Housing dodges worst of global wreck: Sydney Morning Herald

http://business.smh.com.au/housing-dodges-worst-of-global-wreck-20080714-3ewd.html
Housing dodges worst of global wreck

July 14, 2008 - 3:33PM
Page 1 of 2
Australia, like many rich nations, is in the throes of a painful housing slump but there are peculiarities here that mean the impact on the domestic economy will be a lot less brutal.

Crucially there is no hangover of unsold homes in Australia, unlike the United States where a record glut has been driving prices inexorably lower.

If anything, Australia has too few homes to match the demands of a growing population and a record immigration intake, a phenomenon that is keeping house prices near historic highs even as the cost of buying has surged.

"Sure, Australia has taken a hit but it's nothing like as bad as in the US, UK or New Zealand,'' said Matthew Hassan, an economist at Westpac.

"In fact there's a pent-up demand for housing because construction has been running below average for some years now,'' he explained. "That's putting a floor under the market and should ensure that any decline in prices won't be precipitous.''

There are no official data for unsold homes in Australia but the Housing Industry Association (HIA) estimates that the industry is currently building around 40,000 fewer homes than are needed to meet population and migration levels.

Since that has been going on for several years, there could actually be a net shortage of around 140,000 homes. In contrast, the United States has a backlog of more than 5 million unsold homes, an all-time high.

Indeed, the HIA estimates that 1 million new homes need to be built in Australia over the next five years.

"Supply must increase rapidly to meet expected demand, particularly in the capital cities,'' said HIA's head of policy, Chris Lamont. "Demand for housing is really biting as evidenced by record low vacancy rates in the rental market.''

National vacancy rates are hovering around 1%, compared with more normal levels of 3%.

That demand owes much to migration which was a record 177,600 in the year to June. Many of these are skilled migrants with jobs and who aspire to live in decent homes in the major cities.

The supply of housing has not kept pace in part because the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) made it clear early on that a housing bubble would not be tolerated.

The central bank began raising interest rates in May 2002 and launched a verbal campaign against housing speculation. The US Federal Reserve, arguing that monetary policy could do nothing about bubbles, did not stop cutting rates until June 2003, when they were at 1%.

Home building here duly fell away and has been running below the long-run average for several years now.
"In hindsight, the building industry owes a lot to the pre-emptive action of the RBA,'' said Stephen Roberts, a research director at Lehman Brothers. "It stopped them getting carried away like their American cousins, so the resulting drag on the economy is a lot less.''

Builders also have lucrative opportunities elsewhere in the booming mining and infrastructure sectors.

According to the national accounts, total private spending on engineering and non-residential construction like shopping malls and offices amounted to $74.8 billion in the 12 months to March.

That was up 20% from the previous year and surpassed spending on homes of $66.8 billion.

Lately, the state governments have also gone on an infrastructure spending spree and the backlog of work to be done in engineering alone amounts to $50 billion.

That is not to say the Australian housing market is immune.

Aiming to restrain a run-up in inflation, the RBA has hiked its main cash rate by 100 basis points in the past year, taking it to a 12-year peak of 7.25%.

Mortgage rates have risen even further as local banks seek to cover higher funding costs from the global credit squeeze.

Just Friday, the country's biggest home lender, Commonwealth Bank, lifted its variable mortgage rate by 14 basis points to 9.58%. National Australia Bank followed today, taking its rate to 9.61%.

That is far above rates on US 30-year mortgages, which are around 6.25%. The UK 10-year mortgage rate is at 6.45%, though you need a 25% deposit to get that. Loans without a deposit are virtually unattainable.

Home loans have also become harder to get in Australia as non-bank lenders have struggled to obtain funding while investors have shunned securitised mortgage debt.

As a result, the number of new home loans fell by 22% in the year to May, the biggest drop on record.

But, again, that decline is relatively moderate compared to, say, the UK where the number of mortgages approved sank 64% in the year to June.

"Australia's financial sector has held up better than many others,'' said Westpac's Hassan, noting that none of the major banks had suffered serious losses from subprime debt.

"Banks have been able to expand their balance sheets and keep lending, which has really cushioned the market,'' he added.

All of which has helped Australia avoid the sort of drastic falls in home prices seen elsewhere.

The latest figures from the Halifax showed UK home prices fell 2% in June, after a 2.5% drop in May. In the United States, the Case/Shiller measure of home sales dropped 1.4% in April, to be down 15.3% on the year.

