How can people "love" renovating?

I'll leave it for the lovers! Did major Reno on a house that was a knockdown in a pretty ave suburb 15 yrs ago. Realised it would have been much more worth it in premium suburb. I could never do a total Reno again.

Take the next couple of days for example. I'll start work on the house at 8:30am tomorrow morning, work straight without any breaks until 6pm. Then leave for my actual job at 9:30pm and work until 6am. Then I'll wake up at 11 am and renovate until 6pm. Then Sunday I'll work on the house from 9am until 1pm then leave for my actual job from 1:30pm to 10:00pm. Etc...

Jesus. You should change your name from 'Tim86' to the 'The Energiser Bunny'.

I don't love renovating. I just dislike it less than I dislike having a boss. And the hard work is concentrated in a relatively short time and the payoff is bigger than if I went to the office. That makes up for it.

Take the next couple of days for example. I'll start work on the house at 8:30am tomorrow morning, work straight without any breaks until 6pm. Then leave for my actual job at 9:30pm and work until 6am. Then I'll wake up at 11 am and renovate until 6pm. Then Sunday I'll work on the house from 9am until 1pm then leave for my actual job from 1:30pm to 10:00pm. Etc...

WTF! That is crazy. Those schedules are a recipe for hating anything. Its not the reno itself thats the problem there.

I'm doing a DIY Garage/GF conversion at the moment (my third one lifetime, so getting better at stuff). I'm enjoying it. Apart from the tiling, its ok and satisfying once its finished, but it annoys me to get my hands dirty :p
What most people mean when they say "I love renos", is they mean they love looking at the finished result and feeling job satisfaction. No one really (exceptions to every rule) enjoys holding a paintbrush above their head while standing on a ladder.

So, as me, I like renos. As you, I'd hate it. My schedule is wake up at 10-11am every day, watch youtube video on "how to do tiling/flooring/fit architraves/fit a shower screen" and then attempt said task for 4-5 hours. Then I'll have a coffee with a mate and hit the gym. I should also add that my "real job" is play in my band 2-3 nights per week.

Yeah, If I worked 8-10 hours a day my GF conversion would take a month and a half instead of 3 months....but...y'know.

One thing I do these days is use labourers for the tedious unskilled stuff: filling skips, moving bricks, sanding, cleaning up etc. I get them on Airtasker.

One thing I do these days is use labourers for the tedious unskilled stuff: filling skips, moving bricks, sanding, cleaning up etc. I get them on Airtasker.

Never heard about Airtasker until now, gotta give it a go :)
Pity they don't have bikies for hire don't they? I need some hahaha

Airtasker is great. I've used to get people to do all sorts of things. I got a guy once to come over and spend hours digging out some bamboo. Another time I got somebody to clean a pile of bricks. I found somebody to help me clean a big space for a teenage party - and he mentioned that he had a bunch of laser lights and a smoke machine etc so I paid him to bring them over and set them up. And twice I have got someone to come around and teach my 14 year old daughter algebra.

Wish I could afford to pay for some labourers, but as it is I'll be chucking $6000 on the credit card to finish off stage one of the build.

But it's all good.

Had a fun day today putting up the temporary iron cladding at the back of the house (will be removed later for the stage 2 extension out the back).

I managed to slip with the iron and cut through all of the skin on my finger tip. Stood on a bit of wood with a nail sticking out of it which went about 1.5cm into my foot. And I shattered a grinding disc that flew apart and cut up my thumb.

Loving renovating right now :)

It will be okay once I finally get to do some internal work. Putting up gyprock is a breeze compared to the crap I've been doing. Sanding isn't a great deal of fun though.

Anyway that's enough of me complaining, better get back to work. I only did 10 hours of renovating today so this 8 hour overnight shift should be a cake walk :p

I managed to slip with the iron and cut through all of the skin on my finger tip. Stood on a bit of wood with a nail sticking out of it which went about 1.5cm into my foot. And I shattered a grinding disc that flew apart and cut up my thumb.

Loving renovating right now :)
..... Doctor? Hospital??:eek:

..... Doctor? Hospital??:eek:

Nah that's just everyday stuff. And I got a tetanus booster only a fortnight ago when I slipped with the hack saw and needed 4 stitches in the back of my hand. On the bright side that injury never really hurt that much because I managed to cut the nerve so I can't actually feel the back of my hand now. Only problem is I can't say I know something like the back of my hand anymore...

I just started on the reno journey. I know my limitations though. I will stick to stuff I can learn quickly and easily, like painting and tiling. More than that is out of my league and that's when I call in the tradies.

I love painting ( haven't got to tiling yet, but doesn't look too hard). I take before and after pictures and post them on fb for my friends and I to gloat over :D

Painting is pretty easy to do right and the impact is very high. It provides a lot of quick gratification, plus the knowledge that I saved a lot of $$$ by doing it myself.

Nah that's just everyday stuff. And I got a tetanus booster only a fortnight ago when I slipped with the hack saw and needed 4 stitches in the back of my hand. On the bright side that injury never really hurt that much because I managed to cut the nerve so I can't actually feel the back of my hand now. Only problem is I can't say I know something like the back of my hand anymore...

Bloody hell! No wonder you hate reno lol

Tim you are a walking time bomb with that much sleep. I suspect you'd get less injuries if you stopped pushing yourself so hard.

Remember there is only one of you and I'm sure your wife would prefer a Tim with all body parts attached.

I suspect renos are like children some days. You do love them but you don't have to like them.

I love what I do, but I don't always like it.

I just started on the reno journey. I know my limitations though. I will stick to stuff I can learn quickly and easily, like painting and tiling. More than that is out of my league and that's when I call in the tradies.

I love painting ( haven't got to tiling yet, but doesn't look too hard). I take before and after pictures and post them on fb for my friends and I to gloat over :D

Painting is pretty easy to do right and the impact is very high. It provides a lot of quick gratification, plus the knowledge that I saved a lot of $$$ by doing it myself.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

pinkboy

I'll leave it for the lovers! Did major Reno on a house that was a knockdown in a pretty ave suburb 15 yrs ago. Realised it would have been much more worth it in premium suburb. I could never do a total Reno again.

Ditto
Unless blue chip area where there is significant upside there are easier ways to make money in property that renovating.

So, is tiling super hard? Not something a noob can/ should do? :(

That's right, Mr MTR decided it was too hard to cut a tile so he just filled the corner with larger quantity of grout, not a good look, some people should just never renovate:rolleyes:

Problem with tiling is, if you don't get the tiles both flat and square, and evenly spaced all around, and level, it looks crap AND it's a complete tear-down to re-do it again. Also, laying the whole tiles is relatively easy, it's the cut tiles around the edges and corners that is hard and time consuming.

Problem with tiling is, if you don't get the tiles both flat and square, and evenly spaced all around, and level, it looks crap AND it's a complete tear-down to re-do it again. Also, laying the whole tiles is relatively easy, it's the cut tiles around the edges and corners that is hard and time consuming.

Same with paving. Mr Westminster has a rule of paving - which is 'no cuts!!'. The area WILL be multiples of the paving size

Back