House and Land Package Extra Costs??

Hi
I am looking at purchasing a new PPOR in the next 12 mths and am tossing up between established home and building a new one.
My question is: there appear to be some very affordable house and land packages available, but what extra costs need to be factored in (e.g. fencing, driveways, landscaping, service connections etc.).
I live in regional Vic (Horsham) and would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has built recently or anyone who has any ideas on this? :)

I am currently making the same decision, looking at established now just to get a better location.

With most builders I spoke with there were a lot of extra costs associated with building. Things like driveways, landscaping and carpets weren't included (except with Simmonds as they had an offer for first home buyers, you got driveway and tiles/carpet through out)

Also unless you want the most basic facilities in your house there are lots of things to upspec. Speaking with a couple of builders it was going to cost an additional $20k-$30k than the listed price for the house and land package to get the place what I would call "finished".

I am interested to hear from people that have been there and done that though

Inclusions to check for are also things like rangehoods, shower screens, gpo's etc. You are also likely to be charged with earthworks which includes bobcats for rubbish removal, power run in from dome to metere box, sewer connection, water run in additional to standard, stormwater soakwells. Depending on the site special engineering requirements by council, materials handling the list goes on. Painting, phone connection, television points and television aerial, clothesline. Id say allow another $15,000 depending what the builder is including

We checked out a transportable company looking into houses for our possible vacant block and got much the same response. The prices didn't include carpets, overhead cupboards and it was the most basic vanity, taps, bath, tiles etc, although they did harp on a bit about how they include so much more than *other* builders. The kitchen and wet areas are the ones with most room to move. No carport or garage standard of course, no landscaping. Worked out to about $15k over the list price just for the house (ie nothing outside like driveway etc), but we hit a really bad sales guy (as in, he didn't seem to know anything or try and push so we probably got a misplaced admin person or something) so we didn't think much of the service.

Looking at some brick houses in the paper that are barely more than the transportable one, same size and all and thinking that can't be right, there has to be something serious missing to make it *that* low. Maybe they don't come with a roof, or foundations, or something ...

I've done both ways a number of times. Check out what the inclusions are on the build. Many builders do include carpets, driveways, etc some even down to the clothesline and letterbox. Make sure you get a fixed price on the build including site costs. Remember to factor in your progress payments as the build goes ahead stage by stage. You may like to look for a builder that does some down balance on completion, this makes your finance easier. Also might be worthwhile looking at some spec homes, that are part completed. Good luck with your decision, it's all about research.:)

Back