR). The British gave up sovereignty of Hong Kong in 1997 to China.
Hong Kong was ceded to Britain after China lost the Opium wars in the mid 1850-1898. The lease on the New Territories ran out in 1997 and Britain sought to return to China not only the New Territories but also Hong Kong Island and Kowloon.

Hong Kong people cannot overthrow the 'government' who are the CCP, the Chinese Communist Party who rule China.

The US/UN cannot invade Hong Kong, that would be tantamount to invading China.

"The demonstrations began late last week in opposition to plans for Chinese officials to vet candidates for elections in Hong Kong, a former British colony handed over to Beijing in 1997. The showdowns soon evolved into an ideological confrontation over whether Western-tilting Hong Kong should retain some degree of autonomy from the central government ? a concession Beijing appears unwilling to make".

Disclaimer: I do not speak Cantonese, am not Cantonese and am not from Hong Kong or China.

Strannik, I know you are deeply suspicious of the US and the west, its modus operandi and I think you have some right to be cynical, given some of the recent wars, invasions on the pretext of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) etc etc
but I don't think you understand the history of Hong Kong".

you are right.

i don't know anything about HK except that they have been rented out to UK for 99 years.

but i've seen the same scenario happen in many countries.
the tragic thing is that most people do actually think they are fighting for freedom.

I'm actually quite happy with Australia. Being such a fan of totalitarian regimes I thought you must want to live under one. Be my guest...

'Benevolent dictatorship'.

Worked so far for both Singapore and Hong Kong.

Pure democracy has not worked so well for some Asian countries, think the Philippines (but then a 'benevolent dictatorship might be even worse for them, lol).

Back