house/units conversion

Come across a property being sold as a block of flats which is in actual fact one house 4 families have been living in. It is divided up with just a door between each unit but only has one electrical box, water, gas etc. This would have to be rewired, possibly replumbed for a seperate hws in each. I believe you would have to install fire rating wall between each unit and up into the roof. Would there be any council requirements for making this into 4 seperate units.

First stop is the local council. It is quite possible that the division into 4 flats was never approved. Zoning will also be an issue.
Marg

This is not divided into 4 flats, but the agent is selling it as "comprising 4 individual units, this....". So far I have identified it will need: to seperate wiring or be rewired, same with gas and water. New hws in 2 units. 2 fireproof walls through into the roof. Plaster up 1 wall. Somehow allow parking for 3 (at least) cars. Heating in 2 units. A new back door for one unit. Add a laundry into a bathroom for 2 units. And then approvals from council. I just hope some naive person doesnt buy it without realising all this.

Last edited:
sounds like a minefield there.

Change of building class from one to two requires a bldg permit, either from council or a private Bldg surveyor. This triggers a whole host of potential issues (planning and building approval issues) as you have pointed out - fire-ratings (walls, doors), laundries, carparking, utilities, and amongst other issues, also acoustic-ratings, escape distances and private open space requirements for each unit.

sounds like a minefield there.

Change of building class from one to two requires a bldg permit, either from council or a private Bldg surveyor. This triggers a whole host of potential issues (planning and building approval issues) as you have pointed out - fire-ratings (walls, doors), laundries, carparking, utilities, and amongst other issues, also acoustic-ratings, escape distances and private open space requirements for each unit.

I am embarking on a similar project, but its all new to me so need help! Would it be best to get like a project manager in for this, or someone with knowledge of what needs to be done to become compliant? who can I contact to help me thru the process?

I am embarking on a similar project, but its all new to me so need help! Would it be best to get like a project manager in for this, or someone with knowledge of what needs to be done to become compliant? who can I contact to help me thru the process?

An architect or building designer familiar with the planning and building approval issues involved would be my suggestion. They would be able to assist you with getting both the planning and building permits from the council and/or private building surveyor.

Back