Hotspotting NATIONAL TOP 10 boomtowns

This can be a test of how well somersofters know their towns.

From this web-site

http://www.hotspotting.com.au/samples/_sample_natm1.pdf

or if its all too hard buy the report at
http://www.hotspotting.com.au/?act=viewProd&productId=28

I would like to reach a consensus on which are the top 10 boom towns referred to. Living in NSW I've answered number 4. If you put details of a town it would help if you provide supporting evidence i.e. links to newspapaer articles

NATIONAL TOP 10
BOOM TOWN HOTSPOTS

1.Mining Town, Western Australia with
New gold mine, new rail link.

2.Sea Change town, Queensland
Proximity to coal mining area, new infrastructure.

3.Mining Town,South Australia
Planned iron ore mine, new transport infrastructure.

4.Regional City, New South Wales
New coal mines, new power station.

5.Growth Region, Western Australia
Harbour development, link with new minesin the region.

6. Sea Change town, Western Australia
Link with nearby mining areas, expanded port facility.

7. Mining town, Northern Territory
Iron ore discovery, new rail link.

8. Regional centre, Western Australia
Links to major mining region, new port facilities, Sea Change.

9. Mining Town, South Australia
Expansion of existing mining operations.

10. Mining Town, Queensland
Extensive mining operations within 50km,
new pipeline, shortage of accommodation.

My guesses:-

4.Regional City, New South Wales
New coal mines, new power station.
Muswellbrook?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/09/13/2031817.htm

Muswellbrook Mayor backs power station plan
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:00pm AEST

Map: Muswellbrook 2333
Muswellbrook Mayor John Colvin says a third coal-fired power station proposed for the New South Wales Upper Hunter would be a win for local jobs.

In its submission to the Owen inquiry on future energy needs, Macquarie Generation said its proposed Bayswater Two power station, near Muswellbrook, is the best option to meet power shortfalls in the state.

The multi-billion dollar plant would use the existing skills base in the region and low emission technology to limits its effect on the environment.

Councillor Colvin says it is an exciting proposal.

"The investment possibilities are very, very high, as are the job possibilities," he said.

"I imagine any new power station would in fact be far more environmentally friendly than the last generation of power stations that we've all been used to."

Also

http://muswellbrook.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/home-boom-town/177935.aspx

10. Wandoan?
Wandoan, where the typical house price is $160,000, is earmarked for a $1 billion Xstrata
open-cut coal mine and $1 billion missing-link rail line between the Surat Basin and Gladstone.

$209,000
WANDOAN
Amongst respected researcher Terry Ryder's National Top 10 Hots Spot for 2008,Wandoan is the only one in QLD in the list, due to Xstrata's $1 billion future investment in the area & the linkage rail go through it. This 4 bedroom home is on 860m2 block with air-conditioning, closing to schools . It's arguably the cheapest available in the whole area. Act now, don't miss out this rare opportunity.

Address: 6 Mundell Street, Wandoan
Price:Asking $209,000
Inspection: By Appointment

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=81728507&s=qld&snf=ras&tm=1219907801

Last edited:
My guesses:

1.Mining Town, Western Australia with New gold mine, new rail link.

* A toss up between Telfer or Boddington (both small/obscure towns) but I'd pick Boddington.

5.Growth Region, Western Australia
Harbour development, link with new minesin the region.

* Bunbury? Mines at Capel, Greenbushes, Boddington, Collie. Been the fastest growing regional city outside the Perth region for 20+ years.

6. Sea Change town, Western Australia
Link with nearby mining areas, expanded port facility.

* Esperance or Albany. Esperance nearer to mining but Albany is more sea-change. I'd say Albany.

8. Regional centre, Western Australia
Links to major mining region, new port facilities, Sea Change.

* Geraldton. Sea change is at nearby Dongara. Existing Port deepened. Proposed Oakejee Port. Inland iron ore mines. It could also the place likely to be the 'boom town' here http://www.hotspotting.com.au/samples/_sample_natm1.pdf . All points can be verified except for the oil refinery - the only one I know of in WA is at Kwinana (SOUTH of Perth).

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
And the answers have already been published by the Courier Mail, I think its the same question although the list seems a bit different?

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24237080-5015825,00.html

THE HOT SPOTS

Ballina-Yamba, NSW
Typical prices: $380,000 - $405,000

Bowen Hills, QLD
Typical prices: $395,000 - $490,000

Ceduna, SA
Typical prices: $185,000

Chippendale, NSW
Typical prices: $375,000 - $650,000

Geraldton, WA
Typical prices: $340,000

Gippsland: Latrobe Valley, VIC
Typical prices: $130,000 - $235,000

Gippsland: Lakes Region, VIC
Typical prices: $205,000 - $260,000

Hervey Bay, QLD
Typical prices: $295,000 - $385,000

Magnetic Island, QLD
Typical prices: $340,000 - $457,000

Surf Coast, VIC.
Typical prices: $435,000 - $700,000
Source: Hotspotting.com.au. Locations are listed alphabetically.

Close but no cigar

Towns that have probably already peaked include Beerwah in Queensland, Coburg in Victoria, Christies Beach in South Australia, Dandenong in Victoria, Footscray in Victoria, Gatton in Queensland, Ipswich in Queensland, Port Adelaide in South Australia and Tweed Shire in New South Wales.

