Hornsby Council LEP/DCP and Subdivision

Hi team,

I'm starting to look for Duplex land anywhere in the Hornsby Shire LGA and just want to make sure I'm understanding the LEP/DCP correctly regarding subdivision of the Duplex/MUH on completion.

It is my understanding that you can build multi-unit housing in Residential A (where I'll be looking) as long the amount of dwellings does not exceed 1 per 350Sqm. However, the minimum lot size to subdivide the Duplex/MUH would be 500Sqm (excluding accessway, does this mean driveways or common access ie BattleAxe?), meaning I would need at least 1000sqm total land if I wanted to subdivide? Or do I need more than this because of driveways/accessway?

The floorspace ratio is listed as 0:4:1 and site coverage is 40%.

Does this mean I have a building envelope of 400sqm and the maximum building size (all floors) is 400sqm? Excluding garages. Seems pretty reasonable.

Obviously there is alot more to the LEP/DCP and I have a checklist of items to check and will get a proper feasibility done by an architect/planner before purchasing anything.

Full location of the documents is - http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/planningdevelopment/index.cfm?NavigationID=225 but I have extracted the relevant parts.

I have extracted the relevant components -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) If a subdivision creates an allotment wholly within one of the zones specified in the table below, the allotment must have at least the minimum area set by the table for an allotment in the zone. If a subdivision creates an allotment parts of which are within different zones, at least one of which is a zone specified in the table below, the allotment must include at least so much land within a zone specified in the table as is the minimum area set by the table for an allotment in the zone. In calculating the area of a battle-axe or hatchet shaped allotment, the area of any accessway, right of carriageway or the like is to be excluded.

Residential A (Low Density) - 500m2 (I cropped out the remaining zones)

Multi-unit housing

(3) Regardless of subclause (2), the Council may consent to the development of land for the purpose of multi-unit housing, but only where the Council is satisfied that the development will result in a density not greater than:

(a) one dwelling per 350m2 within the Residential A, AA, AM, or AT zone, exclusive of any accessway, rights of carriageway and public or private roads, or

(b) one dwelling per 400m2 within the Residential AS zone, exclusive of any accessway, rights of carriageway and public or private roads.

(4) Land within the Residential A, AA, AM, AS or AT zone on which dwellings comprising multi-unit housing are situated may be subdivided for the purpose of creating separate land titles for dwellings only if the subdivision complies with subclause (2). The separate occupation of the proposed lots illustrated by a proposed strata plan relating to multi-unit housing situated on any such land is prohibited.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,

Grimey

Last time I looked at this, you need minimum 1000m2 to create Torrens in Kuringai which am assuming Hornsby will be the same but there are local builders/developers who have been on to this for years - even through GFC so if theres anything around, you can be sure that its not the "deal of the century" but nevertheless still money in it.

If you need a builder, find the architect and they will recommend the local builders. All local builder will be able to handle slopes. It all comes down to money anyway. Good luck.

Does anyone know in Hornsby if you can strata a duplex rather than subdivide, allowing duplex builds < 1000sqm? I've seen this mentioned in other threads but not sure if it's an option at Hornsby Council. I've gone through their DCP/LEP and can't find information on it.

Thanks,

Grimey

would be torrens title rather than strata. We sold a property in Hornsby last year that had a DA approved for 3 free-standing townhouses on 711sqm. Was zoned as 2B.

Back