Hope I die before I get old.

I bet my left ### and half my right....If I'm wrong I'll be broke like 99% of the population. But if I'm right I'll be wealthy like the 1%.

So spoke Devo76.

The video may be nine years older than Devo (just a guess) but I am willing to bet that none of The Who just walked out into the surf (or blizzard) on their 40th in spite of their wish expressed in this song. They will have discovered, and so will Devo, that life does not have a "use by".

The concept of the crash through or crash is not new either but as an investment principle it reeks of urgency. I believe only the bone lazy feel the urge to retire 20 years after coming of age. There is a hell of a lotta life and time after this false "maturity" date. Intellectually, possibly the best! so rather than plan for a psychologically bland future by taking excessive risks in your best years, why not plan for more than monetary wealth and allow more time for compounding to work it's magic without that excessive risk?

die before you get old, eh? What's "old"? I suspect you'll keep pushing the goalposts back each year and each decade as you age. Old will always mean something further along the road, behind a bend, out of sight. And so it should. Ageing is another word for "surviving," which is a good thing. It comes down to part luck, part skill.
Ever read any Bukowski?
He wrote seedy, sometimes depressing tales about alcohol and wasted lives.
Anyway, this is from "Women".
When I was young I was depressed all the time. But suicide no longer seemed a possibility in my life. At my age there was very little left to kill. It was good to be old, no matter what they said. It was reasonable that a man had to be at least 50 years old before he could write with anything like clarity. The more rivers you crossed, the more you know about the rivers – that is, if you survived the white water and the hidden rocks. It could be a rough cob, sometimes.

die before you get old, eh? What's "old"? I suspect you'll keep pushing the goalposts back each year and each decade as you age. Old will always mean something further along the road, behind a bend, out of sight. And so it should. Ageing is another word for "surviving," which is a good thing. It comes down to part luck, part skill.
Ever read any Bukowski?
He wrote seedy, sometimes depressing tales about alcohol and wasted lives.
Anyway, this is from "Women".
Yes that's what I meant but you wrote it well, thanks. If there is always more road, another bend what's the point of planning early retirement? Plan to advance, by all means.

And No! I don't read much at all. I wish I could.

I believe only the bone lazy feel the urge to retire 20 years after coming of age. There is a hell of a lotta life and time after this false "maturity" date.

I reckon our opinions diverge on the definition of "retire" Sunfish.

I didn't feel the urge, I did retire at 38. It wasn't from being bone idle lazy I can assure you. It was driven from not wanting to slowly meander up the hill over 50 years, but to sprint up the hill in 20, thereafter freeing myself from the cashflow shackles that my bosses enjoyed rattling every day.

With those chains unleashed, the opportunities for living and doing stuff in retirement broaden immensely. The view from the top of the hill is nice, and all the poor buggers who chose to meander up it when I started at the foot of the hill are still moaning and groaning come Monday morning.

I'm quite looking forward to being in retirement for over 60 years.

In the strictest meaning of the word "to retire" equals stagnation, pausing, death. :( A number of folk who have no planned retirement drop dead not long after they stop work.

I understand the definition that Dazz alludes to and that's the one I also like. It implies choices and opportunities. Retirement (as a word) is so finite to me. One can retire for the night, and hopefully awaken the next morning or one can retire forever and pass on.

As a society since we choose that word to indicate some type of release or freedom from the daily grind, perhaps the nomeclature should be "active retirement".

I see vibrant people in their seventies, eighties and nineties, who whilst having retired from the actual paid workforce, live meaningful, purposeful lives and are happy.

They are respectfully told that ........."at their age they should slow down". That's an insult. None of us need to slow down. We should speed up and maybe calm down. High frequency people attract all sorts of opportunities to themselves.

I intend to die young, at a very old age. ;) Happiness, health, purposeful relationships and then the rest are my core values. Old age is a success in itself :)

So spoke Devo76.

The video may be nine years older than Devo (just a guess) but I am willing to bet that none of The Who just walked out into the surf (or blizzard) on their 40th in spite of their wish expressed in this song. They will have discovered, and so will Devo, that life does not have a "use by".

The concept of the crash through or crash is not new either but as an investment principle it reeks of urgency. I believe only the bone lazy feel the urge to retire 20 years after coming of age. There is a hell of a lotta life and time after this false "maturity" date. Intellectually, possibly the best! so rather than plan for a psychologically bland future by taking excessive risks in your best years, why not plan for more than monetary wealth and allow more time for compounding to work it's magic without that excessive risk?

Im 33 in case your interested. Not old enough to dispise the young ones but old enough to start getting a well rounded picture.
I dont have any dillusions of early wealthy retirement. In fact the idea of stopping work completely scares me. It would be another major life step towards the big pine box. Something im not rushing to.
The fact is i actually love my job. Its exciting,well paid,i travel a lot and it tests me daily. My idea of retirement would be to slow down not stop.Maybe travel a bit for work. or even try something different all together.Although i am an advocate of giving it ago i would not risk everything in the process. This is why my total commitment costs and all for 3 IP.s and a PPOR are actually less than a days pay. I could survive on the dole without selling.
My social life is also great since free flights are the norm. I live for now while planning for all stages of life. I will not be the riches and i will not be the poorest. My life is like my primary school report card.
Mostly B,s
He is a good student and will do well in life but if he put in more effort he could excell.
My parents were happy with this and so am i.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4TRrVu_tQ

Another thread in this category has prompted me to remind you of this, from my youth. 1967!

Listen to it first and I'll explain later. :p
Once you get over 50 you start to look at things a bit different i know i did,and it does not seems that along ago the 1970's they made some good music "The Who",being retired is nothing special i have that way for over 10 years now all it does is open a whole lot of new doors most of my mates from the auctions are in the 60-75 range and most have young Asian:rolleyes: Ladies that handle the money and do the paperwork so age is not a worry to them..willair..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygOaNo3M_Hw

My gameplan is to 'retire' in 9 years. By this i mean I will be in a position where I do not have to work but I can choose to.

I am currently studying for a Phd and the plan is to finish that then get a job as a lecturer/academic. Should all tie in nicely with the retirement date.

I don't like the concept retire.

Employees eventually become redundant to fulfill paye employment.
The self employed often don't have the health to continue.

We all age. There's no getting around it. The wise adapt, and build skills or change career, to remain 'relevant' in society.

Relevant to me means playing a role in furthering the forward march of humanity and self. That might be becoming a more efficient allocator of capital (better investment), doing community service, taking time out traveling the world on a process of personal growth and broader vision.

I am very partial to the Chinese custom of revering the elderly, as long as the elderly care enough about others to give something back.

There's nothing less magnetic than an old selfish person.
Young people can be excused to a degree for being naive and selfish, but not the old.

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Retirement, to me, is about the choice of working or not. 'Having' to work is not what I want. FWIW, I quite like my job. I'd just like to have a few months off every year for travel.

Back