Housekeeping

Something that I took away from the Peter Spann presentation yesterday - who can recommend a good housekeeper in Melbourne or can someone enlighten me as to how to go about finding one?

Cheers,

The Y-man

The Y-man said:
Something that I took away from the Peter Spann presentation yesterday - who can recommend a good housekeeper in Melbourne or can someone enlighten me as to how to go about finding one?

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hehe.. despite self managing all my properties I dont mind paying $100pw to have a lady come in and clean the entire house from top to bottom, change the sheets, do any dishes that arent done and take all my washing and ironing away (to be returned all completed the next day).. Its like being married but you get to keep control of your credit card! ;)

I found mine via the local free rag that comes around (Messenger Press). Find a good one and pay her over the market rate to keep her.

Word Of Mouth Referral

We found our cleaners through word of mouth referral.

I agree with Duncan, it's a small price to pay to not feel guilty about not finding the time to clean the house. (Although we get the a basic clean compared to what Duncan receives :) )

We also get our ironing done and our lawns mowed.

When I'm not working I would rather spend time with my family than have to work at home.

Regards
A

duncan_m said:
Hehe.. despite self managing all my properties I dont mind paying $100pw to have a lady come in and clean the entire house from top to bottom, change the sheets, do any dishes that arent done and take all my washing and ironing away (to be returned all completed the next day).. Its like being married but you get to keep control of your credit card! ;)

I found mine via the local free rag that comes around (Messenger Press). Find a good one and pay her over the market rate to keep her.

Hi Duncan,

WOW!! Did you find this housekeeper in Melbourne - if so, I would LOVE the details!! If I could find alll that for $100 per week, they'd be hired on the spot, FORVER!!! :D I'm almost drooling over the time we could save.....

Cheers, Jen

I have a friends Mum that does Housekeeping for a few people..didn't think many people still had Housekeepers..how wrong I am.

We've never had a housekeeper, YET :D . I've been dying to find a great one in Melbourne (yet have never bothered really sourcing it out - my procrastination methods on everything and anything that don't involve work are ridiculous - can you now picture the state of our place :eek: :eek: ) I'm staring into our walk in robe as I type. The top shelf is littered with clothes needing to go to the dry cleaners and get ironed - well over 4 weeks pile. We finallly had a Saturday free and did try cleaning, made a slight dent in the built up grease/rock hard who knows what that has now defined our stainless steel gas stove top (we're nearly all good, except for those 'thingys' - where the gas/flame comes out - that refuse to give up their stronghold on the grease/who knows what magnet they've developed a strong attachment to). Another stumbling block (and there's MANY) - the bathroom - we still cannot get the glass shower screen clear. Again, shower screen has built up strong addiction to what I call 'grime love' and will not give it up.

So, yes, we are totally pathetic and ridiculous I know, although despite my groaning we did manage to make a dent in most of the place. But, 6 hours later, I'm thinking about how much money we could have made had we both stayed at work. :rolleyes:

And this damn closet (which sits right next to my computer as a constant reminder of our inability to maintain a household) taunts me so much that I need to shut the door to deny what's happening in there. :eek:

Again, can anyone recommend a househeeper in Melbourne that can do what Duncan's can?!?!

Cheers, Jen

JenD said:
We finallly had a Saturday free and did try cleaning, made a slight dent in the built up grease/rock hard who knows what that has now defined our stainless steel gas stove top (we're nearly all good, except for those 'thingys' - where the gas/flame comes out - that refuse to give up their stronghold on the grease/who knows what magnet they've developed a strong attachment to). Another stumbling block (and there's MANY) - the bathroom - we still cannot get the glass shower screen clear. Again, shower screen has built up strong addiction to what I call 'grime love' and will not give it up.
Presumably then you own, and not rent.

JenD said:
Hi Duncan,

WOW!! Did you find this housekeeper in Melbourne - if so, I would LOVE the details!! If I could find alll that for $100 per week, they'd be hired on the spot, FORVER!!! :D I'm almost drooling over the time we could save.....

Cheers, Jen

Adelaide I'm afraid Jen..