Yet the latest official data on Australian housing showed prices actually rose 13.8% in the year to March. Real estate surveys have since pointed to some easing in prices, particularly in Sydney, but they are still up on the year.

This resilience comes despite that fact that, by some measures, Australian homes are the most unaffordable on the planet. Average house prices are six times annual household income, up from four times a decade ago.

"It's been a remarkable performance and, with so much pent-up demand, there could be a rush for housing once interest rates start to fall, as we expect next year,'' said Westpac's Hassan.

"It's been a remarkable performance and, with so much pent-up demand, there could be a rush for housing once interest rates start to fall, as we expect next year,'' said Westpac's Hassan.
Music to my ears! :D

Thanks for sharing, although I should add that there is nothing too earth-shatteringly new in that appraisal. I think most of us here are aware of the underlying strength of the Australian residential property market and the relative strength of our financial institutions. Nonetheless, its nice to read it every now and again. Add to this the < 1% vacancy rate and rental yields pushing ever upwards and there's not too much downside to be prophecising. ;) Maybe a bit of short-term emotion-driven overun to the downside, but it will be short lived...

What I also like is that the media seems to be repeating that "Once rates drop, prices will rise". This may seem irrelevant, but it has the potential to become self-fulfiling. i.e. The masses will believe it and use the dropping rates as their trigger to enter the market. When they see others start to do the same it confirms their conviction that falling rates = rising prices so they rush on in and kick off the next boom. The more you hear media repeat this relationship, the more chance it has of coming to fruition!!

Cheers,
Michael

What I also like is that the media seems to be repeating that "Once rates drop, prices will rise". This may seem irrelevant, but it has the potential to become self-fulfiling. i.e. The masses will believe it and use the dropping rates as their trigger to enter the market. When they see others start to do the same it confirms their conviction that falling rates = rising prices so they rush on in and kick off the next boom. The more you hear media repeat this relationship, the more chance it has of coming to fruition!!

Cheers,
Michael

Typically alot of GenY'ers don't actually like renting (it's the whole my money going to someone else and getting nothing out of it) But alot remember the times when IR's were down 2-3% then what they are today. When factoring this with a decent median in Sydney, I think people waiting for them to come down is a very plausible theory.

All you have to do is Google "shortage" or "pent up demand" for all of those countries to see a clear pattern. These arguments have all been used in every one of those countries and they have all been proven false.

There was a speculative mania all over the world, but Australia with higher debt levels, higher prices to wages in a lower density country is different! The 1.3% of jobs which are in the mining industry! China! Boom! Rents through the roof!

Steps go as follows:

"housing shortage"
See neighbor's house prices drop - while they were in a bubble - it's different here!
Lending drops, unsold inventory increases
Prices start to fall and people say "pent up demand" or "immigration" will save them.
People can't sell and they turn their houses into rentals
Then all of a sudden there isn't a shortage any more

Check out the actual building vs population growth to get a good idea:

http://bubblepedia.net.au/tiki-index.php?page=HousingShortage

If there really was a shortage, why would new construction go into decline? Why is there unsold inventory, and price falls? It just doesn't make sense.

"pent up demand" is economic nonsense. I rent, can afford to buy and indeed would like to buy a house one day, just not at these prices. Lower the price and I'll buy. This does not support prices at current levels.

And if I did buy, it would decrease rental demand by the same amount. It's a silly argument.

"Once rates drop, prices will rise". This may seem irrelevant, but it has the potential to become self-fulfiling. i.e. The masses will believe it and use the dropping rates as their trigger to enter the market. When they see others start to do the same it confirms their conviction that falling rates = rising prices so they rush on in and kick off the next boom. The more you hear media repeat this relationship, the more chance it has of coming to fruition!!

Cheers,
Michael

Don't hold your breath Michael. Banks are increasingly borrowing funds on a longer term basis (3 to 5 years) due to the credit crisis. Even if the RBA drops rates the banks will not.

No more of this 'Pent Up Demand' garbage please. It insults those with the slightest of intelligence

Even if the RBA drops rates the banks will not.
That's not what the banks themselves are saying:

SMH quoted article said:
The funding you're talking about isn't their sole source of funding. I think in WBC's case about 50% of their funding is cash deposits, and a lot of their wholesale funding is short term. There's certainly scope for them to ease when the international money markets sort themselves out.

Cheers,
Michael

All you have to do is Google "shortage" or "pent up demand" for all of those countries to see a clear pattern. These arguments have all been used in every one of those countries and they have all been proven false.

