House Demolition

W

WebBoard

I am hoping someone on the forum can help me with some questions about removing an old house (not worth relocating).
Do demolition companies remove houses just for the salvage rights ie. hardwood floors, airconditioner, ducted heating etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Brett!

Just a thought, but, consider the chattels within the house and weigh up the cost of a QS report before the demolition.

The reason, well, if there is any value left within these items and they are scrapped in the process, then you can claim the lot as an immediate tax deduction.

Something to consider . . . .

Dale

Reply: 2

You be surprised what the Demolition guy's want. And you may find that your old house is worth relocating to them.

I have a current project where I have arranged for removal of a house (in Glen Waverley) some quotes were upto ~$8K to demolish the site ready for development, but others would clear the site for Nil just to take the house.

Have you got a town-planning permit yet? Otherwise demolition can be subject to town planning.

David

Reply: 2.1

No I haven't got town planning approval yet -I'm still doing all my sums.
The other complication is that the house (on the Mornington Peninsula) has an asbestos roof.

Reply: 2.1.1

There are licensed asbestos removalists out there who will take the waste to a licensed hazardous landfill.

Asbestos needs to be treated as a dangerous substance, but as long as it's wet, there's no real threat.

Cheers
EL

Reply: 2.1.2

Asbestos may increase cost of removal.

In costing your development the cost of demolition shouldn't make or break a project, but it doesn't hurt to optimize your costs.

David

Back