house relocation

W

WebBoard

I am new to this board. I have relocated a house from Sydney to Bathurst area and am now living in a great 100 year old house. thought it such a good investment idea that I have bought another block of land and am looking for an old weatherboard house to relocate. so far I've been looking in the papers for one but haven't been too successful as the village I am moving the house to is heritage listed. therefore it has to fulfill certain criteria. Thought it would be good to get some ideas for how to let people who are about to demolish their houses know that I can remove it at no cost to them (which should save them about $6,000 to $12,000). I am happy to take it away for nix or pay up to a few thousand for the house. any ideas (apart from putting adds in papers, which I will also do) for finding the old Gem???

thanks for any replies.
Tess

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hmmm sounds Interesting! Are you reselling the property after you have relocated a suitable house to the land? or are you renting the property after you do your work?

Reply: 1.1

I intend to rent for 12 months to minimise CGT and then sell as there is unlikely to be any significant growth in this country area. I will have made my profit from the development of the land. One needs to assess the general cost of the relocation against the price of land and resale of house. In this village the difference between price of land and resale of house and land makes this an attractive project.
Tess

Reply: 1.1.1

A few of the die hards touched on this topic in the chat room a couple of nights ago. Would you mind giving the ins and out of how you did it?

Jude

Reply: 1.1.1.1

I found an add in The Land for houses available to be removed. Rang the house relocator who had a number of houses. the house I chose was 100 year old with box bay windows and pressed metal walls and cedar cladding. I paid about $20,000 to have it moved. they cut it in two and reassembled it on my land for this price. I had to pay for footings to be built and all connection to services etc. House needed renovating and had minor work like filling in fireplaces which of course cannot be moved. that's about it.
Tess

Back