There was a speculative mania all over the world, but Australia with higher debt levels, higher prices to wages in a lower density country is different! The 1.3% of jobs which are in the mining industry! China! Boom! Rents through the roof!

Steps go as follows:

"housing shortage"
See neighbor's house prices drop - while they were in a bubble - it's different here!
Lending drops, unsold inventory increases
Prices start to fall and people say "pent up demand" or "immigration" will save them.
People can't sell and they turn their houses into rentals
Then all of a sudden there isn't a shortage any more

Check out the actual building vs population growth to get a good idea:

http://bubblepedia.net.au/tiki-index.php?page=HousingShortage

If there really was a shortage, why would new construction go into decline? Why is there unsold inventory, and price falls? It just doesn't make sense.

"pent up demand" is economic nonsense. I rent, can afford to buy and indeed would like to buy a house one day, just not at these prices. Lower the price and I'll buy. This does not support prices at current levels.

And if I did buy, it would decrease rental demand by the same amount. It's a silly argument.

I can't seem to find any of the countries that proves your point on "pent up demand => price fall", care to name a few?

the stats you quoted just confirms how much shortage there really was back in 2001 and hence the big boom followed. With declining new builds and increasing population currently, the shortage will eventually get back to 2001 level

All you have to do is Google "shortage" or "pent up demand" for all of those countries to see a clear pattern. These arguments have all been used in every one of those countries and they

hello,

get some more money and pay what some-one wants, otherwise keep renting, no big deal really is it

thanks
myla

get some more money and pay what some-one wants, otherwise keep renting, no big deal really is it

Just like the people who are trying unsuccessfully sell their homes are going to have to accept what someone else is willing to pay.

Myla - so you agree that pent up demand is BS? If construction is down and prices are also down, that says to me that demand has fallen considerably. Real demand, from people with real money. But like the real estate agents have you focus on their made up rental vacancy rates not rental yields, they have you focus on imaginary demand not real actual demand that sets prices.

FelixL - In the Housing Shortage page on bubblepedia there are examples of the Californian "housing shortage" and underbuilding. They also have pretty strong immigration. How are prices doing in California?

And for some examples from the UK giving the standard immigration, underbuilding, pent up supply and money from commodities and asian countries arguments:

http://www.greene.co.uk/home/news/why-the-uk-housing-market-will-not-crash

hello,

no, couldnt care less about demand, supply, inflation, real terms, affordability, bludgers looking for a handout, us, uk, spain, etc etc

thankyou
myla

Just like the people who are trying unsuccessfully sell their homes are going to have to accept what someone else is willing to pay.

That is correct actually. But is this all bad news? No;

The critical factor in this scenario is how many people will be selling in this fashion. You assume that it will affect ALL home owners and investors.

What is happening is that the volume of sales is way down now. This is due to the people who would normally be taking advantage of the booming/rising prices not bothering to try and sell their properties right now. They realise that now is not a good time to sell, don't have to, so won't.

These people are in no hurry, their financial position is fine, so they'll wait until sunnier days.

The few who are selling now are the ones who are in financial strife (or financially dumb), and they will pay the penalty for selling in a down market. It's not the entire housing market HG.

They are setting the prices now for others who HAVE to sell too, and this percentage of sellers is very small in the overall scheme of it.

I want to sell my PPoR to fund the building of the next one, but it will be sold when the market is definitely up, so for me, there is no market to be concerned about right now. This is how most home owners are.

If you are not in the market to sell, then the current state of the market doesn't exist to a degree.

Is Australia the only country that can negative gear in property investment?
Do you think this is one of the main factors why our property market is still very strong in comparison?

hello,

negative gearing has been around in aus for over 20yrs,

all "specufestors" back in 88?, or just now most aussies whine about everything and want it all on a plate

the only difference I believe is that back in 88 many more were paying P & I

thankyou
myla

Australia, UK and NZ have deductible interest on investment properties.

USA has deductible interest on PPOR, not sure about IPs.

The idea of negative gearing is you lose money from a high taxed income to gain more via low taxed capital gains. But what if there aren't any capital gains?

Even if the RBA drops rates the banks will not.
Slightly off topic, but with the poor outlook ahead for the sharemarket and the possibility of Australia heading into a recession won't the RBA be forced to act sooner rather than later by cutting interest rates in an attempt to 'rescue' the economy? In the process this will be the start of the next property boom.

(I'm no guru so expect to be shot down with these comments. :))

Back