How bad traffic noise if you live about 100 meters away from freeway

How bad traffic noise is if you live about 100 meters away from freeway?

Im interested in this one. No freeway near me yet but future plans ( 20 plus years)put one right past my street 100 meters away. Behind a huge wall If it does happen. Ill probably be elswhere by then but im very interested what people have to say.

I would not want to live 100 metres or closer to a freeway, but there are plenty of places further away that are devalued too.

When Mum was selling houses, I would say "what about XXXX street" and she would say "freeway noise". Some little pockets were not really very close, but due to the geography of the area there was a freeway "hum" heard in the area. It all depends on where the house is in relation to the freeway, higher or lower, and how the prevailing wind carries the noise.

Thought most of the newer ones (or recently updated ones) had some soundproofing (via walls, embankments?) as mandatory?

depends on

climate. windows opened or closed?
wind direction
traffic pattern. major routes can carry a lot of heavy truck traffic through the night bound interstate or regionally.
hoons. some stretches are nice and straight, with bridges and strategically located off ramps for boy racers to have their drag races, then skidaddle when their cockies spot the cops.

The final consideration is the quality of your neighbours. Probability is they won't be the suburb's choicest....they'll have a high threshold for noise, ergo expect them to play their stereo louder.

I know all this because my mother bought a place around 250 metres from the Bruce Highway north of Brisbane, and I can't bear to sleep there. Warned her, but she wanted to be near her friend's place.

i was in one area a while back.Right at the end of a dead end street.Houses all round exept for the wall directly on the end. verry little noise actually and it had the princess highway on the other side. It actually had a good feel about it. I guess this would be a best case situation.

Investigate double glazing.

I work in an inner city school and our building has huge windows fronting a busy street. Double glazing was recently installed and the difference is amazing. From constant screeching truck brakes we now have no discernable noise at all.
Marg

Can be totally fine

Agree with previous posters about all the things that can affect it. We have a place about 100ms from a busy freeway and you hear literally nothing. It's close to the beach though (the house is between the beach and the freeway), so I suspect the offshore winds blow the noise the other way. I think you have to check it out to assess it. I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

We also live near a railway line (as in opposite a railway line!) and the noise is minimal. Certainly a small price to pay for being 200ms from a station!

It also depends whether you are below the height of the road/ barrier, or above. I've seen houses which are right next to a freeway, but below the barrier, and there is almost no noise. But if a house is further away, and above the level of the road/ barrier, then its much noisier. ALso, sometimes the barrier will drop down for end of the road, and tehn ou get noise over the top of the barrier.
Pen

Look, it is not just the house that needs to be quiet. Who wants to be locked up in a house with all the doors and windows shut just for quiet?

People in Melbourne still go out into their yards to have BBQs etc. Who wants to hear traffic noise while you're entertaining?

noise?

i'd be more worried about the soot and pollution.

what pollution?

the pollution evident as sediment on everyone's roofs near any major road.

Back