She wasnt advertising those services, she was just advertising for cleaning.. I got the Messenger Press out and phone all of the ads and explained what I was looking for.. She was happy to do the cleaning and the rest.. She's been at it nearly 2 years now I think, would hate to lose her.

duncan_m said:
She's been at it nearly 2 years now I think, would hate to lose her.
Duncan,

Now that you've trained her, marry her :)

BTW. Just kidding as I can already hear the chauvinistic remarks :eek: popping up

geoffw said:
Presumably then you own, and not rent.

Yes, we do own, BUT, we bought the place as an IP, using the FHOG, so it was rented previously (and those stubborn grease, grime monsters where there when we moved in - although I was able to keep them under control before i started working) - so after June 2, we'll have lived in the place 6 months and it's time to move out and use the IP for it's original intention - so we NEED to find some help soon to get the place under control before we start showing it to tenants.

On a side note - I've actually found the FHOG an evil tease - now that we've moved into the place and realised what an absolutely perfect location it is for us (tram stop at our front door which goes within 2 blocks of my work, one block away from entrance to Western Ring Road for fiance to drive to Hoppers Crossing for work, and my girlfriend who is staying with us found a job right off the tram line as well) we don't want to move :( But we bought the place as an IP, and the interest in advance payment we made last June will be finished mid-June, so we have to go - definitly need to find a place nearby though! :)

Cheers,
Jen

JenD said:
we bought the place as an IP, and the interest in advance payment we made last June will be finished mid-June, so we have to go - definitly need to find a place nearby though! :)

Cheers,
Jen

Will you be using a PM to manage the IP? If so it could be interesting to rent from them too :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Come on guys, someone in Melbourne must have a housekeeper that they love!:confused: (and would love to refer more business too?? ;) )

The Trouble with housework is.

You wash the dishes, clean floors change the bed etc and 6 months later you gotta do it all again.:eek:

JenD this sounds like your problem.:D :D

cheers yadreamin

yadreamin said:
The Trouble with housework is.

You wash the dishes, clean floors change the bed etc and 6 months later you gotta do it all again.:eek:

JenD this sounds like your problem.:D :D

cheers yadreamin

That's exactly it!! :D :D

my mother in law does ALL our housework for us, cooking, cleaning, ironing and child minding .... all for $240 per week.
we are in melbourne and she lives next door to us.

peteb said:
my mother in law does ALL our housework for us, cooking, cleaning, ironing and child minding .... all for $240 per week.
we are in melbourne and she lives next door to us.
There you are Y-man, make an offer on the house the other side! :p

Seriously, take a look at the local paper if asking around doesn't work. Remember that noone will do the job the way you would do it yourself. Take a chill pill and top up anything between times that needs doing.

Oh, wait you are a guy... some of you think that as long as you are not in danger of skiing down the hall on mouldy pizza box then the house is clean. You will probably be fine with the job they do. (just teasing I am sure you enjoy a clean house)

Enjoy your extra time.

Well actually, truth be known my MIL is down from Bris Vegas at present doing the chores... but my wife is grunbling about the "level of finish" (I think she's fine! :) ) but it's not like you can say to her, "Could you take a bit more care with xxxx....." :p

She is here until end of next week - then I am sure we (or is that "I") will seriously miss her.

Cheers,

The Y-man

it took me months to get over the fact that my cleaner doesn't clean to the high standard i do - she's okay but it's the little things like light switches and behind the fridge she seems to miss ... until i recall the old saying "if you don't like the job, do it yourself."

that cured me! :D

also, we go away every few 5-6 months for a couple of week so she still comes and does all the "occasional" jobs like oven, fridge, kitchen cupboards, grout on the tiled floors, windows etc.

lizzie said:
it took me months to get over the fact that my cleaner doesn't clean to the high standard i do - she's okay but it's the little things like light switches and behind the fridge she seems to miss ... until i recall the old saying "if you don't like the job, do it yourself."
lizzie,

PLEASE talk to MrsW :D

you can't offer on the house on the other side because my mother lives in that one .... we have our own little 'commune' in st kilda.

Back