House with a slanting floor

I am looking at buying a house in Adelaide. The garage is converted into a lounge and one of the sides has sunk, which has made the floor slant to one side. There are some visible cracks in the wall/s. The house is brick. Could someone suggest:

1. What could be the problem and is this house safe to live in?

2. How much will it cost to repair the wall / floor ?

3. Who should we consult?

Cheers
FM

I am looking at buying a house in Adelaide. The garage is converted into a lounge and one of the sides has sunk, which has made the floor slant to one side. There are some visible cracks in the wall/s. The house is brick. Could someone suggest:

1. What could be the problem and is this house safe to live in?

2. How much will it cost to repair the wall / floor ?

3. Who should we consult?

Cheers
FM

If you want to earn your first million, I would avoid this property. The money is to be made in doing cosmetic renovations not structural renovations unless your a tradie, do the work yourself and get a decent amount of the market price.

Could be caused by many things, most likely some water issue.

May need underpinning, which can be exxie and would most likely need a structural engineer to look at it.

I would avoid it and write it off as too much work personally.

I bought 1 im re neging on it atm...

Here is a pic....

It has a 20cm fall, will cost around $40k to fix peirs.

Depends on whats wrong underneath, could do with packing, could do with floating sand cement over it or could be KO'd like this house. Where I want something like this for pennys in the dollar, and the deal to be to my advantage.

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 116
I bought 1 im re neging on it atm...

Here is a pic....

It has a 20cm fall, will cost around $40k to fix peirs.

Depends on whats wrong underneath, could do with packing, could do with floating sand cement over it or could be KO'd like this house. Where I want something like this for pennys in the dollar, and the deal to be to my advantage.

As per the builder / handyman, the problem can be solved by under pinning. He will have a closer look this week.

This house was initially advertised for $450K and now in the market for 370K negotiable. The house has two kitchens, 2 bathrooms, 2 toilets and 4 rooms + lounge. This would be owner occupied with one BR+Kitchen rented.

If the builder says it gonna cost a lot of money then will run away from it :)

This house was initially advertised for $450K and now in the market for 370K negotiable. The house has two kitchens, 2 bathrooms, 2 toilets and 4 rooms + lounge. This would be owner occupied with one BR+Kitchen rented.

firstmillion, I'm not really having a go at you. On the face of it - it does look attractive - granted. But usually the people that do well with these kinds of properties know what is required (aka the Reno Kings etc). If you have to get some-one to look at it - then it probably isn't for you. BUT you are to be congratulated for calling in the experts for an opinion before writing it off.

You never know, it could be a goer :)

firstmillion, I'm not really having a go at you. On the face of it - it does look attractive - granted. But usually the people that do well with these kinds of properties know what is required (aka the Reno Kings etc). If you have to get some-one to look at it - then it probably isn't for you. BUT you are to be congratulated for calling in the experts for an opinion before writing it off.

You never know, it could be a goer :)

Hi Propertunity,

I respect your inputs mate. I am trying, if I can get a bargain and the risk is $200 and 1 hr of my time :).

Will keep you updated.

Cheers

Hi Brijesh, which suburb is it?

Last week, I saw 2 houses @ Paralowie sub 250K. Those I can almost bet will start cf neutral & then become cf +ve because the current rent is too low.

KY

Time for a coffee

Hi Brijesh, which suburb is it?

Last week, I saw 2 houses @ Paralowie sub 250K. Those I can almost bet will start cf neutral & then become cf +ve because the current rent is too low.

KY

Hi Kum,

This one is in Athelstone. Time to share a cup of coffee Kum. You have to share your Malaysian experience as well :D.

PM me the address of the properties, if you are not considering them yourself.

Cheers

Saved approx $50K

The builder / handyman gave us a good insight on the property. The slanting floor was a problem used as a distraction. The whole house was sagging and had 'Bowed' roof. The total cost of repair would have been nearly $50,000 :eek:.

Dropped the idea, but was a very good learning exercise for me. I have attached a few pics.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Cheers

Attachments

• 05092009016.jpg
    05092009016.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 05092009017.jpg
    05092009017.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 05092009020.jpg
    05092009020.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 74
This kind of experience will be good for you FM. Now you know what to look out for and will have an 'eye' for it.

This can save you a lot of money in future, on not paying for building reports on properties that you can now "see" are not worth investigating further.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Hi, I was going to say that price range doesn't represent good value specially for Athelstone. It's the poor cousin of the other suburbs & while those houses near Waterfall Gully maintain their prices, the other larger section of the suburb is too 'remote' in terms of facilities.

I took the bus from Paradise Interchange & the larger part of Athelstone in the northern part after Montacute Rd can be lumped together with Windsor Gardens in terms of price expectations & growth.

I'm sounding like a broken record again - can't find any properties to buy in Adelaide apart from the real cheapies which I don't buy because I've had it with that kind of tenants.

KY

I don't mind Athelstone, but see better value elsewhere.

Kim, get another PM, makes those areas much less annoying. Met my northern PM for the first time on Fri (known her for years), and amongst other thing as well as the tenants of the area being afraid of her - the Housing Trust people are also afraid of her. :D glad she's on my side.

Back