Hot Water Relief Valve

I have a four rental property's and one maintenance issue that seems to come up frequently is Hot Water Systems (HWS). I have had to cough up a bit of money due to HWS stop working. On my electric HWS the element corroded which caused it to stop heating, the sacrificial anode had completely been eaten away. I have since started a maintenance log where I change the sacrificial anodes every 5 years. One of my property's hot water relief valve seized after 4.5years also. You are meant to replace these every 5 years but Ive done a bit of research and some people say they will last 10 years.
They are not cheap so have decided to replace them every 10 years when I replace the anodes every second time.
What's other people experience with having to replace hot water relief valves, is 10 years to long?

HWS generally have a life of about ten years anyway, anything beyond that is a bonus. Replace your relief valve at the recommended time (if you feel the need), use the relief valve regularly (that's what it is there for).

Sacrificial anodes are just that, to be sacrificed and replaced - better to undertake preventative maintenance than to have an emergency call out.

supposedly the HWS can explode if the relief valve fails or seizes up. Can't say i have ever herd of this happening though.
I replace every 5 years along with the anode, properly maintained HWS should last decades, be sure to bleed the valve every 6 months or when you do an inspection.

Back