Houses near/around Power Lines

We rented within 100m of the bigger HV lines. The corridor had smaller 96kv and the big 137? Kv I think?
I wasn't too worried about them until my wife did a bit of research into some studies. The issues were when they were near high traffic roads with alot of pollution. From memory, figures like kids under 5 were 5 times more likely to get cancers than those not living within 100m of HV lines. The fine particles becoming charged and sticking to the lungs rather than passing through the system. Anyway, its a personal choice and you can do your own research. Fyi we broke the lease and had trouble filling it, even though it was nicer inside than others in the area (WA) Ended up getting a family from qld who were trying to find a place whilst living over there. Anyway, good luck. Cheers

Had a friend working for Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency who looks after all the codes etc for EMF. Basically he told me alot of the studies are inconclusive, base on a very small sample and that other factors were not controlled appropriately. Hence worldwide bodies such as WHO have not supported alot of these findings. Nevertheless there is ongoing reasearch on this field.

However, he made a good point that ppl will not live near powerlines but will let their young children use mobile phones. And as we know when children use mobile phones, they use it for hours and put it right next to their pillows when they sleep.

The fine particles becoming charged and sticking to the lungs rather than passing through the system.

If you are into the ionised/charged particle theory, you are better off living upwind of HV powerlines than downwind. eg in Melbourne, better to live on the west side of the lines than east, as the prevailing winds are westerly,

The Y-man

Back