“These are locations that would have been strong candidates for super hotspots a year or two ago but have delivered considerable growth since and the best time to buy has now passed,” Mr Ryder said.

Interesting to note that Magnetic Island was included in this report as one of the stronger hotspots. Apartments on the island have dropped in value since this report came out

oh who would of thought herveybay would come up

then someone by all the sub 300k houses in toogoom

or make me an offer for my 5 bedder lol

:rolleyes:

I was about to guess Geraldton as number 5. That harbour development is the Oakajee (sp?) deep water port development. Geraldton just keeps going gangbusters. Wish I'd picked up a couple of massively CF+ free standing houses there a couple of years back for under $100K when Karina tipped it. Went to buy two but the missus talked me out of it because "we hadn't personally inspected them".

Ah well, she lets me do the investing now...

Cheers,
Michael

Hi, there'a huge difference between Ceduna & Christies Bch & Port Adelaide. Ceduna is a town 'in the sticks', many hours of driving from Adelaide which has 1.5 of the 2M people in the entire state of SA.

Christies Bch & Port Adelaide are part of suburban Adelaide, not even greater Adelaide which includes the Hills such as Mt Barker, Nairne & etc.

The train takes 15 mins from the city to Port Adelaide & 35 mins to Christies Bch.

KY

I was about to guess Geraldton as number 5. That harbour development is the Oakajee (sp?) deep water port development. Geraldton just keeps going gangbusters. Wish I'd picked up a couple of massively CF+ free standing houses there a couple of years back for under $100K when Karina tipped it. Went to buy two but the missus talked me out of it because "we hadn't personally inspected them".

Geraldton qualifies as 5, 6 or 8 IMHO.

Given there's not many big WA coastal towns with ports and sea change (Albany, Bunbury, Geraldton, Esperance) the list might well have said 'any large WA coastal town'.

No. 2 Would most likely be Emu Park/Yeppoon. Or maybe Gladstone itself, but it's not really a sea change town.

It boomed in a big way when the CH/Bowen Basin took off a couple of years back.

I would have pegged 3 as Roxby Downs and 9 as Whyalla. There's no mining in Ceduna I thought, last time I was there it was all oysters ...

Ceduna is a very long way from anywhere, maybe 7 hours from Adelaide. Whyalla is 3-4 hours from Adelaide, I live about 2 hours from Adelaide. The thing about South Australia is there are so few towns with more than 5000 people, and only one with more than 50,000. The biggest towns outside Adelaide are all quite close to it.

If that is true about Wandoan, I really should have bought that house for $16,000 back in 2006. Was kicking myself at the time for not acting, and am kicking myself now. Needed about $10K of work. I guess I still haven't learned my lesson about picking up bargains. :mad:

No.3 maybe Port Lincoln, SA. Centrex could be the hematite mine referenced - new infrastructure such as new rail sidings and bulk loading facilities is being proposed.

Before anyone gets enthusiastic about its prospects, many fishermen are losing their jobs over new fishing restrictions and tighter quotas, so it probably balances out any job/housing optimism over the proposed mining jobs.

I think property market there is currently flat as a tack.

And the answers have already been published by the Courier Mail, I think its the same question although the list seems a bit different?

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24237080-5015825,00.html

THE HOT SPOTS

Ballina-Yamba, NSW
Typical prices: $380,000 - $405,000

Bowen Hills, QLD
Typical prices: $395,000 - $490,000

Ceduna, SA

Typical prices: $185,000

Chippendale, NSW
Typical prices: $375,000 - $650,000

Geraldton, WA
Typical prices: $340,000

Gippsland: Latrobe Valley, VIC
Typical prices: $130,000 - $235,000

Gippsland: Lakes Region, VIC
Typical prices: $205,000 - $260,000

Hervey Bay, QLD
Typical prices: $295,000 - $385,000

Magnetic Island, QLD
Typical prices: $340,000 - $457,000

Surf Coast, VIC.
Typical prices: $435,000 - $700,000
Source: Hotspotting.com.au. Locations are listed alphabetically.

Close but no cigar

Towns that have probably already peaked include Beerwah in Queensland, Coburg in Victoria, Christies Beach in South Australia, Dandenong in Victoria, Footscray in Victoria, Gatton in Queensland, Ipswich in Queensland, Port Adelaide in South Australia and Tweed Shire in New South Wales.

“These are locations that would have been strong candidates for super hotspots a year or two ago but have delivered considerable growth since and the best time to buy has now passed,” Mr Ryder said.

why are you still guessing you can already see the results

and hervey bay is one again and no one still wants my undervalue 5 bedder :-(

Last edited:
why are you still guessing you can already see the results

and hervey bay is one again and no one still wants my undervalue 5 bedder :-(

The market obviously believes its overvalued.

If not, I would assume it would have been snapped up.

Cheers

Rooster

James W

James looks like alot has been sold on Oregan creek road lately might be dragging the market there down - looks like 3 bedders for $240-280k.

James looks like alot has been sold on Oregan creek road lately might be dragging the market there down - looks like 3 bedders for $240-280k.

depends where abouts on oregan ck road

http://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...oom,+qld+4655/list-1?includeSurrounding=false

ours is a 5 bedder and alot bigger then that 3 bed green crest home
got a few bites this week mate fingers crossed.

things like this

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-toogoom-106057473

really annoy me though that house has been sold for almost 2 years GRR

Back