Housing back to 1997 prices??

Hey all thanks for the comments.
I think some of you may have missed the point of the post. I was trying to get some opinons of what you think the market will do in Australia.

Sorry I should not have mentioned the 350k - 5 bedroom house in a high unemployment area...lol

It appears that most of you think that the market is heading up with the economy which is good news! (I just hope that your sources are not A Current Affair and Today tonight...lol)

Thanks again
Glenn

ummm.. well the market has headed down recently. ABS don't lie. the lower end of the market has stagnated or slight increased due to the FHG hand out by KRudd. what happens next? i will get out my crystal ball. my prediction over the next 1.5 years; down another 7%'ish.

if you could buy at discount to market then go ahead. otherwise stick that 50 bucks a week under the pillow and wait a year.

Yes, stop reading crap :eek:

Read our Autumn newsletter instead LOL. (I have removed the advertising)

The #1 question we get asked all the time: “Is it is a good time to buy now?
Let's look at a number of factors affecting the property market in an attempt to expose the answer to the #1 question we get asked all the time: “Do you think now is a good time to buy?”
Low Interest Rates:
Interest rates have been cut again in April by the RBA. Admittedly, only by 0.25% this time, with less than half that (0.1%) passed on by 3 of the big 4, with the hold-out being NAB which passed none of it on. We believe variable rates will continue to come down. With Westpac saying in their Market Insights Report of April 2009, “We continue to expect the cash rate to fall to 2.0% by year’s end”.
On the flip side, some fixed rates are on the rise because, according to our money market contact, “Interbank swap rate for the 3 and 5 yr products had a bounce and were looking to stay up. This increases the cost of funding to the lender, thus for the lenders to maintain their % margins they must raise by at least the same as the increased cost of funds, or in fact slightly higher”. This of course may just be a bounce.
So, to fix now or stay variable? Most long term investors choose to have at least some of their loans fixed. This gives them certainty and allows them to budget for their mortgage repayments. Choosing to go variable allows you to benefit from falling rates but you have no protection when they rise again. There is no right answer, it is an individual’s choice.
Credit getting tighter:
The major lenders are now requiring evidence of genuine savings and most have pulled back from 100%, 97% and 95% lends that were around a few months ago. 90% LVR’s are still available but it looks to be scaled back to the standard 80% lends for most of us soon. Some investors see this as a good thing, as only those with the ability to save or draw on other equity (and not actually rely on the FHOG & boost for their entire deposit, as per many First Home Buyers) will qualify for finance.
Short Supply:
The HIA, Australia’s largest building industry association forecasts a shortfall of over 46,000 dwellings in 2008/9 and this is predicted to continue into 2009/10 and 2010/11. According to John Edwards of Residex, NSW has 63% of Australia's unmet demand, Victoria has 16% and WA has 14%.
So this must point to NSW being one of the best places to invest in residential property and goes some way to answering the #2 question we get asked : “Where should I be buying?” But you can’t just buy anywhere in NSW and expect to do well.
Huge Demand:
Demand: The Federal Government did announce a cut in immigration in March: The 14% cut in skilled migrant arrivals is around 18,500 people, or an overall cut of 8.7%, as there were 213,000 permanent overseas migrant arrivals in 2007/08. (according to John Edwards of Residex). However, we believe this will have almost no impact on demand. Why? It is interesting to see what the official figures for immigration do not contain. For example, the official figures do not include arrivals from NZ (as we have a pretty much open border policy with NZ) nor do they include foreign student arrivals (many of the wealthy parents of whom, buy property here for their kids to live in while attending university). We are advised the real immigration figure is something more like 300,000! So a cut of 18,500 is just a drop in the bucket.
Unemployment expected to have no effect on the Housing Recovery:
In our last newsletter we indicated that unemployment was “possibly the only dark cloud on the horizon”. Since then Westpac has published its Market Insights Report of April 2009, which states (in part):
The housing recovery arguably is already on track and the last two recessions confirm that the housing recovery will not be derailed by rising unemployment.
We are happy to defer to the Westpac economists’ view in this instance.
Our View of the Market, in Summary:
We are active in the marketplace every day and we observe 3 distinct markets in 1 at present. The lower end, where First Home Buyers (FHBs) are very, very active has experienced price rises of up to 10% in the last few months. Mid-priced properties are holding steady – no falls or rises but sales being achieved. Top end properties $1M+ are taking a hit of 10 – 20% in some instances. Therefore, all things considered, we believe now to be possibly one of the best times to be buying.
End of newsletter.

i take my hat off to propertunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

By the way. I have a good friend that just bought a 3br Villa at Casuarina Beach at Kingscliff, Northern NSW. It is one block from the beach and cost him 345K down from 600K(apparently).

