Hourly costs of tradesmen ?

Just wondering what a reasonable hourly price range is for good general purpose handymen who can do things like painting, tiling the kitchen etc. There was a guy asking for $240 per day - does that sound reasonable ?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit high to me, try shopping around on the internet for prices, pretty sure you'll get someone for less than that.

Ian

$240 per day, assuming a 8 hour day equals $30 per hour. When you consider that they have to take out tax, insurance, fuel, tools, etc it appears to be extremely cheap. What is the quality of work like?

Boods

Just wondering what a reasonable hourly price range is for good general purpose handymen who can do things like painting, tiling the kitchen etc. There was a guy asking for $240 per day - does that sound reasonable ?
Thanks.
When you look at lawn mowing small business people ,who sometimes only earn $40.00,,per job,and maybe work 1.5 hours to earn the 40 bucks per job, less-travel-insurance-petrol 2 stroke oil-wipper snipper cord,mobile phone costs, your handyman for 30 bucks with a few tools,and you supply the materials is making good money for labour only,all depends if he has insurance and his workmanship..imho willair..

Thanks.

If the handyman has no qualifications then $30.00 per hour seems fair.

In my experience if you are employing qualified tradesmen then their rates will be higher.

Subcontract carpenter & painter rates $65 per hour, their employees are generally charged out at $45 per hour.

Floor tilers $45 per square metre (supplying own glue, sand, cement, & grout).

Regards, Sheryn

My partner is a qualified plumber and runs a plumbing/handyman business in inner Melbourne. He does stacks of work for real estate agents and for private home owners. He charges $40-$45 per hour for handyman work, more for plumbing (about $60, I think, but not entirely sure). He's flat out, never has to advertise and put on two staff at the end of last year, so I think the rate/quality of work equation is working for him.
Just a guideline, :)

Thanks everyone. That $240 is starting to look cheap ! My relative knows the tradesman, and has seen his work. I don't think the guy is formally qualified, but has experience, and the work quality is good enough from what I can gather.

Cheap. I didn't work out the rates of the last 'proper' handyman we had round, it was even less than that though. As described above, he was from a cheap area, been doing it for ages and had all his own tools so he was still making money. We charge $20ph for work (not handyman work) because we can, and we tend to pay $20ph for cash in hand handyman work too.

I'm getting more used to $2000ish per day, having paid this twice now (they like to quote around $1700-1800 sans gst so the bill surprises you). $140ph* on the invoice. Nasty. Remind me to stop needing plumbers.

*both times it has been more than one person there at once, plus machinery hire so it is justified

I got a quote from a plumber $87.50 per hour (I said seeya)
but the guy I ended up getting was not much better $65 per hour then with parts the bill was $1200 for a 7 hour day, i worked it out he added 300% on materials supplied.

I now have a new plumber $40 per hour which is cheap but he tryed to do things in roundabout ways so he works for longer, so we argued for a couple of hours then he worked out I will not back down and I know a bit about plumbing, so he sped his work up and done things correctly my electritian is the same but I pay him $65 per hour, he will not have him work for me again, i dont mind paying $65 p/h but the job needs to get done the fastest way possible, there like a taxi driver, if you don't know your way they will take you the long way.

I now have a new handyman and he's good at everything he's done so far and he charges $40 p/h but its well worth it
he could charge me $60 and I would still hire him as he works for his money and he doesn't muck around and he does things the quickist way possible but still doing a top job as he is a perfectionist.

I got a quote from a plumber $87.50 per hour (I said seeya)
but the guy I ended up getting was not much better $65 per hour then with parts the bill was $1200 for a 7 hour day, i worked it out he added 300% on materials supplied.

Most plumbers in Brisbane would not work for under $80-90 per hour
and that depends on the area,and once you take all the running costs
insurance-worker comp-super-mobile -yellow pages add-truck-bobcat
trench diggers ect,there is not a lot of money left after all the above is paided,plus it takes up to 6 years from the start of the apprentership
till you can work as a "Lic"plumber,the person that taught me the trade
use to say one thing all the,I'm not a prostitute,why sell yourself for nothing.willair..
BTW,how do you work the 300% out,on bunnings prices lol....

we charge out rate for our boys , qualified at $47 hr, we have a $150 first two hour minimum, and still the till seems dry some times, i go in at $100 hr but my quals as a lice builder,
handy man , i would expect $30 but many issues with most, NOT ALL !
and our yonger ones nill quals at $22 all with respect of there quals, and time spent learning the correct way to attend the project, AND WHY? they do it this way,
The handy man will not know why they are doing somthing, its a major factor in construction, it divides men from boys,

I worked out many years ago not to work on hourly rate.
Only quotes,people don't seem to mind paying you as much?
You will never get me on hourly rate NEVER

I've always wondered why the cost of extensions in this country are so high.

tradesmen are very well paid in this country and we pay 2 to 3 times for products compared to our counterparts in the UK and US. when i look at what we pay for some products in this country it is unbelievable the mark up. I use to pay $36 for my hair gel at the hair dresser until i discovered it at target in the US for $10 for example.

I thought licensed tradies were expensive, until I found accountants, even the mostly unethical, wealth hazardous FPs with miniscule training, all wanted $250 - 400 an hour !

Last edited:
Back