How accountable should you be in your job?

I'm getting a bit sick of ringing people and finding they are on holidays and I have to wait until they come back.

What happens to their responsibilities?

My PM was on holidays, then he was sick, then turns out he left. He WAS great. No I get no service.

I've been Emailing the strata manager for 2 months re quotes for work done. I approved the quote and sent it to him. No answer. Several Emails. Nothing. I rang today. Oh, he's been away and only got back yesterday.

With my latest loan the bank loans manager was away sick (turnms out he left). Finally got the mobile lender to come out. Then a new guy rang up and said he'd be taking over. Then I don't know where he went but I got someone new again.

Each time you ring up you need to tell the whole story again.

I have never worked in office type jobs (well, when I was 18 for a year) but is this normal? No-one is accountable when they go on holidays etc?

I'm a teacher and if I take 2 weeks off LSL it takes me weeks to get everything organised so the lessons are prepared etc and teaching is not interrupted.
OK, I'm just jealous I guess. Sometimes I think it would be nice to walk away from work at the end of the day and have no responsibilities and not have to think about it again until the next day.
Rant over- I'll go back to writing my end of year reports now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rang a plumber the other week, his voicemail said he was on holiday. Rang him the day he came back, he remembered my message I left, came round the next day (today) and promptly quoted us a much lower number than the last plumber who looked at our job.

I think I like this guy. Younger and better looking than the last plumber too :D And he said we could stick our septic tank anywhere we want as long as its 2.5 metres from practically everything. Woo!

Yes, those sort of things are really annoying...really in job such as that there needs to be a system in place for another staff member to be covering the absent position. I am sure in most companies such systems/policies exist, they are just not carried out.

I am VERY grateful to have a JOB that stays at work...no take-home stuff, no after hours marking, no need to think about work after hours..once I walk out the doors, thats it, til I walk back in again. Outside work hours is MINE, and I dont want to share it! Hehe, dont think I would make a very good employee in a field I did have to take home work!:eek:

I dont know how accountable people should be in their jobs...it seems to me people are working longer hours, with more and more after hours work...For me, work is just work - a means to an end, i work to live, not live to work...

Nadia

When companies deam providing a good service paramount to business systems are usually in place to allow at the very least another employee to provide some kind of bridge between the person that normally deals with the customer and the customer.

Travelbug I think this PM agency could work more efficiently in customer service if it was a priority. I'd say they get the business they want providing what they do and that's good enough.

A good company and one actively seeking more business has at hand documentation or has available online all services previously provided and work in progress allowing others to deal with customers when required.

The standards in some industries aren't always as good as others imo.

Far be it for me to bore anyone here but here's a (typical) office day for me:

