How can they do this???

Hi All,

Juat saw an ad on TV, text "Nude" to 123 456 and then you can use your phone to view your "hot" friends nude!!!!

How do these companys get away with something that is so far from the truth :confused: !!!!!! ??????

GG

Slightly off topic but in the same vein - how do lunch shops/snack bars etc get away with saying buttered toast, buttered roll and so on when it's margarine!!! Surely this is straight out false advertising. Ever since margarine became the 9th Wonder of the World and was going to lower everybodys cholesterol rates and heart attack figures (which it hasn't) you can't get real butter in these shops. And yet, when you go to any sort of self serve food place there's usually a basket of foil wrapped squares of butter near the bread rolls and margarine is nowhere to be seen. (Maybe because you can't make a square of margarine? I dunno.)

I recently had a conversation with one of these food shops that sell baked jacket potatos and one of the fillings was butter, cheese etc. I asked if it was real butter and he asked his wife out the back who assured him it was, so I ordered the spud. Meanwhile the wife bought the 'butter' out to show me and it was marg. When I pointed this out she asked me what the difference was. When I'd stopped looking in disbelief for a few moments I explained that apart from the taste, butter is made from cows milk/cream and marg is made from oils, chemicals, colouring etc.

They were lovely people and very apologetic for not having butter and offered me my substitute food for free which was nice of them. Usually when I quiz food shops about the use of the word buttered when it's marg I'm met with defensiveness and frosty replies like I've accused them of cheating or something.

We use that devondale dairy milk spread (or something) ... its got butter in it but its also got canola too. Is *that* butter :p

Certainly tastes nice.

And you can get marg in those little packets, its more of a blob than a square though, in a plastic packet you peel the top off not foil wrapped.

Google Trans fatty acids and you will see why the Marg crowd is having to advertise so much again recently.

Some of the "better" margs have a quite low TFA content, but some are so high in TFAs that some would describe this stuff like axle grease.

ta
rolf

I remember getting an email once about margarine saying that if you put it outside insects and birds don't go anywhere near it, that it doesn't 'go off' like most food and grow fungus etc and that it was only one something (polymer?) from plastic. So is it really a food at all?

I also remember when marg first got all it's hype, hearing a food scientist on the radio say that it was made at very high temperatures, temperatures that the body can't reach so therefore can't process margarine properly and pass it through the body.

Regardless of all the info on both I stick with butter. I like the taste and know what it's made of.

Juat saw an ad on TV, text "Nude" to 123 456 and then you can use your phone to view your "hot" friends nude!!!!

it's just a picture of a naked body - M or F - without a head. you're meant to let your imagination do the rest. my younger cousin got one and thought it was hilarious - i just smacked her upside the head and told her she could have bought 8 iTunes for that....

Ever since margarine became the 9th Wonder of the World and was going to lower everybodys cholesterol rates and heart attack figures (which it hasn't) you can't get real butter in these shops.

butter is better. period. we get it all the time at the shops tho...?

we've made the change. we use less and feel better for it. our daughter is lactose intolerant and she can even take butter.

butter is stable. like olive oil, coconut oil and palm oil. the only truly stable oil is coconut oil - when you cook with it it doesn't break down or go rancid (olive/palm/butter will go rancid after cooking). salted or unsalted - it's just a taste thing.

leave butter out in the heat and it doesn't change colour either

"soft" butter spreads are just blended butter and vegetable oil - vegetable oil is already rancid when it gets to you - so why put it in butter...?

margarine is oils - all unstable. very bad for your liver and bowel.

you're right olly - it's not a food. it doesn't belong in your body. and butter doesn't get fungus - that'd be like saying honey goes "off"....

Oh, those things are truly repugnant. The MIL buys them at every opportunity (they don't sell them in SA?) and serves them as if they are ambrosia. They are cloyingly sweet.

I had them for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Someone at work was selling them for a fundraiser - had them flown over from Melbourne as they don't sell them in WA.

I wish I hadn't bothered to buy them - certainly nothing special - and I agree cloyingly sweet.

Back