Houses v Flats

Hi guys
Has anyone considered the pros and cons of houses v flats as an IP. I sure would like to know your thoughts.
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

At a very basic level, houses generally have higher capital appreciation than flats. Unless, I guess, you buy an entire block of flats.

Operating costs are a slightly more complex story. Newer apartments can have pools , spas and gyms so these add significantly to the operating cost of an apartment.

I'll leave it to others to get into the nitty gritty of pros and cons of houses and flats. It all depends on many variables.

Dan.

Reply: 1.1

Hi,

I live in Sydney, and there are quite a few areas where new flats are going up where you have to be very careful. ie, if you buy a flat and someone develops even more flats near you, the value of your flat won't rise as much or may go down. Land is the key to capital growth, and having land allows you a greater ability to add value. Therefore, houses or blocks of flats are the way to go.

Ethan

Reply: 2

Hi peoples,

As usual it comes down to the individual situation. My thoughts would be that if you can't afford to buy a house in a certain area then buying a flat/unit would be preferable to not buying at all. Do other people agree?

Maybe a cheaper unit could be used as your stepping stone to get into houses which offer more land content and greater control over improvements?

Cheers
Chris

Reply: 3

Hiya

If someone can teach me how to convert a word file to a HTML file and to attach it to a post I can show you some interesting data on Sydney Suburbs.

While the land value appreciates things is generally correct, you will find in some areas its a marginal difference and in some areas buying a unit is financial lunacy.

Ta

Rolf

Reply: 4

Hiya

Have a look at the attached

I had better acknowledge the source.

www.residex.com.au

TA

Rolf

Reply: 4.1

hi Rolf
Is the formula for the rate of return in the article annual rent / house price *100*over ten years?
or some other formula?
Kind regards
Simon

Reply: 4.1.1

Hi Even,

I prefer to buy Townhouses, Units & Villas over houses for a number of reasons. The main reasons I've outlined below -

1/ A bigger future Marketplace & demand for these types of properties. - The baby boomers are the biggest group of people born so far. This group is now starting to reach their Retirement years and as such start to downsize PPOR due to 2 main reasons. a/ Kids have grown up and moved out & they're left with a big aging house requiring more alot more frequent maintenance, and , b/ They have over estimated how far their superanuations will last & the cost of retirement living and there fore have to sell up to realise some of the capital so they can stretch theyre retirement dollars further. They ultimately sell up and shift to an inner metro suburb for lifestyle purposes and/or to be closer to their adult children, and Grand Children..or they move to a coastal located lifetyle area. I feel as investors if we cater for this group of people we will do extremely well.

2/ Allows you a Lower Entry level into a Higher Growth Area.

3/ They're More Tax effective in terms of Capital & Plant Depreciation due to 2/(above).

4/ Able to hold more Investment Properties over time across your whole Portfolio due to 2/(above).

5/ Have a Lower Maintenance / Repair costs.

6/ Less Time & work involved for your Tenant/s to look after.

Hope these are of help.

bye.gif
©

Happy Investing,
Rixter® :)

Reply: 4.1.1.1

From memory, the total rate of return in
Residex includes capital growth and
rental income so, while the return may be
similar, it may be in very different
amounts. I.e. Double Bay might be 12%
capital growth, 3% rental return whereas
Mt Druitt might be 5% capital growth with
12% rental return. Which you prefer may
depend on whether you need equity or
cashflow.

Uncle Steve Navra likes a minimum of
30% land value but a bit hard to get this in
a Sydney unit unless it is an old block of
four on the harbour. However, I have 2
units with land value in the low to mid
20%s and these seem to be doing quite
well. Obviously, this is better than 5-10%
land value in a multi-storey tower-type
property. I prefer smaller buildings with
large land footprints. Would like to move
on to townhouses etc though.

Donna L

Reply: 4.1.2.1

HOUSES
Better land value
Can value add with usually better results
No strata fees but maintenance is higher
They look prettier
Can subdivide blocks sometimes
Can subdivide house into flats sometimes

UNITS
Cheaper to maintain
Strata fees and sinking funds payable
Easier and cheaper to renovate
Less land value unless you buy in a small block
Usually don't appreciate as fast as houses

It's all so individual :)
I like both, as long as they are going to get me what I'm striving for- good rental return and a healthy capital growth forecast.
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 4.1.2.1.1

What about land tax? I would think that townhouses, units or flats would not incur as much land tax due to there not being much land? Is this true? If so you should be able to buy more units than houses before incurring land tax.

Reply: 4.1.2.1.1.1

Hello,

This may sound silly, but I haven't bought a house yet (just 1 unit). But how much is land tax anyway (in NSW)?

Amy

Reply: 4.1.2.1.1.2

Hi Natasha,

you are right, the proportion of land allocated to units/flats/apartments is far less than houses, therefore the land value would therefore be less, attracting less tax (assuming you are over the threshold, I can't remember the threshold here in Vic off the top of my head, I think its over low $100,000s)...

I agree with the above posts, both houses & flats/units/apartments have their pro's & cons, so a balance in your portfolio wouldn't hurt (balance would vary based on whether you buy & hold over long term, your taxable income & also whether you will rely on the cashflow generated from rent to survive)...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Reply: 4.1.2.1.1.1.1

Amy,

Have a look at the following:

http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/taxes/info_lt.htm

for Land Tax Rates in NSW.

Two schools of thought with paying less Land Tax with Units:
First one is yes you probably would.
Second one is that since land tends to appreciate as opposed to depreciating buildings, you may still be better off paying the Land Tax for a faster appreciating property.

As always, very much depends on the individual circumstances though.

:)

Back