Hot water system

Tentant has advised that water in the shower does not stay at the same temperature and is always adjusting taps.

My question is does anyone have a rough idea how much it will cost to fix the problem. We will get a plumber to look at it, but I'm impatient and would like to know roughly what to expect in costs.

Hey there, don't you just love IP's, over the last three years I have replaced 4 hot water systems in IP's. I replaced them with instantaneous gas hot water which has meant an up grade of the gas lines as they require a bigger feed. The units themselves cost between $900 - 1200 then it was a further $800 to have installed by a plumber. So at worst it could cost you around $2000 that's the bad news. (these are long term investments obviously)

I would first know what the brand and model it is and the age of the system. "Google it" and see if there is any prob's, call the manufacturer and ask what the problem might be, you might get the answer fairly quickly and no $$. Yay

A plumbers first call out would prob be around $150-180 to look at it then parts, if it is electric you may also need a sparky to disconnect power that could be as much as $100.

Hope that helps. :)

Tentant has advised that water in the shower does not stay at the same temperature and is always adjusting taps.

My question is does anyone have a rough idea how much it will cost to fix the problem. We will get a plumber to look at it, but I'm impatient and would like to know roughly what to expect in costs.

It might be just a matter of new taps/washers.
When some types get old the spindle can easily turn themselves so the pressure
is changed without the operator doing anything.

I'd be paying $60 bucks and buying s new tap set first.

Is it a gravity fed system?

They're known to do this and there isn't a lot you can do but replace the system, if that's what's playing up.

Is it a gravity fed system?

They're known to do this and there isn't a lot you can do but replace the system, if that's what's playing up.

Hi Lil Skater

Utter rubbish, hope you don`t give this type of advice to your landlords, you would have them wasting hundreds or thousands of dollars.

If it`s a gravity fed system you can buy a plastic flow reducer that fits into the seat of the cold tap and allows for a more balanced flow between the hot and cold water stopping the temperature fluctuating.

Would cost about 50 cents.

If it`s a mains pressure unit it may have the wrong type of washer in the hot tap which expands as the hot water heats it cutting the flow of hot water, as the flow reduces the washer then contracts.

The cost of a new washer 20 cents.

Getting a plumber out to do this will cost, but you are paying for his time and
knowledge.

Cheers

Pete

Well excuse me Pete, but do I look like a plumber to you? No.

What I have been told is that a gravity fed system cannot really be regulated and the only way to actually fix it changing temperature is to replace it, but in the case of a gravity fed HWS we don't recommend you replace it if it's not broken.

I don't see why the he'll you'd think I'd tell someone to spend $1.5k on something that isn't broken.

Well excuse me Pete, but do I look like a plumber to you? No.

What I have been told is that a gravity fed system cannot really be regulated and the only way to actually fix it changing temperature is to replace it, but in the case of a gravity fed HWS we don't recommend you replace it if it's not broken.

I don't see why the he'll you'd think I'd tell someone to spend $1.5k on something that isn't broken.

Well Lil Skater I don`t know what you look like nor do I care but you are quite happy act like a plumber and hand out plumbing advice which you not qualified to do and obviously know very little about.

The reason why the he,ll I think you would tell someone to replace the unit is because you actually did tell the OP to do this as per your quote below

Quote Lil Skater "Is it a gravity fed system?

They're known to do this and there isn't a lot you can do but replace the system, if that's what's playing up." Unquote

Pickle Pickle. If the unit is gravity fed there is a lot you can do, just spend 50 cents on the flow reduction valve.

Cheers

Pete

I spoke to my cousin who is a plumber. While he said it could be a number of things he seems to believe that I won't need to replace the hot water system as it's a fault that wouldn't cause the hot water system to be replaced.

Most likely cause are repalcing the taps or a valve.

Naturally I was just posting what I have had experience with.

Obviously I would refer my clients to a qualified plumber.

There's no need to be rude, you can tell someone they're wrong without being rude.

Last week, the old hot system in my IP was leaking. I sent plumber who charged $75 for call out fee. He found that it was apparently uneconomical to repair, so was told to replace the whole unit. I paid another $770 incl GST for the plumer to remove old one, buying the new one (electric 80ltr) and installing the new one.

Total bill $845 ouch.

I spoke to my cousin who is a plumber. While he said it could be a number of things he seems to believe that I won't need to replace the hot water system as it's a fault that wouldn't cause the hot water system to be replaced.

Most likely cause are repalcing the taps or a valve.

Hi pckle pickle

Good news.

Cheers

Pete

Back