Hotel/Accommodation Budget

Was watching an interesting show on the The Taj Mahal Palace and Tower, Mumbai, where guests pay anywhere from 2,000-9,000 pounds per night.
Guests are privy to what they call their own "Boy Friday", who basically looks after all their little needs. Seems very strange to think this is India, yet such wealth.

http://couponhub.in/5-most-expensive-hotels-in-india/

Got me thinking, the most I have ever spent on accommodation when travelling was $450 per night and I thought that was extravagant.

What is the most you have spent on accommodation when travelling??

MTR:)

One year Mark's employers lost his leave application and he only got his leave approved two weeks prior to the school holidays. It was too late to do what we had really wanted to do, so we got a houseboat instead. Pity there was only one boat left available - it was at least 40feet long and cost $2200 for five nights.

I've done lots of stupid.

The winner by a long way was the Peninsula, Hong Kong. $10,000 for 3 nights. Spent $1200 on dinner for two (wine) at Aqua too.

Managed to score the penthouse on top of the Four Seasons hotel in Sydney for the 1999/2000 NYE plus days before and after all up I think we had the penthouse for just over 7 days.

This is actually privately owned and is not part of the hotel.

The floor below that is part of the hotel has the Presidential Suite and is the same size as the Penthouse except that the penthouse was stretched along the East side of the building.

The presidential suite currently listed at $5819 per night.

We rented the Penthouse for $3000 plus a $5k security deposit. One of the reasons that I managed to get a huge discount was that it was not extensicvely furnised and a bit tired and worn and I persuaded the leasing agent that I needed the extra time to fix it up.

http://www.fourseasons.com/sydney/accommodations/suites/presidential_suite/

Very memorable week spent in Sydney CBD

Cheers

That is an amazing deal, how did you manage this

There was a deal advertised online and it was a mystery hotel. There were clues given but the name of the hotel wasn't stated. I booked as I was able to figure out the hotel from the clues. This is reasonably common in the US and a good way to save money. We had a basic, cheap room booked. When I got to the hotel, I asked about upgrades and for $20 was able to jump a few room categories :)

Lucky to have spent 3 nights at Burj Al Arab Jumeirah in Dubai with the family in a 2 bedroom suite as a thank you from a client.

Nearly died when we checked the price - $6,900 a night.:eek:

Truly the best hotel we have stayed in.

Having said that, one holiday we went from a suite in the Four Seasons to a 3 star motel in Katoomba and the kids enjoyed the motel more as they could jump from bed to bed without touching the ground and there was a chocolate cafe right behind.

Its all about the experience and service.

Last edited:
The most I've ever spent on accom was when I was traveling for work and stayed at the Crown in Melbourne, but that was on the corporate card so I didn't have to fork out the money and really not that expensive in the scheme of things.

Otherwise, not sure of the exact amount but I consider >$200p/n expensive and can't recall a time where I have paid that much for accom.

There was a deal advertised online and it was a mystery hotel. There were clues given but the name of the hotel wasn't stated. I booked as I was able to figure out the hotel from the clues. This is reasonably common in the US and a good way to save money. We had a basic, cheap room booked. When I got to the hotel, I asked about upgrades and for $20 was able to jump a few room categories :)

We have done this several times in Canada...using priceline.com

Spent $12 000 on a week in Vegas when I was 23. This was accom/food/partying at Hard Rock Hotel and various other venues. Rehab party day-bed in VIP section, private lounges at nightclubs and so on.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'll happily fork out for business class air fares. But not for 'luxury' accommodation - it's just a place to sleep. I'm not going to stay at the YMCA, but wouldn't want to normally pay much more than a couple of hundred a night.

Back