How Can Savings Keep up with Property Prices?

Keeping the money in term deposits is obviously not a good idea because property in the last year went up about 20% but term deposit only gives you about 6% so is there a way I can get exposure to residential real estate prices using small amounts of money?

Even though you are only getting 6%, you can still be saving funds of your own along the way.

This means you are accelerating the whole savings process.

On top of this, think about getting into a very cheap property for the first one.

This will allow you to get in sooner, and the sooner you are in, the sooner you start to climb the ladder.

Whoever wants it or needs it the most pays the most.
It's the universal law of negotiation.
But when buying with a big deposit, all the lenders want my business, so I get to pick & negotiate.
Though I gotta admit I've never worried about a few $$ here and there, I'd try to work out the long term cost and go with that.
$10mth certainly would not have made a difference even when I was 18 and term deposits were earning >10% yr

We don't pay any fees for anything with the banks either (a couple of different banks: acc's, mortgage, LOC, CC's). We shop around and negotiate. Having said that, fees are not in and of themselves a dealbreaker - it's the deal as a whole; fees, rates, terms, etc.

Well heres my setup to date. May help some of you.

At the time when i got my loan the CBA had an special loan introduced which i got. (Im not too sure if the loan is still on offer, I don't think it is, from memory it was a loan that was only going to hang around for a few months.) It was when interest rates were really high, so i guess good timing.

My savings account. I don't withdraw any money out of it hence why no fees, in any event the only way it would attract a fee of some sought is if i was to withdraw money out of it on more then 2 occasions in 3 months. This would attract a $2 fee per withdrawal, however i have a 50k relationship with the CBA- keep reading below.

Next i have my transaction account, i opend it up at the time of which i got my loan, now at this point in time i was given the offer off linking any one of my accounts to the home loan without this account attracting any fees, so hence why i opend an transactions account up and linked it.

Their is also an specific clause in my home loan contract which stipulates that If i have a relationship with the bank of more the 50k i pay no fees at all whatsoever.

Ive set it up to suit my needs, it works for me. I will never pay any fees, I refuse too or ill just take my money elsewhere. It's that simple.

Hope that hepls.

I have a corporate account with HSBC so I dont pay any fees either :) I pay the initial valutation fee and account set up fee but that is also all halved. Works out at about $400 to set up the loan and then nothing from there

I'm not sure I completely understand the problem. I think you need to quote some figures.

e.g. $400K property. Need $40K deposit + another $10-20K for costs. Call it $60K.

If you can't save at least $1K per month then a $400K property is probably above your price range. At $12K per month the property would have to be rising by $100K a year or 25% for you not to be gaining ground. That is happening this year in some places, but it can't happen for that long (otherwise property would double every 3 years).

Saving on a single income is much tougher than it is for DINKS. e.g. we saved over $5-6K per month for two years before buying.

Back