House and Land package in Deception Bay

Hi All

Had someone come out and discuss house and land packages in Redcliffe, Caboolture and the like areas...
Deception bay came up as a go-er ..approx $330k for 3br townhouse with double lock up garage.
I'm from Sydney and have never been to that part of QLD...

Any thoughts? is this a good investment? or something shonky going on here?

make sure you do your own research as to whether its a good buy, and also whether the repayments etc that they showed you were accurate. I had a short lived career selling QLD house and land packages to Sydney-siders. One of the tricks they use is to shorten up the deprectiation years of everything, so it looks like depreciation in the first couple of years is very high. Generally, my estimate was that they were quoting almost double the depreciation that people would actually get.
In terms of the area, there are some parts of D-Bay that are a bit rough, but probably house and land packages would be newer areas. Its close to Bruce Hwy... whereas Caboolture and Burpengary have rail line to the city. The area has grown heaps over the past 10 -15 years, since I've been visiting the outlaws there!
Pen

Hi All

Had someone come out and discuss house and land packages in Redcliffe, Caboolture and the like areas...
Deception bay came up as a go-er ..approx $330k for 3br townhouse with double lock up garage.
I'm from Sydney and have never been to that part of QLD...

Any thoughts? is this a good investment? or something shonky going on here?
Well the first thing I think of are the nicknames.. 'Depression Bay' and 'Conception Bay' which are both in common usage still!

As mentioned by Penny there are newer areas that have a different feel to them, was visiting one this last weekend and the area seemed quite reasonable (no back yard mechanics, shabby houses and junk over the yards, or any of the other obvious signs of depression!), however travel over the main road to another older part of the suburb and it's a different story.

Building up some detailed knowledge of the area would be important here, it's not Ascot unfortunately :) I would also be looking out for the quality of the townhouse development and how many of these developments were in the nearby area. I would be looking elsewhere generally with that budget, but the individual deal might be worthwhile.

Gotchya, did this person come out without an invitation to discuss new house and land packages? :) I presume they are marketing for a developer though you would like to know whose interests they are representing (unlikely to be yours!)

Have a visit to realestate.com.au and look at what 330k will buy you in Deception Bay, quite a nice selection of newish houses on decent chunks of land for starters. Also whereis, google maps and street view are free resources that only require a little time investment.

Good luck with your search!

It is always good to do a bit of research before buying.

Other options are to look at land in Kallangur and Griffin areas. land prices start at around $180k and a 3 bedroom house would cost around $160k turn key. These should rent for around $380 per week and should be valued at around $380k on completion.

Back