9.00 am rang contractor, reminded him I needed the keys back 'cause second contractor was coming to collect them to clean up gardens in courtyard surroundered by high brick wall, organised keys for front desk collection
9.05 rang real estate institute to clarify court process for rental arrears (long story), rang the Owner and explained the process, prepared cleaning and gardening word orders for this same property, emailed Owner as per our verbal conversation, added to computer notes
9.10 started downloading (123) photo's from previous days inspections on my antiquated (office), collected battery for camera
Signed in keys from previous days inspections (all 12 of them) was too busy to do it yesterday, had to tick them off key registry
Typed up reports for 12 property inspections, including cover page/photographs, wrote tenants letters where required (for example breaching for unkept gardens), printed off the (standard) cover letters to owners, had to write one an extensive email and explain gardens were reinspected, that they weren't up to scratch and that I'd organised our gardening contractor to attend to clean 'em up and we would be invoicing tenant, also in this process organised work maintenance orders where required - leaking taps, RCD (safety) compliance electric switches and smoke detectors
10.00 (or thereabouts) Emailed Owner who had complained about the gardening contractor who we had sent to clean up gardens at her investment property, she wasn't happy 'cause they had pruned the hedges as per her instructions (I actually lifted the wording from her email direct into the work order) and now she was wanting the hedges pruned to the FENCE line!! And to be invoiced (again) to the tenants
10.15 took a phone call from a concerned prospective tenant/single mother who has been rejected by 3 other agents 'cause of her breach notice from previous rental and did we have a property/owner who would take her?
10.16 BREATHED DEEPLY, SMILED
Read emails - various instructions from Owners, feedback from contractors, replied where appropriate
Rang alternate real estate agent and reminded them I still did not have a response regarding the fence claim for adjoining properties we manage, faxed them the quote twice, both times it bounced, left message for their PM to call me back
Got email from tenant who was wanting reimbursement for 2 night's hotel stay - his apartment got smoked out/fire and everyone on that floor were evicted, I'd faxed off his claim to strata company 2 months ago and they had not replied, told him I would follow up (again)
Replied to email from prospective tenant, she loved the photos I'd sent her for vacant property - in fact she wants to buy it!! Owner is overseas, told her I'd follow up and referred it to our sales department
Today I did x3 final bond out inspections. The x3 properties were approximately 20 minute drive from the office. Started by taking extensive photographs of gardens, power boards, then all rooms in the property. Then I opened the inventor (property condition report) and started at the front and ticked off, made notes in the margin for relevant cleaning/gardening, tested reticulation - first property the front sprinkler was snapped clean off, checked RCD switches for compliance, checked description of each room/wall for chips/damage, checked blinds for cleanliness and operation, checked window tracks for cleanliness, checked all light bulbs were working, plugs in sinks, checked that toilets weren't running, checked visually for any other damage/rubbish left etc
Rinse/repeat (twice)
On the way back to office stopped off to check keys on a new listing, owner had dropped off 3 sets but said there was one key that didn't work properly, stopped at her property and checked, made a mental calculation how long it will take me to do the ingoing PCR report (I take my laptop computer to do those, minimum of x2 hours)
Back at the office
BREATHE/SMILE (Oh I ate my sandwich in the car on the drive back)
Rang the tenants of the x3 outgoing bonds, explained the cleaning/gardening for each required, organised work orders, rang x1 local owner who complained bitterly about the RCD switches, explained it is acompliance requirement at change of tenancy and shared with him last week's little story - one of our current tenant's sons ALMOST electrocuted himself !! This owner has a new tenant going in on the Friday, old tenant couldn't fix the snapped sprinkler as he has already gone to the country, its such a small job for me to send a handyman. So I rang the new ingoing tenant and asked him to fix it and send us theinvoice and we'll take it out of the old tenant's bond (wrote it all down on the bond disbursement cover sheet)
BREATHE
Then about 3pm we got a doozie today...
Try this one on...New management, new tenant signed up, lease signed up, money paid, due to move in on friday
Except...
owner has returned from eastern states and has MOVED BACK INTO HIS PROPERTY
Tenant has already enrolled children in the local school, organised their furniture removal, got to be out of their current place etc etc
We explained to Owner he CAN NOT move back into his property as tenant has right of occupancy, it's a legally signed lease
Owner refusing to move
BREATHE
So we are lookng around for another comparative property in that suburb for hte tennat but problem is there aren't any!!!
Took phone call from international Owner, he wanted rent increased, new lease drawn up, maintenance items attended to, he got cross 'cause one of our staff had taken his instructions 2 months ago and hadn't sent the tenant the 60 day rent increase notice
BREATHE
Sorted it out!!
BREATHE

And guys, that's just a typical day, within that day is heaps more emails/phone calls/conversations

I sometimes read about landlords wanting property management for 4 or 5% management fees.

BREATHE

SEriously, I tell you there's very few occupations with staff more hard working than property managers!!

I guess the joke is I dont HAVE TO WORK as our investments/income/passive and otherwise are high enough that it isn't a necessity for me. But having siad that, as busy as my days get I LOVE being able to make a difference in the lives of people, that is why I get up each day and go back and do it. Btw I am only part time 3 days per week. So if you call me and I"m not at work I am SORRY but I work really hard and this way at least I don't burn out. (Last office I worked at was turning into 10 hours day and I burnt out after 7 months)

Be nice to your property managers okay? and if we make a mistake remember we're human. No, I'm not going to know your property as intimately and individually as you do BUT I do a damn bloody good job!!!

Now if I could just find an awesome PM to manage my own properties....

Travelbug a lot of times people take sick leave when they know they are leaving. Generally looking for the next job.

jesskaye101
Yes a good PM is hard to find! well done!

I get out of bed at 8-9
Check news, overnight OS markets and emails while having coffees & weetbix.
Maybe even trade something or another.
Make some phone calls, as there's always 5-6 on the list.
Have lunch, more coffee
Go out and do some work for a few hours.
Home at 5-5:30
Dinner, coffee
Family/relax time/friends
10pm-2am
few more hours work, prepare for next day.
check global markets
maybe even trade something or another.
12:29 wait for opening bell
catch up on reading.
~2am bed

even though after a few yrs of this my schedule is about to change with the main activities no longer being food & coffee, but work even in the mornings from 10am :(

I get out of bed at 8-9
Check news, overnight OS markets and emails while having coffees & weetbix.
Maybe even trade something or another.
Make some phone calls, as there's always 5-6 on the list.
Have lunch, more coffee
Go out and do some work for a few hours.
Home at 5-5:30
Dinner, coffee
Family/relax time/friends
10pm-2am
few more hours work, prepare for next day.
check global markets
maybe even trade something or another.
12:29 wait for opening bell
catch up on reading.
~2am bed

even though after a few yrs of this my schedule is about to change with the main activities no longer being food & coffee, but work even in the mornings from 10am :(

Now that's just cruel.

jesskay- Don't property managers get paid all that money JUST for collecting the rent?:D:D

Back