House Insulation and Lighting

My brick/tile PPOR get notoriously cold in winter and very hot in summer. After reading the article below i think the problem is due to all the recessed can lights in my house. I am thinking about removing the lights , patching the holes and replacing the lights.

http://sourceable.net/getting-roof-right-key-good-design/
Another roof hole that's easy to avoid is downlights or recessed can lights in insulated ceilings. They're notoriously hard to seal, and therefore allow air to flow back and forth into and out of the conditioned space. They also permit moisture to flow, which can lead to moisture issues in attic insulation. And finally, a lot of heat can move into the cooler space, whether that's the attic or interior space, through leaky fixtures.

1)What light fittings would you recommend that are in a mid range budget and only require a small hole in the ceiling to be mounted?
2)Do IXL tastic heater lights in the bathroom leak alot of air? I can see directly into the roof space when i stand underneath it. There is probably a 20cm X 20cm hole in the ceiling. What can i replace it with?
3)Do evap vents leak alot of air when they are closed shut? It does not seem like a particularly air tight seal on those vents. Would getting a cover on the evap system help?

Thanks

I would say yes it is somewhat true.... But it's more likely the lack of insulation in the walls and ceiling.

Changing your down lights and covering your heat lamps would create minimal change I would think, especially if the house is not insulated well.

Tim

Back