House Maintenance, Whos Responsibility

Hello,

I'm just wondering where most people draw the line with general maintenance and upkeep on there investment properties.

My Property manager has told me the gutters are full and over flowing when it rains. Is this the tenants responsibility or and landlords? If I pay for this am I going to get a call next week saying the lawns are getting to long??

Thanks in advance..

The lawns are in the lease. Not everyone has a ladder which can access the roof. You would be ticked off if the tenant didn't put the ladder up securely and it slipped ripping down all of the guttering & suing you.

If you had a unit, the gutter cleaning would come out of your strata levies, what's the difference?

Get a handyman out for 2-3 hours every 6 months to clean out gutters. Will cost about $150 and is far cheaper than getting your gutters replaced when they rust out due to silt buildup and retained moisture.

I now get the gardener to cut the grass and clean out the gutters.

Grass gets cut and trees trimmed back when needed, gutters cleaned every 3 months. It is worth it and claimable

Houses do not look like they are rented :)

Chris

My Property manager has told me the gutters are full and over flowing when it rains.

Check to ensure gutters are full of leaves etc and not just overflowing in heavy rain.

Your tenants maybe thinking that they are reporting a potential problem to the PM and not realise that overflowing gutters occur in heavy rain. Ask PM to check with tenants to clarify.

Regards
Sheryn

Check to ensure gutters are full of leaves etc and not just overflowing in heavy rain.

Your tenants maybe thinking that they are reporting a potential problem to the PM and not realise that overflowing gutters occur in heavy rain. Ask PM to check with tenants to clarify.
Regards
Sheryn

Sadly, in these days of litigation you really cannot ask a tenant or a PM to climb up onto a roof to check the gutters.

This is a landlord's responsibility. Factor in nearby trees etc and work out how often you should have to have the gutters cleaned out to prevent damage.

How long have you owned the property? When were the gutters last cleared out?
Marg

Thanks for the reminder - how about every landlord get their gutters cleaned out before you end up with a $2000+ overflow like I had last January. Test that the downpipes aren't full of toy cars and tennis balls.

I would not expect my tenants to do anything with the gutters other than advise me of any issue which I would address. I don't want my tenants fixing anything in case they hurt themselves or do more damage, its a pain in the butt to chase up issues raised and as far as I'm concerned it just part of the business.

I have also learnt to take all my tools when doing repairs the last two times I have only taken the tools to fix the issue raised and they advise me of something else while there, of course I don't have the tools and have to return another day. :rolleyes:

The last time they advised me the roof is leaking and running down the outside brickwork, did not have my ladder. I so much love doing two trips not like I have anything else to do :)

Brian

Back