Hot Water System

as my HWS is getting pretty old im looking ahead at what i would want to get to replace it when it does stop working.

looking at the heat pumps they dont recommend them to rec zone 4 areas and as the GF has one and it has broken down multiple times and when it is working seems to be running constantly i dont really want one of them.
http://www.energymatters.com.au/renewable-energy/solar-power/solar-hot-water/solar-heat-pumps.php

other than that i dont have gas mains so no point looking at gas as by the time you hire/buy a bottle you might aswell just use electricity as you still have to pay the supply charge

so really theres solar hot water or back to the standard electric HWS
im thinking if i had solar panels i would then just have an electric HWS and have it running during the day to use the power generated by the solar panels rather than get paid a measly FIT for the power generated

thoughts?

Have just replaced a troublesome Rheem heatpump with a standard elect hotwater system.
Will not go down that road again.

I just got a solar hot water system for $1500 off of ebay 315L tank conenergy. Am yet to install it at the IP, but the setup looks pretty decent. I'll let you know how it goes.

As for electric solar panel to power an electric hot water system. I'm not too sure about your reasoning for that. Firstly your elec hot water system is off peak, so it will be running at night...when your solar pannels aren't working so technically you'll still be running the hot water system from the grid. Secondly a solar system of about 1.5kw is needed to offset a hot water system. Factoring in that 1.5KW produces enough for about 1/3 of your power bill and a hot water system takes up about 1/3 of your power bill, at least this is what I've found. So why waste an expensive electric solar system on hot water when you can pay less and just get a solar hot water system?

Is a 'solar hot water system' better value than 'gas hot water system'? Does anyone has number calculations on it?

No numbers but I have solar with off peak booster.

I believe solar is fine if you can face the heating cells towards Nth or Nth east. Ours is more westerly facing (Gold Coast), services 3 people & 2 dogs, but just holds its own, booster on in winter. My sister has one facing Nth in NZ and says 'what's a booster?'. Position makes a significant difference.

Just my experience.

Back