Hot water unit in main bedroom wardrobe.

Hi everyone, I have a question about where the hot water unit in my OTP property has been placed. It's in the main bedroom wardrobe which and has almost halved it's size. Behind the bedroom is the bathroom so it's close and easy which is obviously why they put it there.
Being an apartment with not much storage space I really do think it should have been placed outside. We have an undercover area outside the main bedroom which is where I believe it should have gone. I only discovered this yesterday and wasn't to happy but didn't push it however the more I think about it the more annoyed I get. I'm meeting the builder tomorrow about another matter and will bring it up again. What options do I have if any?

Last edited:
Like it wasn't shown on the plans?

Where's everyone else's hwu located? On balconies? Laundry?

Have the developer replace it with an instantaneous hwu outside - mind that it might not be possible due to the way the plumbing and power have been installed.

Its a terrible spot to have it installed. Not practical from an ower's storage perspective. I think you will find it will cost you to have it relocated though as OTP contracts are written in favour of the builder. Yet another reason to steer clear of OTP.

Hi Scott
I have looked at the plans and it doesn't show anywhere. I don't know where the other apartments have theirs as I haven't got access to look. You may be right in that it may not have been possible to put it elsewhere.
We only have electricity no gas so an instantaneous HWU won't be an option. :(
edit - looks like electric instantaneous HWU are available. Always assumed they where gas.

Hi Rixter, yes it's terrible and my wife was fuming. It's something we hadn't thought about so the question was never asked. We made the kitchen bigger, we changed the bathroom from two entry points to one so we could add a lined cupboard but no thought on the hotwater service. I will talk to the builder and if it's possible to move it I will get it moved and maybe we can strike a deal on costs.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's dopey. Lazy builder/developer. They will be hoping you don't make a fuss. Still, it will help keep the bedroom warm in the winter. You be able to use the wardrobe as a drying room.

Yeah, it's dopey. Lazy builder/developer. They will be hoping you don't make a fuss. Still, it will help keep the bedroom warm in the winter. You be able to use the wardrobe as a drying room.

He may be hoping I don't make a fuss but it's my wife he has to hear tomorrow.
At the end of the day its something I should have been aware of so if it costs me a few $$ I'll wear it and learn from it.
Good to know others think its just a stupid spot.

I can imagine the conversation, 'Hey, we forgot to leave a spot for the hot water.'
'I know. Let's put it in the wardrobe. Maybe they won't notice.'

I can imagine the conversation, 'Hey, we forgot to leave a spot for the hot water.'
'I know. Let's put it in the wardrobe. Maybe they won't notice.'

Maybe they thought as an investor I would care. Apparently 2/3 of the apartments were sold to investors.

I just spoke to the builder and he told me tomorrow we can talk about it and see what options we have then he'll talk to the plumber on Monday.
He says he's there to make everyone happy so fingers crossed.

That's an absolute disgrace.... Having an apt or unit you already have limited storage and space, and if those were the plans not showing the service I would do my best to get this rectified..

For long term maintenance, those storage systems are not too great. Also, they tend to leak at lot when they develop a fault (from experience of mine). I am glad mine was outside. It leaked a lot of water when it needed repairing. I just paid for it to be removed and replaced with an instant gas unit. It's much smaller and maintenance free so far. I think the storage system was less than 10 years old when it failed. I know the instant gas at my rental is over 20 years old and still going strong.

Gas is not an option in many developments.
Oh yeah, oops. I missed that it was electric. Still, even electric storage systems are likely to have a sacrificial anode. That is the part that failed on mine and caused the system to break down.

Every type of hot water storage tank that is manufactured from steel with a vitreous enamel lining comes complete with a sacrificial anode installed. These tanks are electric, gas, solar and heat pump hot water storage systems manufactured by Rheem, Dux, Vulcan, Quantum, Solahart, Aquamax, Everhot, Rinnai, Radiant, Stiebel Eltron, Saxon, Beasley, Conergy plus many other tanks that are privately labeled.

The sacrificial anode tends to have a life expectancy equal to the warranty period of your hot water storage tank.
http://www.sprinthotwater.com.au/anode-replacement.html

There is regular and ongoing maintenance of these systems that most people don't know about:

Recommended service is as follows:
?The tempering valve requires replacement every 5 years
?Temperature Pressure Relief valve requires replacement every 5 years
?Anode requires inspection or replacement every 5 years

We recommend the above checks and maintenance be carried out by a qualified professional.

One aspect of hot water system maintenance that you should carry out yourself is checking the correct operation of the Temperature Pressure Relief Valve every 6 months. Correctly operating TPR valves should prevent hot water heater cylinders failing or exploding.

To check the TPR valve (located at top of heater ? check the side of your hot water heater or user manual for more details), lift the lever for 10 seconds. Water should flow from relief pipe at the bottom of the tank. When you release the lever water flow should stop. This indicates correct operation of the TPR valve.
http://www.gladesvilleplumbing.com.au/hints-tips

Water flowing from the bottom of the tank is a bit of a worry if the tank is installed inside! In any case, you should check your user manual as these may not apply to your system.

Water flowing from the bottom of the tank is a bit of a worry if the tank is installed inside!
That is why it is sitting in a safe tray connected to the sewer. I would be more annoyed that they haven't built your wall and door as per the plan.

Tools

Thanks to everyone for the replies. This is a great site and you all make it what it is.
I have met the builder and things are staying as they are.
All the apartments have the hot water units in bedroom wardrobes. I told him that's fine when there are no options but in my case I have a large courtyard so better planing should have been used. In the end it was something I will have to pay for if I want it moved.
To do it properly the wardrobe back plaster wall has to be removed so the plumbing can be hidden behind it which is costly. The heater is an indoor model so a new unit will need to be purchased which is costly and then where do I put it!.
Outside the main bedroom which is ideal there is the split aircon so that's a no go and to the side of the apartment there is a solid concrete wall so another no go. In reality if I want to pay anything can be done it's just not worth the high cost.
He told me that they build all their apartments like that and never had an issue. The hot water units are made for indoors and don't produce much if any heat (his words) and with the tray any leaks are maintained and water escapes down a pipe.
I told him I'm not happy, it's an eyesore and it should never have been put there when a courtyard is available. They should of made better use of it by placing such things like hot water units outside not inside.
In the end he has no obligation to remove it at his expense so it'll be my cost and it will be to much $$. I asked about the linen closet not being as per the plans and was told it's due to internal pipe/pipes from upstairs running in the wall cavity between the wardrobe and linen closet.
BTW my angry wife was no help!!
If anyone is planning OTP I hope this thread helps and ask the question I didn't ask "where is the hot water unit going to go"

Back