Also have a friend that lives in Inverell, NSW - just bought a new 3br unit for 220K or 195K after FMOG.

Cheers
Graeme

"property; it's the ultimate jewellery sale" Fs Fines

6 or 7 years ago there were similar predictions. There'd been a few boom years and things were looking depressed. Predictions had prices falling by 40% or more.

Prices did fall a little. In some cases as much as 10%. Good quality properties and locations hardly had a problem and a few areas continued to rise in value. Unless people bought exceptionally badly, prices didn't drop to any more than the values of 12 months before.

With low rates and high demand (which isn't about to end anytime soon), I can't imagine how my $500k property would drop $300k in value.

Thanks for the comments. Just to sum up what people have written:

Ausprop - sorry don't understand (may have been at the pub when written)
Property Unity - Very good answer, cheers
Bayview - Offers good opinon
quoll - funny
big tone - funnier
PropertUnity - missed the point - probably has trouble reading
topcropper - decent
rahvi99 - pessimist
ColonialBoy - optimist
Bill.L - spelling be or is it bee, otherwise good comments
farmilor - Harry Dent fan aka legend

The most unfortunate trait a human can have is a closed mind.

Cheers

Have you come on here to get opinions from experienced investors and discuss your queries.... or pass judgement on the members...?

quoll - funny
big tone - funnier
topcropper - decent
rahvi99 - pessimist
ColonialBoy - optimist

Cheers

WOW! Some people pay thousands of dollars to get advice that these guys are giving you for free. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Try looking at API magazine. You can buy it at newsagents and lots of forum members have been featured in it. Yet here they are helping others get started.

I, for one, am grateful for that. You, I guess not so much.
It's a pity people only value that which they pay for. So go ahead start paying someone to help you.
Good luck.

My 2c is that Harry Dent is NOT an idiot. He predicted the GFC well. As an optimist by nature myself, I find his views unsettling. However, for the first time in my (12 year) investing career I'm coming around to a bearish view.

I hope Mr Dent is wrong but it seems there could be a lot more fallout in the US to come and regardless of our own fundamentals that will have a flow in effect here. How much is anyone's guess.

What this means in practice is I would only look at deals with an extra margin of safety at present.

bagg

Harry Dent is as wrong as he is right in his long history of predictions. relatively recently he's been right. predicting the future should be left to those with crystal balls - let me get mine out!

unemploment goes up = folks have to sell up. can't afford the mortgage if they've bought recently. for sure. how high??

interest rates go up = see above (especially if they've been using the family home as an ATM). with soverign debt rising - for sure. how high??

banks tighten lending criteria = see above. not so sure. ??

government interventions (eg fhogb) = no idea.

40% falls in median values - don't think so (flatter, longer me thinks)

see all the ???'s - but one thing's for sure property aint rushing up any time soon. look closely at yeilds and don't count on CG's.

i dont like prices in adelaide atm pretty much anything under 400k is getting snapped up, but i am looking to sell my property so it could be a good thing.

i was reading stories people were buying land and houses back then with creditcard 25k limit lol. doubt u can buy anything for 50k limit on gold express.

Inverell

Hi, I am looking at cash flow positive properties in Inverell regional NSW. Does anyone know some back ground on the town ??? I know it has a large meat works that seems to keep the town ticking along.... Has anyone got IP's there ?? If so are they performing ???

Cheers

quoll - funny
big tone - funnier
topcropper - decent
rahvi99 - pessimist
ColonialBoy - optimist

Cheers

Cheers?:rolleyes:

At a guess the above investors would have over 10,000 posts.

You have 10.

They would also have around 100 IPS between them. I don’t know them personally but I know of them and their equals. At least 50 but more likely 100 plus.

You have none.

Gstevens, as an ex moderator to this forum (I retired), may I respectfully suggest you post an apology.

Advice may be free here but IMO it is priceless in the hands on a serious investor. If you want to learn here, read and respect. If I had had SS when I was 25 instead of of 35 I would have 5 times the property I have and yes, I have a few more than 1.

What you posted above is dismissive and sarcastic. In another forum you would be branded a "Troll", flamed and banned. Here we give people chances to make good.

Regards,

Peter 14.7

Peter

I don't think we will ever hear from him ever again, he did 10 posts 10 months ago and none since then. I am sure he in the end bought a place it lost money, banks chased him, sold it and lost money and now tells everyone how bad property investing is. If he spent more than 30 seconds on this site he would reply with a slither of respect

Jezza

Back