How bad do the elements on a stove need to be before replacement/repair?

Hello all,

An oven/stovetop all in one has those solid elements on top that have gone a bit rusty.

Can I just replace the stovetop bit or does the whole oven need replacing?

Is it dangerous once they've rusted a bit?

The tenant hasn't asked for it to be replaced, it's just been noted in the condition report by the agent and pics attached.

After some more experienced investors' opinions on what they would do / have done in similar situation.

Thank you very much as always :D

You can probably just clean the rust off and it'll work fine.

If its an issue, a new electric upright oven is about $600-800. I'd be replacing the lot, not trying to repair bits.

Thanks RumpledElf,

Just searched some threads on stovetops & seems there's a black pain you can put on the elements to make them 'new' again. Don't know that I'd trust that process myself though? Also seems just as pricy replacing one part of the stove as buying a new one!

Am looking at the new stove option. Emailing PM to see if tenants have complained. If not, I'll wait til new tenants coming & so it then.

That black paint actually comes with a stove, in a little tin.

We've been stove shopping lately, and we put a new one in about 2 years ago in a different house. You'd be surprised how awful a stove can look and still work. Just replace it when you change tenants if it looks bad, then you can advertise it as "with a brand new stove" :D

Cool - thanks again Rumpled Elf.

Oh, I never got that paint when I purchased my last stove! Ripped off!

As long as it's not dangerous, I'm ok if the tenants are ok with it ;)

As long as it's not dangerous, I'm ok if the tenants are ok with it ;)

I have had to replace the elements on a fairly regular basis, it sure beats buying a new stove especially if you can't get one that fits in the space of the old one. Solid elements last much longer than the coils however are far more likely to rust. The rust is usually easily cleaned off and can be prevented by using a purpose designed element paste. Problem is, I have never had a tennant that is prepared to apply the paste on a regular basis.
All in all I would highly recommend glass top stoves when considering a stove replacement.
A.

Hi ozsupra,

Thank you for that info.!

Can the rust be cleaned off with a brillo pad (how old am I using that term)...if you know what I mean?

Have never heard of a glass stovetop, can you give a description or post a link to a pic of one please?

Regards,
M&M

Unfortunately I am all too familiar with the term "brillo pad". Glass stove tops are quite common and usually come as separate to the oven, but not always. I'm sure you have seen them. And Yes, you can clean the rust off with steel wool or a brillo.
A.

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 182
Ahhhh, yes I have seen them, but thanks for the pic as I couldn't remember what they looked like!

I'll ask the PM if the rust can be cleaned off by the tenants then...hmmm...wonder how that'll go down ;)

M&M. I would second the motion to go for a ceramic top stove when replacing - not sure how they compare price wise to coil or plate.

I have had a ceramic top stove for 10 years ....won't say anymore in case I jinx myself. The previous stove had elements which was a bugger to keep clean and I did have to replace a couple of elements - same as in my IP. I was warned not to buy a stove with solid plate elements if living near the sea.

BTW, with ceramic tops get the conventional type with knobs as less to go wrong - although not as easy to clean as electronic with touch pad controls. A mate put in an electronic one when he reno'd his kitchen around the same time as me. One morning a couple of years back he noticed an electrical smell coming from the kitchen - the stove top was shorting and had to be fully replaced - repair $ = replacement $.

Last edited:
It is still works and the tenants aren't complaining then I don't think that there is an issue.

I'd be waiting until it is an issue before worrying too much.

I wouldn't replace the elements unless they didn't work. A bit of surface rust won't be a danger at all.

Last edited:
It is still works and the tenants are complaining then I don't think that there is an issue.

I'd be waiting until it is an issue before worrying too much.

I wouldn't replace the elements unless they didn't work. A bit of surface rust wont be a danger at all.

This is generally our approach to repairs and maintenance.
No since go looking for problems..they will find you easy enough

Back