House with previous termite damage-fixed

Looking to buy a house near a bush area. Did a pest inspection and the report says that there was INACTIVE termite evidence and a roof rafter has been replaced due to previous termite damage (10 years ago). I spoke to the inspector and he says that there are no current termite damage that he can see.

Normally if there have been termite damage then we will run with no second thoughts. In this case however, the damage have been fixed.

Is this house considered "equal" to a house with no previous termite activity since all damage have been fixed? Or is this house still considered inferior?

Can the inspector missed the damages in other timbers since there is no way anyone can inspect every timber in a house?

Inspector says that inactive termites activity is very common in NSW, especially in this area (near bush). He reckons there is nothing to worry about. Is this a fair comment?

Probably. But I'm not a termite expert.

So I'd go with the inspector's opinion unless there's a good reason not to.

If it's fixed that's great, I'd worry more about where they came in from. Lots of houses in QLD had breaches up the old timber stumps that have now been replaced with steel and chemical barriers. When they tracked up to the roof how much of the walls did they eat on the way! Inspectors have seen it a lot so his opinion is worth listening to just make you are very comfortable with it.

He has no reason to lie to you - in fact, his business is run on his good word.

There was previous termite activity in one window in my garage - ages ago.
The inspector said it was fine now so I trusted him.

Termites are weird. They sometimes just eat part of the place and then leave for some reason. Maybe they were caught out and got rid of. Anyway, the beam has been replaced so you have a new beam.

The thing is that termites like hardwood which is so strong and durable.

I have seen a house where the termites ate everything and just left the wallpaper and the door jambs. :eek:

Maybe speak to the inspector again. He will probably recommend a termite treatment just to make you feel better. If they're not there then nothing to worry about.

Good luck

My most recent purchase I was in the same predicament (except it hadn't yet been fixed).

Had a lengthy discussion with the inspector who was most helpful. The damage was only listed under 'minor' in the building report as it did not have any effect on the structural integrity of the house.

I was able to get quotes to repair the damage too. $1800-$2000 to reinforce the affected bits, or $7000-$8000 to completely replace it so that in future not even a pest inspector would be the wiser (the price difference is because the roof would need to be partially removed).

Family and friends Most people told me to walk away... but I think with numbers like that, and the ability to negotiate a $30k discount off the purchase price, I'm hoping I made the right decision.

I will probably opt for the pricier repair/replacement just before selling, just so that people like you that are unsure aren't driven away.

So after that ramble, what I mean to say is:

talk to your inspector.

talk to builders. get quotes. find out what costs you would be up for.

use the termite damage to your advantage if its not too disastrous and use that as leverage on negotiating a good discount.

So after that ramble, what I mean to say is:

talk to your inspector.

talk to builders. get quotes. find out what costs you would be up for.

use the termite damage to your advantage if its not too disastrous and use that as leverage on negotiating a good discount.

The repairs have already been made hence there is no cost (if the inspector is correct). Its the fact that there was previous termite activity that is scaring me..... As a IP, wouldn't future buyers ask the same questions?

I thought most termite species prefered soft wood and would only eat the hardwood if there was nothing else.:confused:

Dunno. But I found this on the web:
There are many old wives tails surrounding termites and their habits. Many people have said to me "termites do not eat hardwood" many people have also said to me "termites do not eat softwood". Well the truth is that termites will eat any product that contains cellulose. Hardwood, softwood, medium wood, they do not care!
Termites colonies appear to prefer a certain type of timber, that is that they will attack a house for instance, and completely eat out the Oregon header beams above windows (handy that) and yet not touch the maple skirtings or door frames. Why this is has not yet been answered, in the next house with termites the timber species attacked may well be reversed, it is not quite random, however it is very difficult to predict.
The important thing to remember is that all timber is a potential feeding ground for these voracious little blokes. Make sure that you take precautions around your home. termitetruth, 2006

If the damage has been fixed in my opinion your back to even chances. If the termites are inactive the house has been assessed for the original infestation and future risk as a part of treatment. re-infestation chances are lower than a house that has never been assessed or having regular inspections. With radar and movement sensors like termi-trak the chances of an inspector missing a nest on a known effected house are low unless you have an inexperienced pesty. Back in your inspector keep up the recommended inspections and it will be covered by his Indemnity Insurance if he missed anything.

Also Termites love hardwood in Australia. Old gum trees and red gum farm fence posts are notorious hangouts for termites. The first thing I look for attending an inspection is an old gum tree.

Back