How can people "love" renovating?

So, is tiling super hard? Not something a noob can/ should do? :(

The main difference is you can tell the difference between a DIY and a decent tilers finish.

A good tiler knows how to set out a whole house, not just chuck a full tile in the first corner and hope for the best. Nothing worse than seeing a 40cm cut along the entranceway and small cuts in every room. Single room tiling (such as an ensuite floor) you might get away with this method, then, maybe not.

I set out the whole house before laying a single tile, by using 'bays' of 4 tiles (which I set out using the actual tiles). So the whole house is set out in a grid pattern of chalk lines. Takes about 2hrs to do first up, but saves a day per 100m2 of tiling. Entrances and hallways are made sure they have the best sized cuts, and small cuts are tucked away where no-one will generally look. These bays also 'take-up' and sizey tiles, so they arent as noticable than a tiler who uses a straight-edge. Good tilers know where to use closures as well, without impacting on look.

Bathrooms can be disasterous if you dont waterproof properly, or if you knick the waterproofing while tiling without care. Easily done, with massive consequenses.

Plenty of $h!thou$e tilers out there too Im afraid. Always find one that comes highly recommended - and not one from a retail tile shop!

pinkboy

Problem with tiling is, if you don't get the tiles both flat and square, and evenly spaced all around, and level, it looks crap AND it's a complete tear-down to re-do it again. Also, laying the whole tiles is relatively easy, it's the cut tiles around the edges and corners that is hard and time consuming.

Same with paving. Mr Westminster has a rule of paving - which is 'no cuts!!'. The area WILL be multiples of the paving size

Yep, unless creating your room to exact size of full tiles, then cut are inevitable. Problem is we dont live in a perfect world like that, especially when tiling existing stuff. DIY people generally dont understand how to cut-in, or when to cut as you go - which takes them longer, makes them more frustrated = completing the job cr@pp!er.

Tiling is a 10,000hr skill for sure, especially to get to a good level.

pinkboy

Good tilers are few and far between and not interested in small jobs. Neither are the cr@ppy ones, for that matter. The good ones are the only ones who will genuinely be able to spot the lack of cut-ins and abundance of cut tiles.
You gotta get that 10 000 hrs somehow. :p

We (hubby and I) love renovating. I think the trick is to get in and out quick though. After 5 weeks of flat out renovating I'm ready to pack up.

But admittedly we have done all our renos while still working so it takes its toll.

I couldn't stand doing it if it dragged out for months.

I love the hands on stuff and also the reward at the end, knowing you've transformed a dump into something great.

When I retire we might do one a year for pocket money. :D

A typical afternoon on any renovation site ;).

Too right. They should sell "Fiddle dee dee" Jars at bunnings.

And travelbug I think this reno has lasted about 5 months now. Still have about 2 months before I finish stage one.

I agree the first 5 weeks are a breeze because you are all excited and motivated to take on the challenge then it slowly but surely starts to take it's toll.

Back